Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bye bye 60W

60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-31, Jethro wrote:
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

Don't forget to check your stock of 60W bulbs. I don't think I need any,
but I shall check.

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Probably. Many (most?) security lights/timers/dimmers, etc., don't work
with CFLs since a lot of them pass a small current through the bulb all
the time.

I have a switch with a built-in timer which I fitted in the kitchen - it
has a flap which you press for on/off and which drops down to reveal the
timer controls. It's only meant for incandescent bulbs, but I managed to
rig it up with a little ballast which I bought from RS or Farnell, which
goes in parallel, and provides the tiny flow of current the timer needs
to stay working.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:28:25 +0000, Jethro wrote:

60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

That depends how many bulbs you have stockpiled.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Just stock up quick. I've got enough 100w incandescents on my garage shelf
to last me out...

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:06:56 +0100, Ret. wrote:

Jethro wrote:
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Just stock up quick. I've got enough 100w incandescents on my garage
shelf to last me out...

But a shelf collapse would be a disaster. Hide them in multiple
locations. Also beneficial in case the light bulb police come calling.

(I don't think outdoor CFLs are even viable over here - too cold for them
in the winter)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 12:28*pm, Jethro wrote:
60W light bulb being banned

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

You could always move to halogen GLS bulbs. Similiar light output, and
saves a bit of energy too (42W vs 60W).

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

I can not imagine how the great historical houses of England are going to go
on, like Cragside House in Northumberland,
Swann must be turning in his grave.

I have a nice stock of 100w Bulbs and will make sure I have a good stock of
all the others.

It's going to cost churches and a host of other buildings alot of money
having to change fittings.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Unlike when the 100W was discontinued, shops don't seem to be touting the
fiction that the bulbs are banned for sale from that date. They are just
banned for manufacture/import. So this time they didn't run down their
stock months ahead.

As there is still a supply of 100W bulbs for sale (at a price), I am sure
that you will still be able to find people selling 60W for years to some.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro writes:
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

I'm not aware that the UK legislation has been fixed to be
effective. Certainly, all the hardware stores still have 100W
lamps - they're easy to find if you stay away from supermarkets
and multiples who entered into a voluntary agreement.

There haven't been any incandescent lamps in my house for over
10 years, except some 12V 10W ones in one fitting. I tend to
look after the lighting in some other family members' homes,
and there was one room with a 3-lamp pendant and 2 wall lights
which all used 60W, mainly because they're on an expensive
(X10 DIN-rail) dimmer.

About a year ago, I converted them all to 35W 12V capsules.
The light output is noticably more than the 60W mains was
(unfortuately, I didn't measure it before stripping out
the mains lamps, so I can't tell you how much more).
Dimmer works fine too - a great result.
The electronic transformers are in the room above, and I
had to rearrange the wiring, including using 6mm² between
the transformer and the 3-lamp pendant rose to avoid too
much voltage drop. It's all still T&E, so I can revert back
to mains operation without pulling up the floor again.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 12:28*pm, Jethro wrote:
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Don't care. Don't posses a single incandescent lamp. Haven't now for
getting on for ten years.
It's just a matter of acclimatisation.
Oh I lie. There may be a few old ones in a box in the loft. (My wife
won't throw nothing out). You can have them if you like.

I suppose stick-in-the-muds were whinging when the gas mantle was
invented back in 18dot. William Murdoch must be spinning in his grave.
Heh Heh.
You gotta move with the times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Jethro writes:
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

I'm not aware that the UK legislation has been fixed to be effective.
Certainly, all the hardware stores still have 100W lamps - they're easy
to find if you stay away from supermarkets and multiples who entered into
a voluntary agreement.

There haven't been any incandescent lamps in my house for over 10 years,
except some 12V 10W ones in one fitting. I tend to look after the
lighting in some other family members' homes, and there was one room with
a 3-lamp pendant and 2 wall lights which all used 60W, mainly because
they're on an expensive (X10 DIN-rail) dimmer.

About a year ago, I converted them all to 35W 12V capsules.

these are still 'incandescent'.

The light output is noticably more than the 60W mains was (unfortuately,
I didn't measure it before stripping out the mains lamps, so I can't tell
you how much more). Dimmer works fine too - a great result. The
electronic transformers are in the room above, and I had to rearrange the
wiring, including using 6mm² between the transformer and the 3-lamp
pendant rose to avoid too much voltage drop. It's all still T&E, so I can
revert back to mains operation without pulling up the floor again.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Jethro" wrote in message
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

I can not imagine how the great historical houses of England are going to
go on, like Cragside House in Northumberland,
Swann must be turning in his grave.

I have a nice stock of 100w Bulbs and will make sure I have a good stock
of all the others.

It's going to cost churches and a host of other buildings alot of money
having to change fittings.....

No-one has to change any fittings

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 14:20, harry wrote:
On Aug 31, 12:28 pm, wrote:
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Don't care. Don't posses a single incandescent lamp. Haven't now for
getting on for ten years.
It's just a matter of acclimatisation.
Oh I lie. There may be a few old ones in a box in the loft. (My wife
won't throw nothing out). You can have them if you like.

I suppose stick-in-the-muds were whinging when the gas mantle was
invented back in 18dot. William Murdoch must be spinning in his grave.
Heh Heh.
You gotta move with the times.

There's a pub in Beverley that is still lit by gas. Beer's gone up to
about £1.50 a pint though :-(

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:20:46 -0700, harry wrote:

On Aug 31, 12:28Â*pm, Jethro wrote:
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Don't care. Don't posses a single incandescent lamp. Haven't now for
getting on for ten years.
It's just a matter of acclimatisation. Oh I lie. There may be a few old
ones in a box in the loft. (My wife won't throw nothing out). You can
have them if you like.

I suppose stick-in-the-muds were whinging when the gas mantle was
invented back in 18dot. William Murdoch must be spinning in his grave.
Heh Heh.
You gotta move with the times.

Yes harry. Very good harry.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim...." wrote in message ...

"Jethro" wrote in message ...
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Unlike when the 100W was discontinued, shops don't seem to be touting the fiction that the bulbs are banned for sale from that
date. They are just banned for manufacture/import. So this time they didn't run down their stock months ahead.

As there is still a supply of 100W bulbs for sale (at a price), I am sure that you will still be able to find people selling 60W
for years to some.

I trust that was a typo, I don't want to find myself on the wrong side of the
"incandescent divide".
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:32:16 +0000, Huge wrote:

It's only meant for incandescent bulbs, but I managed to
rig it up with a little ballast which I bought from RS or Farnell, which
goes in parallel, and provides the tiny flow of current the timer needs
to stay working.

What value of ballast. Would a capacitor in parallel with the MF bulb do
the trick for a PIR that only works with tungsten bulbs.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Shew wrote:

There's a pub in Beverley that is still lit by gas. Beer's gone up to
about £1.50 a pint though :-(

The White Horse? IIRC,the room that used to have the folk club nights in
it hadn't even progressed that far and still needed candles.

Which reminds me, I must have a look at the lights in the Palace of
Westminster forecourt this weekend, as they were still gas last time I
looked.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 6:21*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
Pete Shew wrote:
There's a pub in Beverley that is still lit by gas. Beer's gone up to
about £1.50 a pint though :-(

The White Horse? IIRC,the room that used to have the folk club nights in
* it hadn't even progressed that far and still needed candles.

Which reminds me, I must have a look at the lights in the Palace of
Westminster forecourt this weekend, as they were still gas last time I
looked.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

There are some gas street lights in Malvern. Dunno how they are
controlled or anything. They are trying to raise money to renovate
them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 06:20:46 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

You gotta move with the times.

Basically, how it is, innit, if you know what I mean !

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
Pete Shew wrote:
There's a pub in Beverley that is still lit by gas. Beer's gone up to
about £1.50 a pint though :-(

The White Horse? IIRC,the room that used to have the folk club nights in
it hadn't even progressed that far and still needed candles.

Which reminds me, I must have a look at the lights in the Palace of
Westminster forecourt this weekend, as they were still gas last time I
looked.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

There are some gas street lights in Malvern. Dunno how they are
controlled or anything.

I can remember the ones in Edinburgh in the 1950s. There was a clockwork
timer which opened the gas valve at predetermined times. A pilot light
stayed on all the time. They had a weekly visit from someone who wound up
the clock.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/31/2011 3:23 PM, charles wrote:

I can remember the ones in Edinburgh in the 1950s. There was a clockwork
timer which opened the gas valve at predetermined times. A pilot light
stayed on all the time. They had a weekly visit from someone who wound up
the clock.

I think Edinburgh still has some gaslights - Ann Street, IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Pete Shew wrote:
There's a pub in Beverley that is still lit by gas. Beer's gone up to
about £1.50 a pint though :-(

The White Horse? IIRC,the room that used to have the folk club nights in
it hadn't even progressed that far and still needed candles.

Which reminds me, I must have a look at the lights in the Palace of
Westminster forecourt this weekend, as they were still gas last time I
looked.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

There are some gas street lights in Malvern. Dunno how they are
controlled or anything. They are trying to raise money to renovate
them.

You'll probably find that they run on sewer gas like the remaining ones in
Sheffield

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

I can not imagine how the great historical houses of England are going to
go on, like Cragside House in Northumberland,
Swann must be turning in his grave.

I have a nice stock of 100w Bulbs and will make sure I have a good stock
of all the others.

It's going to cost churches and a host of other buildings alot of money
having to change fittings.....

No-one has to change any fittings

tim

T'was a slip in thought.
I was referring to fittings that like the bulk head fittings like those that
I have. Just can't find a CFL that will fit to give the same amount of light
output. Our church has bulkhead fittings in all the cupboards for safety
which are very similar to my own.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry :
On Aug 31, 12:28*pm, Jethro wrote:
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

Don't care. Don't posses a single incandescent lamp. Haven't now for
getting on for ten years.

Same here, roughly. Except for one in each oven. And the in microwave
(though that stopped working years ago, so it doesn't really count). And
the tumble drier. Damn, the fridge as well. And quite a few in the cars.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:28:25 +0000, Jethro wrote:

60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

That depends how many bulbs you have stockpiled.

Got 100 x 60W and 100 x 100W

should be enough for a couple of years

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:45:19 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 11:28:25 +0000, Jethro wrote:

60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

That depends how many bulbs you have stockpiled.

Got 100 x 60W and 100 x 100W

should be enough for a couple of years

Pretty well what I have

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 11:28 p.m., Jethro wrote:
60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

presumably, my outside 2-level lamp (dim normally, goes to full
brightness when someone approaches) is now effectively obsolete ?

What's wrong with an oil lamp? To hell with technology.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro wrote:

60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

VERY disappointed to see that that article is at the BBC: in its
inaccurate, sloppy sensationalism, it's worth of the Daily Mail.

[I'm neither for nor against "green" bulbs, though I do prefer
tungstens.]

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

harry :

Don't care. Don't posses a single incandescent lamp. Haven't now for
getting on for ten years.

Same here, roughly. Except for one in each oven. And the in microwave
(though that stopped working years ago, so it doesn't really count). And
the tumble drier. Damn, the fridge as well. And quite a few in the cars.

I have some in PIR-operated outside lights. Not sure when
technology will come up with an affordable low-energy replacement
which gets to full brightness straight away. The annual time on
is so low that I would probably never achieve payback.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

harry :

Don't care. Don't posses a single incandescent lamp. Haven't now for
getting on for ten years.

Same here, roughly. Except for one in each oven. And the in microwave
(though that stopped working years ago, so it doesn't really count). And
the tumble drier. Damn, the fridge as well. And quite a few in the cars.

I have some in PIR-operated outside lights. Not sure when
technology will come up with an affordable low-energy replacement
which gets to full brightness straight away. The annual time on
is so low that I would probably never achieve payback.

I've got one using a 36watt 'rolled up' fluorescent tube. Work well where
I used to use a 300w halogen.

Chris

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

I have some in PIR-operated outside lights. Not sure when
technology will come up with an affordable low-energy replacement
which gets to full brightness straight away. The annual time on
is so low that I would probably never achieve payback.

I've got one using a 36watt 'rolled up' fluorescent tube. Work well where
I used to use a 300w halogen.

My lamps are much smaller, not big floodlights - I'm using 60 W
at the moment. My concern is that they are required to be full on
as soon as they are triggered, otherwise I have passed out of the
area I want illuminated.

Anyway, at the present usage rate, the bulbs displaced from
elsewhere, as CFLs have been fitted, will probably suffice.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

I have some in PIR-operated outside lights. Not sure when
technology will come up with an affordable low-energy replacement
which gets to full brightness straight away. The annual time on
is so low that I would probably never achieve payback.

I have a PIR flood, looks like a 500W cast jobbie but with a 28W fluorescent
lamp in it.
It comes on quick, gets to about 80% in a second or two.
More than enough to scare the intruders.

Its much whiter than the 500W halogen I have.
My neighbours wanted one as they liked the white light, but lidl had sold
out and they were £25 in toolstation (£8 in lidl).

I have a five foot waterproof lamp in the shed I might fit that under the
eaves instead of the 500W halogen when it wears out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 10:05*pm, "the_constructor"
wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

There are some gas street lights in Malvern. *Dunno how they are
controlled or anything. *They are trying to raise money to renovate
them.

You'll probably find that they run on sewer gas like the remaining ones in
Sheffield

Sewer gas lamps actually run on gas from the mains just like any other
gas lamp, but the gas from the sewer passes through so that flammable
gas (and any hydrogen sulphide) gets burnt off. You can usually tell
them because the support post is larger diameter (to accommodate the
tube up from the sewer) and because they're on constantly.
There are a few of them in London, too, and there are also a number of
ordinary gas lamps just off the Strand.

Back in the 70's I used to take the train from London Bridge to Tulse
Hill and found that a number of stations in the Bermondsey area were
still lit by gas. I passed through recently and found that not only
the gas lamps but the whole of the station buildings had been swept
away (replaced by little portakabin style shelters) -
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 1:48*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
snip
Hide them in multiple
locations. Also beneficial in case the light bulb police come calling.

I'd better hide my 1500W bulbs, then...
(unfortunately they're bloody difficult to hide, since they're not
exactly small!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:
Pete Shew wrote:
[...]

IIRC the Temple Bar area in London is still lit by gas

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim...." wrote in message

"charles" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:
Pete Shew wrote:
[...]

I bought one of these new type bulbs which was hopelessly slow to brighten
up. So my wife's answer to this so called energy saving bulb was to leave it
on all the time because it took too long to work properly.
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

I have some in PIR-operated outside lights. Not sure when
technology will come up with an affordable low-energy replacement
which gets to full brightness straight away. The annual time on
is so low that I would probably never achieve payback.

I have a PIR flood, looks like a 500W cast jobbie but with a 28W
fluorescent lamp in it.
It comes on quick, gets to about 80% in a second or two.
More than enough to scare the intruders.

Its much whiter than the 500W halogen I have.
My neighbours wanted one as they liked the white light, but lidl had
sold out and they were £25 in toolstation (£8 in lidl).

I have a five foot waterproof lamp in the shed I might fit that under
the eaves instead of the 500W halogen when it wears out.

Should the maintanance manager of your care home be making these decisions?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Another John writes
In article ,
Jethro wrote:

60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

VERY disappointed to see that that article is at the BBC: in its
inaccurate, sloppy sensationalism, it's worth of the Daily Mail.

And Jon Snow on CH4 news saying that as from tomorrow you won't be able
to buy them in the shops

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2011 07:31, Another John wrote:
In ,
wrote:

60W light bulb being banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

VERY disappointed to see that that article is at the BBC: in its
inaccurate, sloppy sensationalism, it's worth of the Daily Mail.

[I'm neither for nor against "green" bulbs, though I do prefer
tungstens.]

John

I prefer tungstens, but we have changed almost all our normal BC and ES
lamps to CFL. The only remaining traditional ones are in the outside PIR
lights , which don't work with CFLs and I'm rather annoyed that they're
discontinuing the bulbs for them, rather than continuing to sell them as
special purpose bulbs.

SteveW