Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting old lining paper

My wife wants to get some decorators in to repaint the bedroom. The
room has (previously painted) lining paper which in some areas has
lifted slightly at the joins / bottom of the skirting board. There
are even some parts where the lining paper rolls overlap slightly.
What should I reasonably be expecting a painter/decorator to do
here?

One guy said he would trim the paper away with a blade and fill.
Others, I'm sure, would just leave and repaint. The house is about
100 years old so I know I shouldn't want/expect a perfect finish to
every surface.

Regards

Charlie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 10:50*am, Charlie wrote:
My wife wants to get some decorators in to repaint the bedroom. *The
room has (previously painted) lining paper which in some areas has
lifted slightly at *the joins / bottom of the skirting board. There
are even some parts where the lining paper rolls overlap slightly.
What should I reasonably be expecting a painter/decorator to do
here?

One guy said he would trim the paper away with a blade and fill.
Others, I'm sure, would just leave and repaint. *The house is about
100 years old so I know I shouldn't want/expect a perfect finish to
every surface.

Regards

Charlie

He will do what you are prepared to pay for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:50:54 +0100, Charlie
wrote:

My wife wants to get some decorators in to repaint the bedroom. The
room has (previously painted) lining paper which in some areas has
lifted slightly at the joins / bottom of the skirting board. There
are even some parts where the lining paper rolls overlap slightly.
What should I reasonably be expecting a painter/decorator to do
here?

One guy said he would trim the paper away with a blade and fill.
Others, I'm sure, would just leave and repaint. The house is about
100 years old so I know I shouldn't want/expect a perfect finish to
every surface.

Regards

Charlie

If it is nice and dry, you might manage to sand the excess of the overlap
down.

I have done that a few times where the awkwardness of getting a good join
made it easier to allow the overlap, let it dry, and sand.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Overlapping and using a rolling cutter, then removing the cut-offs while
wet is easier still.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 6:32*pm, harry wrote:
On Sep 12, 10:50*am, Charlie wrote:

My wife wants to get some decorators in to repaint the bedroom. *The
room has (previously painted) lining paper which in some areas has
lifted slightly at *the joins / bottom of the skirting board. There
are even some parts where the lining paper rolls overlap slightly.
What should I reasonably be expecting a painter/decorator to do
here?

One guy said he would trim the paper away with a blade and fill.
Others, I'm sure, would just leave and repaint. *The house is about
100 years old so I know I shouldn't want/expect a perfect finish to
every surface.

Regards

Charlie

He will do what you are prepared to pay for.

Sure, any idea what is reasonable to expect a professional painter/
decorator to do in this sort of situation.

It's just that I know posters here usually go the extra mile to do
jobs properly :-)

Charlie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 10:35*pm, Charlie wrote:
On Sep 12, 6:32*pm, harry wrote:

[...]

I'd probably stick the edges back down, and use filler to disappear
anything noticeable. You takes your choice, pays your money.

NT

Preparing lime plaster wall for lining paper and painting Julian[_3_] UK diy 8 March 2nd 12 10:58 AM
lining paper Stephen[_6_] UK diy 21 April 3rd 09 08:44 AM
Do you need to "prime" lining paper in any way? Crash Test UK diy 2 November 22nd 04 12:43 PM
Lining paper...... mo UK diy 4 July 4th 04 12:53 PM
Re-using Lining Paper Nick UK diy 2 March 24th 04 01:58 PM