Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a shower

Another general query checking what I get told.

My dad needs a shower fitted. He is getting old. OH said he would fit one.
So we got one ( dad and me - one he liked) from Homebase.

OH is now saying it cannot be fitted because its a large one ( not a square
cubicle) and he will have to hang it off a plasterboard wall on the one
end. The room is not tiled presently and I thought he would stuff it in and
we would decorate afterwards. He also says he will have to raise the base to
10" to get the drop for the waste . We don't mind this but OH is making it a
big issue. The floor of the room is solid

So if, like a lot of folks, you have such plasterboard walling, how do you
fit these things?

Would just like to know if I am asking the impossible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2011 10:44, sweetheart wrote:
Another general query checking what I get told.

My dad needs a shower fitted. He is getting old. OH said he would fit
one. So we got one ( dad and me - one he liked) from Homebase.

A link to whatever it is you have bought would help... some sort of cubicle?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
writes
Another general query checking what I get told.

My dad needs a shower fitted. He is getting old. OH said he would fit
one. So we got one ( dad and me - one he liked) from Homebase.

OH is now saying it cannot be fitted because its a large one ( not a
square cubicle) and he will have to hang it off a plasterboard wall on
the one end. The room is not tiled presently and I thought he would
stuff it in and we would decorate afterwards. He also says he will have
to raise the base to 10" to get the drop for the waste . We don't mind
this but OH is making it a big issue. The floor of the room is solid

So if, like a lot of folks, you have such plasterboard walling, how do
you fit these things?

Would just like to know if I am asking the impossible.

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm sounds like OH is stalling for some reason :-)

I fitted a shower cubicle in a corner, one wall brick and the other
plasterboard. There were no problems, it was useful to know where the
noggins were so that there was something secure to screw to, but I don't
think even this was essential.

Definitely tile first and then fit the cubicle, when fitting the frame
of the cubicle to the tiles a bead of sealant will make it water tight,
much easier than tiling up to the frame afterwards.

I too had to raise mine above the floor to get a decent drop for the
waste. No problem at all, I just bought some 3" X 2" and made a
framework and then clad it top and sides with marine ply. I also made
a step so that it was easier to get up into the shower. When the room
was carpeted the fitter did a marvellous job of covering the ply up to
the base of the shower so that it looked almost professional.

The fun bit was getting the water and electrics
in.......................

I hope you and your dad get it sorted.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2011 13:07, Bill wrote:
In message , sweetheart
writes
[...]

Make sure the tray is fitted absolutely rigidly or the seal to the
tiling will fail very quickly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2011 10:44, sweetheart wrote:
Another general query checking what I get told.

My dad needs a shower fitted. He is getting old. OH said he would fit
one. So we got one ( dad and me - one he liked) from Homebase.

OH is now saying it cannot be fitted because its a large one ( not a
square cubicle) and he will have to hang it off a plasterboard wall on
the one end. The room is not tiled presently and I thought he would
stuff it in and we would decorate afterwards. He also says he will have
to raise the base to 10" to get the drop for the waste . We don't mind
this but OH is making it a big issue. The floor of the room is solid

So if, like a lot of folks, you have such plasterboard walling, how do
you fit these things?

Would just like to know if I am asking the impossible.

The weight of the cubical it taken on the tray - the wall fixing only
need stop it flapping about.

With a solid floor, the tray will need to be raised a bit - how much
depends on how far to the drain exit. Four inches of lift ought to be
enough for a run of a couple of metres.

The piccie looks like a stone resin tray. If so the order of work would be:

Install staging for tray, there or four 4x2" on edge would probably do
for support. Cover with 1/2" WBP ply with a cutout in it for the waste
fitting.

Lay a couple of offcuts of 15mm plastic waster pipe (or similar) across
the ply to act as supports for the tray (these are heavy). Mix a bed of
mortar and spread it out on the tray to a bit over 1/2" deep. Lay the
tray onto the pipes and slide into position (the pipes save your back
when working in a corner!) Pull the pipes out dropping the tray onto the
mortar. Using a level, tap it down so it makes good contact all over the
base, and is level. Apply silicone sealant down the wall adjoining edges
of the tray.

Fit the waste to the tray.

Now tile the space down to the tray - leave a tile thickness gap at the
bottom. Grout the tiles, but not the corner or tray adjoining lines.
Silicone those.

Finally fit the cubical.

The above assumes you are already installed the shower itself!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you all for the explanations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

Make sure the tray is fitted absolutely rigidly or the seal to the
tiling will fail very quickly

Based on experience of my mother-in-law's shower, yes, what Hugh said.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2011 10:44, sweetheart wrote:
Another general query checking what I get told.

My dad needs a shower fitted. He is getting old. OH said he would fit
one. So we got one ( dad and me - one he liked) from Homebase.

OH is now saying it cannot be fitted because its a large one ( not a
square cubicle) and he will have to hang it off a plasterboard wall on
the one end. The room is not tiled presently and I thought he would
stuff it in and we would decorate afterwards. He also says he will have
to raise the base to 10" to get the drop for the waste . We don't mind
this but OH is making it a big issue. The floor of the room is solid

So if, like a lot of folks, you have such plasterboard walling, how do
you fit these things?

Would just like to know if I am asking the impossible.

I *hate* tiling in showers: there are various sorts of 12 mm ply with a
high quality laminate surface. Aquamura is the only one which
immediately comes to mind, but there are others. They do aluminium
extrusions to do good 90 degree junctions.

You will have to sort out a "plinth" to get a suitable fall for the
waste. Make it substantial.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newshound wrote:
[...]

I agree. I installed an 'offset quad' shower cubicle about three years ago
when I completely re-fitted the bathroom. I used 'Mermaid' laminate boards
for lining the walls inside the cubicle. Mermaid provide an excellent seal
for the right-angled joint between the two wall boards - and between the
bottom of the boards and the tray. The boards are very easy to clean - and
you avoid all that discoloured grout that you invariably get with tiled
walls inside shower cubicles. Also, you screw the shower cubicle frame into
the boards, which deals with the problem of screwing into plasterboard.

My shower tray came fitted with adjustable 'feet' that enabled it to be
raised by about 4" (this allowed for the fitment of a purpose made curved
plastic 'skirt' around the base of the tray. That 4" allowed for a
sufficient 'fall' for water to drain through the piping to the opposite
corner of the bathroom.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:44:39 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

He also says he will have to raise the base to
10" to get the drop for the waste . We don't mind this but OH is making it a
big issue. The floor of the room is solid

A raise of 10" seems extreme - quite difficult for an old geezer to
get in and out of safely with wet floors.
4" is more usual - just enough to get the shower trap clearance under
the tray and commonly done with concrete blocks on their sides.
If the 4" raise necessitates a new hole cut in the wall for the shower
waste pipe, then so be it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:44:39 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

He also says he will have to raise the base to
10" to get the drop for the waste . We don't mind this but OH is
making it a big issue. The floor of the room is solid

A raise of 10" seems extreme - quite difficult for an old geezer to
get in and out of safely with wet floors.
4" is more usual - just enough to get the shower trap clearance under
the tray and commonly done with concrete blocks on their sides.
If the 4" raise necessitates a new hole cut in the wall for the shower
waste pipe, then so be it.

The shower tray I bought simply came with four adjustable feet that you
could screw in and out to 'level' the tray properly. I just assumed that
they all came with this means of adjustment?

The 4" raise on my shower tray is sufficient to allow for the trap - and
sufficient 'fall' for the shower to drain through pipes laid along two walls
and into the main soil pipe which is in the opposite corner of the bathroom
to the shower cubicle. I agree with you - I cannot see why a 10" raise
should be needed.

The only problem I had was that the shower drain joins in with the bath
drain - and initially, after installation, I found that when the bath was
emptying, the water backed up the pipe and started filling the shower tray!

A Hepvo trap, fitted horizontally after the main trap, solved that problem
completely.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 16:51:21 +0100, "Ret." wrote:

I agree with you - I cannot see why a 10" raise
should be needed.

I suspect it's to get the trap above an existing drain line, as he
can't be arsed to cut a new hole in the wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2011 16:51, Ret. wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:44:39 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

He also says he will have to raise the base to
10" to get the drop for the waste . We don't mind this but OH is
making it a big issue. The floor of the room is solid

A raise of 10" seems extreme - quite difficult for an old geezer to
get in and out of safely with wet floors.
4" is more usual - just enough to get the shower trap clearance under
the tray and commonly done with concrete blocks on their sides.
If the 4" raise necessitates a new hole cut in the wall for the shower
waste pipe, then so be it.

The shower tray I bought simply came with four adjustable feet that you
could screw in and out to 'level' the tray properly. I just assumed that
they all came with this means of adjustment?

That sounds like a fibreglass tray... these indeed have a frame with
adjustable feet usually. They are ok, but sound hollow and are a bit
bendy at times.

The stone resin trays are made from concrete with a resin gel coat layer
on top to give a smooth Finnish. They feel nicer under foot, and are
much quieter. They also have the advantage of usually being slimmer - so
on a suspended floor (joist direction permitted) can offer very low step
heights.

The 4" raise on my shower tray is sufficient to allow for the trap - and
sufficient 'fall' for the shower to drain through pipes laid along two
walls and into the main soil pipe which is in the opposite corner of the
bathroom to the shower cubicle. I agree with you - I cannot see why a
10" raise should be needed.

Agreed, that would be excessive.

The only problem I had was that the shower drain joins in with the bath
drain - and initially, after installation, I found that when the bath
was emptying, the water backed up the pipe and started filling the
shower tray!

A Hepvo trap, fitted horizontally after the main trap, solved that
problem completely.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 05/09/2011 16:51, Ret. wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Nope - it's definitely stone resin. You should have seen me struggling to
get it up the stairs - it weighed a ton! I never expected a shower tray to
weigh so much.

I laid plywood over the bathroom floor boards (because I used Karndean
flooring tiles), and then, under each of the tray feet, I put another square
of timber (cut off a length of floorboard) to spread the load. I was a
little concened about how such a heavy tray, sat on four feet on a suspended
floor, would maintain its seal with the Mermaid wallboards I used - but in 3
years the seal is still perfect. (Their very clever 'transeal' bottom seal
helps with this).

http://www.mermaidpanels.com/technic...on/fitting.php

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2011 09:15, Ret. wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 05/09/2011 16:51, Ret. wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Oh well live and learn. Not seen one with legs before!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2011 16:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/09/2011 09:15, Ret. wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 05/09/2011 16:51, Ret. wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The shower tray I bought simply came with four adjustable feet that
you could screw in and out to 'level' the tray properly. I just
assumed that they all came with this means of adjustment?

That sounds like a fibreglass tray... these indeed have a frame with
adjustable feet usually. They are ok, but sound hollow and are a bit
bendy at times.

Nope - it's definitely stone resin. You should have seen me struggling
to get it up the stairs - it weighed a ton! I never expected a shower
tray to weigh so much.

Oh well live and learn. Not seen one with legs before!

These are really good:
http://www.coram.co.uk/showertrays-riser.html

Not quite a 'stone resin' tray but they are certainly as rigid as one
(seems no different to the end-user); and dead easy to lift and install;
having fitted both at home I would never do a conventional stone resin
one again, with all that weight to lift upstairs and lower into
position; and all that faffing about with mortar beds...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

These are really good:
http://www.coram.co.uk/showertrays-riser.html

Not quite a 'stone resin' tray but they are certainly as rigid as one
(seems no different to the end-user); and dead easy to lift and install;
having fitted both at home I would never do a conventional stone resin
one again, with all that weight to lift upstairs and lower into
position; and all that faffing about with mortar beds...

David

They look excellent. Presumably have a high density foam to provide
rigidity without weigh. I like the upstands too. Bookmarked for next time!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2011 16:23, Newshound wrote:

These are really good:
http://www.coram.co.uk/showertrays-riser.html

Not quite a 'stone resin' tray but they are certainly as rigid as one
(seems no different to the end-user); and dead easy to lift and install;
having fitted both at home I would never do a conventional stone resin
one again, with all that weight to lift upstairs and lower into
position; and all that faffing about with mortar beds...

David

They look excellent. Presumably have a high density foam to provide
rigidity without weigh. I like the upstands too. Bookmarked for next time!

What are they like price wise?

--
Cheers,

John.

Fitting connected flexible shower feed to shower bar valve Keefiedee UK diy 1 March 13th 11 05:07 PM
fitting shower mogga UK diy 6 December 3rd 09 08:41 PM
B&Q Shower Fitting Nodge[_2_] UK diy 3 June 11th 09 11:08 PM
How is this shower fitting attached? Paul C UK diy 1 November 15th 06 08:19 PM
Fitting a shower Dean Miller UK diy 3 November 7th 04 09:40 AM