Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cracked DG window frame - solution ?

OK the obvious solution is replacement, but a temporary solution is
required.

My daughter's house has a damp wall immediately under the upstairs
bathroom window. The silicone round the window has been renewed, but
the damp has continued. I took a look yesterday and spotted that the
frame under the opening section of the window has cracked at the
bottom hinge point. The crack neatly lines up with the seal on the
window so water is being wicked into the crack.

The whole window will need replacing but a temporary repair is
required in the meantime to stop further water ingress which is now
affecting the kitchen downstairs. Any suggestions bearing in mind
that anything with any thickness with stop the openable window
shutting.

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message

The whole window will need replacing but a temporary repair is
required in the meantime to stop further water ingress which is now
affecting the kitchen downstairs. Any suggestions bearing in mind
that anything with any thickness with stop the openable window
shutting.

How temporary?
Vaseline or similar grease will keep the water out, but will make repair
difficult is you want to try glue later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

OK the obvious solution is replacement, but a temporary solution is
required.

My daughter's house has a damp wall immediately under the upstairs
bathroom window. The silicone round the window has been renewed, but
the damp has continued. I took a look yesterday and spotted that the
frame under the opening section of the window has cracked at the
bottom hinge point. The crack neatly lines up with the seal on the
window so water is being wicked into the crack.

The whole window will need replacing but a temporary repair is
required in the meantime to stop further water ingress which is now
affecting the kitchen downstairs. Any suggestions bearing in mind
that anything with any thickness with stop the openable window
shutting.

Thanks
Rob

Could do with a photo - but taking a guess:

How about drilling a 8mm hole near the crack and injecting expanding PU foam
to fill the entire of the frame void in the locality to the crack?

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2011 22:46, robgraham wrote:
OK the obvious solution is replacement, but a temporary solution is
required.

My daughter's house has a damp wall immediately under the upstairs
bathroom window. The silicone round the window has been renewed, but
the damp has continued. I took a look yesterday and spotted that the
frame under the opening section of the window has cracked at the
bottom hinge point. The crack neatly lines up with the seal on the
window so water is being wicked into the crack.

The whole window will need replacing but a temporary repair is
required in the meantime to stop further water ingress which is now
affecting the kitchen downstairs. Any suggestions bearing in mind
that anything with any thickness with stop the openable window
shutting.

Thanks
Rob

Run a clean soldering iron along the crack?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2011 08:07, Jim K wrote:
On Sep 11, 10:46 pm, wrote:
[...]

Toolstation Pro Fill (2 part) is great for hairline cracks in render.
Penetrates where nothing else will.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 8:07*am, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Hi guys and thanks for the suggestions.

Tim - I would have had to get a longish ladder to get a photo, or have
very long arms! Is expanding foam a water sealant - the idea sounds
good as it might be a permanent cure. ?
Dennis - grease; yes but for how long ?
Steve - difficult access for 'welding' and what if it goes right
through
Jim - duct tape is nearest what I am going to try; I got a suggestion
for Tenacious Tape for another task (tent groundsheet repair) and it
sounds as if it might do the business - clearly sticks to plastic
(tenaciously!), waterproof, thin and should be easy to apply.
Stuart - Pro-fill doesn't look as if it sticks to plastic - "concrete,
metal and wood".

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

Tim - I would have had to get a longish ladder to get a photo, or have
very long arms! Is expanding foam a water sealant - the idea sounds
good as it might be a permanent cure. ?

Yes it is. It is not UV stable though, so a bit of sealant over the
injection hole would be a good idea.

Also, it is very pervasive and sticky - so if this is a crack in the frame
like I am thinking:

Drill hole, have a peek in and see if you are ino the frame cavity. Then
insert foam tube or gun (throwaway PU foam with tubre rather than gun would
be OK).

Inject hard and fast for a few seconds to fill the whole of the local cavity
with foam from front to back - it will go sideways in the cavity a couple of
inches if you inject enough.

The main thing is you want it to over the crack all the way along to avoid
more wicking issues.

It will ooze back out the injection hole fo a while afterwards as it
continues expanding - keep off decorations and carpet and clothing.

Steve - difficult access for 'welding' and what if it goes right
through

You'd have to "stir" the crack slightly (couple of mm) as you go along to
mix the molten plastic. I expect you'd have 3+mm of plastic to play with. An
offcut of uPVCcan always be used as filler if required.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Drill holes at end of crack to prevent propagating. Inject foam into
frame. There are several cells, hard to fill them all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
robgraham wrote:

Tim - I would have had to get a longish ladder to get a photo, or have
very long arms! Is expanding foam a water sealant - the idea sounds
good as it might be a permanent cure. ?

Yes it is. It is not UV stable though, so a bit of sealant over the
injection hole would be a good idea.

Beware, one part expanding foam is open cell and so is water permeable.
It will slow down water transmission but if water is still entering then
it will saturate and damp will pass. AIUI, 2 part foam is closed cell
but I don't think it is readily available in small quantities.

Foam might still serve to support cracked section though with tissue
impregnated resin on top to seal it to the weather.
--
fred