Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic or wooden doors and windows

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my
reasons are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

Depends how old the property is. For me anything Victorian or earlier
should have timber windows and anyone putting in plastic should be shot.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 11:49*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my
reasons are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

Plastic doors that look like wooden ones, rather than looking like
plastic ones.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 11:49*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my
reasons are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

You can get plastic doors that look very much like wooden ones from
not too fat away.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 11:49*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my
reasons are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

Plastic: good insulation, sealed glazing units prone to fail and need
replacement, frames easily damaged and not easily repaired, no
painting, multipoint locking more secure than single point, multipoint
mechanism can jam, but no matter what you do plastic windows look
crap.

Wood: Look good, in character with old houses, poorer insulation,
locks should generally be fitted but often arent, very repairable, but
need painting and rot if not maintained. A legal requirement in many
houses in conservation areas or if listed.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 12:56, NT wrote:
On Aug 16, 11:49*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my
reasons are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

Plastic: good insulation, sealed glazing units prone to fail and need
replacement, frames easily damaged and not easily repaired, no
painting, multipoint locking more secure than single point, multipoint
mechanism can jam, but no matter what you do plastic windows look
crap.

Wood: Look good, in character with old houses, poorer insulation,
locks should generally be fitted but often arent, very repairable, but
need painting and rot if not maintained. A legal requirement in many
houses in conservation areas or if listed.

NT

Why would a double-glazed timber window offer poorer insulation than a
plastic one?

I agree that plastic windows almost invariably look crap. The only
exception might be the high end plastic sash windows, and even they
look crap from close by. You don't need to maintain plastic windows,
but the corollary is that you can't really maintain them, they just
deteriorate, and look more crap. Aesthetically, few things would make
me happier than an unexpected discovery that UPVC was as hazardous as
asbestos, and the wholesale removal of the ill-proportioned, poorly
designed, flimsy crap that has disfigured so much of the nations'
housing.

Obviously that's just my opinion ;-)

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 11:49 am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my
reasons are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

"Plastic: good insulation, sealed glazing units prone to fail and need
replacement, frames easily damaged and not easily repaired, no
painting, multipoint locking more secure than single point, multipoint
mechanism can jam, but no matter what you do plastic windows look
crap.

Wood: Look good, in character with old houses, poorer insulation,
locks should generally be fitted but often arent, very repairable, but
need painting and rot if not maintained. A legal requirement in many
houses in conservation areas or if listed.

NT"

also *more so* for certain wood frame designs "sealed glazing units prone to
fail and need replacement"

why wooden "poorer insulation"??

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 2:05*pm, "Jim K" wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...
On Aug 16, 11:49 am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my
reasons are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

"Plastic doors that look like wooden ones, rather than looking like
plastic ones.

MBQ"

gotta link?

No such animal. The problem is that plastic requires much thicker
parts than wood.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my
reasons are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

I have softwood windows and treat with Sadolin/Sikkins

I do not use paint as it was cracks in the paint that caused the original
windows to rot

The ones I put in 18 years are fine, one of those put in 20+ years ago needs
a bit of repair to a corner of the cill

Neighbours have all had their original replacement upvc windows replaced a
second time

Beware of the wood grain upvc as I have been told that there are 2 different
types (but I cold be wrong or out of date) one which is white with a wood
grain surface and another which is wood coloured throughout the latter are
not as bad as the former

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 1:33*pm, geraldthehamster wrote:
On 16 Aug, 12:56, NT wrote:

[...]

1. A lot of timber windows are simply not compatible with double
glazing, especially sliding sash. The extra weight means bigger
counterweights required, and there isnt room. These windows have thin
glazing bars that rely on the glass and putty to raise the strength to
the required amount, but sealed dg is incompatible with putty fixing,
and silcone bedding it would leave a weak window.

2. Plastic frames are filled with insulating foam, wood is not.

3. Plastic normally incorporate multipoint latching and draught
sealing, timber usually incorporates neither.

4. Secondary glazing is sometimes done with timber, but this has
compatibility issues too. If opening the window is blocked by a whole
sheet of sg, that works, albeit with rather an issue. If sg is mounted
onto the timber sashes, sometimes it works, sometimes it causes
condensation, mould & rot.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 14:21, "TMC" wrote:
[...]

Another issue is structural: even in fairly modern houses, the
original wooden frames can have a supporting role. When removing
timber windows from my 1960s bungalow (to replace with double glazed
timber windows), we discovered that while there were lintels in the
inner block wall, the windows were built into the brick skin with no
lintels. Fortunately they didn't have much to support, but many an
older window bay has suffered damage through cracking, because solid
timber frames have been replaced with flimy plastic.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 12:56, NT wrote:

[...]

I assumed we were talking new windows....

...2. Plastic frames are filled with insulating foam, wood is not.

I've never seen a foam filled plastic window yet
wood is naturally an excellent insulator

...3. Plastic normally incorporate multipoint latching and draught
...sealing, timber usually incorporates neither.

My 7year old timber DG windows have effective draught seals and multipoint
locking was an option on bigger ones then.

...4. Secondary glazing is sometimes done with timber, but this has
...compatibility issues too. If opening the window is blocked by a whole
...sheet of sg, that works, albeit with rather an issue. If sg is mounted
...onto the timber sashes, sometimes it works, sometimes it causes
...condensation, mould & rot.

? secondary - is this an option here?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 12:56, NT wrote:

[...]

NT- Hide quoted text -

Many modern sash windows use spring balances, rather than
counterweights. Double glazed units are more rigid than single panes
of glass, and the timber frame and sash are deeper to accommodate
them, and therefore stronger. Glazing bars are either as deep as the
frame, or planted on a double glazed unit the size of the window, and
not structural. I don't think putty adds to the rigidity of a window.
Plastic frames need to be filled with foam to stand a chance. Any good
timber window will incorporate draught sealing (all mine do).

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 2:26*pm, NT wrote:

1. A lot of timber windows are simply not compatible with double
glazing, especially sliding sash. The extra weight means bigger
counterweights required, and there isnt room.

Depleted uranium?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This is an interesting piece on plastic vs timber windows:

I think the relative strength of the arguments from both sides is
fairly clear.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"1970alr" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 2:26 pm, NT wrote:

1. A lot of timber windows are simply not compatible with double
glazing, especially sliding sash. The extra weight means bigger
counterweights required, and there isnt room.

Depleted uranium?

lead is cheaper, at least

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

While I'm at it:

http://www.vinyl-windows.org/Vinyl-Window-Facts.htm
http://www.vinyl-windows.org/images/VINYL-PDF.pdf

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 11:49*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my
reasons are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

Powdered aluminium - can be any coulour you choose. You don't have to
paint them and they look much better than plastic. Add self-cleaning
glass and you are away!

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
geraldthehamster writes
On 16 Aug, 14:21, "TMC" wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but that is just bad product/installation. Steel supports inside
the frame would have avoided the problem
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
On 16 Aug, 14:21, "TMC" wrote:
[...]

So do I take it you all have wooden windows and doors in your houses then?

Well thats me up the creek any way. I don't want wood. The wood we have is
rotten to the core. I don't want to repair or paint it ( I have to go to
work and besides its not my scene).

So I guess we will have nothing. It will all have to fall down.

I was hoping for s ome support in getting in some new windows and doors
really. But you all support OH. Thats fine.

Not as it matters . I called a firm for a quote They said they would call
back to make an appointment but they have not, so that is that, as they say.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 2:48*pm, geraldthehamster wrote:
This is an interesting piece on plastic vs timber windows:

I think the relative strength of the arguments from both sides is
fairly clear.

Cheers
Richard

Factually incorrect, largely political, and misses most of the points
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/11 11:49, sweetheart wrote:
Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my reasons
are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

Neither. Aluminium.

Just make sure you get a decent one where the aluminium is filled with
insulation, and it is actually two pieces (inner skin and outer skin) joined
together with resin, which helps stop heat loss as alu is a great heat conductor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article
,

On 16 Aug, 12:56, NT wrote:

[...]

There are timber DG units that are just crap, too. When we moved in here
first thing we noticed is that in a howling north gale, the house froze.
Why? because cold air just seeped around the edges of the DG units.
Closing such a window did not give an airtight seal.

If you want timber DG units that are effective, it's gonna *cost*.

not IME - having fitted 9 new DG timber windows in this place....
Plus the current regs insist on trickle vents anyway - do they not?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
..2. Plastic frames are filled with insulating foam, wood is not.

I've never seen a foam filled plastic window yet
wood is naturally an excellent insulator

You could hollow the wood out and fill it with insulation!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
"1970alr" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 2:26 pm, NT wrote:

1. A lot of timber windows are simply not compatible with double
glazing, especially sliding sash. The extra weight means bigger
counterweights required, and there isnt room.

Depleted uranium?

lead is cheaper, at least

Only till the pikeys go past.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 12:56, NT wrote:

[...]

Trickle vents are not compulsory.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 14:21, "TMC" wrote:
[...]

my what an outstanding troll ;)
You have been given numerous avenues to explore to solve your own (real or
imaginary) "problems" but all you have done (again) is argue with crap
reasons "why not".

You have (re)discovered some here do not care for upvc and the reasons why,
any sane genuine person would be informed by the comments and forearmed to
ask pertinent questions of any supplier who dared come near you.

When *do* you go back to work?
You've been fairly prolific on here for a few days now....

is painting some small windows once every 5 years SO incompatible with your
alleged career in (cough) teaching. - technology wasn't it?! ;)))

Enjoy ;)
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 12:56, NT wrote:

[...]

aye...unless already in the old windas
& is recommended as "good practice" (or similar phrase I think) to fit them
or other means of ventilation for habitable rooms where no ventialtion
provision existed before.... etc etc

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

When *do* you go back to work?
You've been fairly prolific on here for a few days now....

Another three weeks.

is painting some small windows once every 5 years SO incompatible with
your alleged career in (cough) teaching. - technology wasn't it?! ;)))

Yes. You obviously do not teach otherwise you would realise that during the
academic year there is little time for anything - and this summer in common
with most, been a wash out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:32:03 +0100, Jim K wrote:

If you want timber DG units that are effective, it's gonna *cost*.

Agreed for the same level of draft proofing etc. Plastic wndows tend
to have an outer and inner seal, timber just an inner. If timber had
two the gap between 'em would be damp an rot would set in...

Plus the current regs insist on trickle vents anyway - do they not?

I don't think they do any more. A few years ago I got half a dozen
plastic windows and they said at that time that trickle vents where
about to become mandatory. Just got another half dozen without
trickle vents I queried that and got a response that they weren't
required. All these windows do open and can be locked in a partially
open position though.

Only about a dozen windows left to replace once the latest lot are
in.

As for sweetheart, plastic. IIRC both she and OH are staring to get
on a bit, in ten years times when even the best wood paint/treatment
will be in dire need of replacement climbing ladders etc even to
reach the top of ground floor windows will most likely be a bit of a
strain.

I agree that some plastic windows look terrible on the property they
are afixed to but that is more down to bad choice in the window
design than them being made of plastic. A similar design wooden
window would also look crap.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2011 11:49, sweetheart wrote:
Quick survey.

Plastic or wooden doors?

OH wants wood. I want plastic. Which is actually better and why? ( my
reasons are I don't like painting !)
Thanks.

As a couple of other people have said - NEITHER. If you want good
looks, coupled with high strength and freedom from maintenance - it
*has* to be powder-coated thermal-break aluminium. I've had this type in
my house since 1985, and am convinced that they're far superior to wood
or plastic.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

So do I take it you all have wooden windows and doors in your houses
then?

Not a chance.
I hate painting and replaced all the old single glazed wooden windows 15
years ago.
Then I had all the soffits, etc. painted and clad with PVC.
I think i might replace all the skirting with plastic too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

When *do* you go back to work?
You've been fairly prolific on here for a few days now....

Another three weeks.

is painting some small windows once every 5 years SO incompatible with
your alleged career in (cough) teaching. - technology wasn't it?! ;)))

Yes. You obviously do not teach otherwise you would realise that during
the academic year there is little time for anything - and this summer in
common with most, been a wash out.

well yo know what they say - "those who can do....

summer? washout? nah sorry plenty of days perfect for the job,
anyway what else are you going to be doing? (apart from trolling for reasons
why not)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 14:21, "TMC" wrote:
[...]

I have uPVC, and I don't think they look too bad, despite being cheap
ones. You can get pretty good uPVC windows, as well as crap ones.
Whatever, I have neither the time or patience to paint windows, so uPVC
it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

So do I take it you all have wooden windows and doors in your houses
then?

Not a chance.
I hate painting and replaced all the old single glazed wooden windows 15
years ago.
Then I had all the soffits, etc. painted and clad with PVC.
I think i might replace all the skirting with plastic too.

That is what I want to do over the next couple of years if I can manage it.
Thanks for being honest about having plastic windows. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

When *do* you go back to work?
You've been fairly prolific on here for a few days now....

Another three weeks.

is painting some small windows once every 5 years SO incompatible with
your alleged career in (cough) teaching. - technology wasn't it?! ;)))

Yes. You obviously do not teach otherwise you would realise that during
the academic year there is little time for anything - and this summer in
common with most, been a wash out.

well yo know what they say - "those who can do....

Exactly. I have never been a practical type of person. Its time to break
out in a cold sweat if I pick up a hammer because 10/1 odds I wont be able
to use it.

summer? washout? nah sorry plenty of days perfect for the job,
anyway what else are you going to be doing?

Well I am not sure where you live. I know a friend of mine in Essex has had
far better weather but mostly it has rained here. I havent even managed to
cut the grass more than once. I had wanted to clear the garden but the
weather has stopped me. So, what am I doing? Listening to OH bang on and on
and sitting here in the cold - and trying to sort out firstly electric a
couple of weeks ago and now house insurance ( which I have got now). OH
ruined the kitchen with a fire and I have a chest infection because of the
smoke, so cant do much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Bartram" wrote in message
On 16/08/11 15:56, sweetheart wrote:

I have uPVC, and I don't think they look too bad, despite being cheap
ones. You can get pretty good uPVC windows, as well as crap ones.
Whatever, I have neither the time or patience to paint windows, so uPVC it
is.

Sounds as if they are likely to suit me then. Its not as if I have a fancy
house anyway Its a bog standard box ( bungalow).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article
,
geraldthehamster wrote:

sweetheart - if you want uPVC DG, then get several quotes from *local* DG
companies. You'll have to learn up about ratings, profiles, etc, but when
we did that last year we just spent some time googling to become
proficient and find something we liked.

I am trying to do that but I rang one company I thought was local and they
said they would call back. Half an hour later a much larger company called
and asked if they could quote for windows and I said "NO". I havent heard
from the small one who was supposed to ring and OH swears that they passed
me on to the big company and my saying no to them was really refusing them
after I asked them to call.

It does seem odd I got a call immediately after I gave my X directory number
to a company to call me back. But any way I didnt want a big company (
already had Everest and Anglian quoting stupid prices at me)

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 14:21, "TMC" wrote:
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

.. .

[...]

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

If you want durability and don't enjoy painting I'd go for aluminium
or hardwood. Either will still look decent a few years down the line,
whereas plastic will not.

I prefer the look of painted windows, so have always gone for
softwood, but you do need to keep on top of them. Plenty of 100 year
old softwood windows attest to their durability if you do.

Cheers
Richard

We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Ownership 0 February 19th 09 08:45 AM
We are manufacturer of wooden doors, and our main wooden doors are :Solid wood, PVC doors, Melamine doors, Laminated doors, Door skins, Mouldeddoors, linbonwoods Home Repair 0 February 19th 09 08:41 AM
Wooden windows Bitstreams UK diy 8 September 17th 07 11:18 AM
wooden windows roughbert strong UK diy 0 January 22nd 05 11:36 PM
Espagnolette handles for wooden doors/windows Colin Blackburn UK diy 7 September 23rd 03 02:45 AM