Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating vaulted roof

Hello,

Could someone help me with how to insulate a vaulted roof with
downlights? The rafters are 150mm deep onto which is a breathable
membrane. The insulation I was planning to use was 100mm kingspan
which will leave a 50mm airgap, Does that sound right?

But what to do with the downlights, just leave a gap in the
insulation?

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 22, 7:37*am, Pete Crawford wrote:
Hello,

Could someone help me with how to insulate a vaulted roof with
downlights? The rafters are 150mm deep onto which is a breathable
membrane. The insulation I was planning to use was 100mm kingspan
which will leave a 50mm airgap, Does that sound right?

But what to do with the downlights, just leave a gap in the
insulation?

Pete

I think it will depend on the design of the the downlights and their
wattage/cooling requirements.

I installed a load of kingspan.
You can get seconds much cheaper (less than half price) available
everywhere. It has mechanical damages and voids. The voids can be
filled with canned foam.
http://uk.ask.com/web?q=insulation+s...=0&o= 0&l=dir

I found the best way to install it is to cut it a couple of cm
undersize and fill the gaps with canned foam. All these things about
cutting it to size or oversize and squeezing it in are useless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

filled with canned foam.http://uk.ask.com/web?q=insulation+s...y&qsrc=0&o= 0...

I found the best way to install it is to cut it a couple of cm
undersize and fill the gaps with canned foam. *All these things about
cutting it to size or oversize and squeezing it in are useless.

Seconded on the use of expanding foam.

Cheers
Richard