Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing crack at side of house

Just been clearing out our side passage that was a real mess and came
across this crack between the path and the wall:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2gsk5kp.jpg

Seems to be eveidence of some rising damp as well. What's the best
way of repairing this. I was going to simply fill it in with some
mortar/concrete but on second thoughts reckoned I should ask someone
who knows what they are doing first :-)

Charlie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 07:40:42 -0700 (PDT), Charlie wrote:

Just been clearing out our side passage that was a real mess and came
across this crack between the path and the wall:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2gsk5kp.jpg

Seems to be eveidence of some rising damp as well. What's the best
way of repairing this. I was going to simply fill it in with some
mortar/concrete but on second thoughts reckoned I should ask someone
who knows what they are doing first :-)

I haven't an real idea but...

Why has the path sunk what looks like best part of an inch over a
couple of feet? The render has also cracked and a bit of the pointing
on the corner is missing and the bit next to the gap looks loose. Is
that corner being undermined or sinking. The path not having
foundations or the rest of the building to hold it up will move
quicker.

The evidence of damp might just be due to all the junk you have just
shifted not letting the wall dry properly. Or it could indicate that
that area is rather wetter than it ought to be.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

+1.
Time to start digging holes, I'd say. Possibly a damaged drain or burst
water pipe nearby, I'd guess. Is there an inspection chamber you can get
at? In which case, have someone check the pipework from it. Or use a
piece of rod to check whether you can hear running water, although not
hearing it won't be conclusive.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I agree - Beeny-bating aside, I was more impressed by the dropped path than
the current crack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 31, 8:08*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 07:40:42 -0700 (PDT), Charlie wrote:
Just been clearing out our side passage that was a real mess and came
across this crack between the path and the wall:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2gsk5kp.jpg

Seems to be eveidence of some rising damp as well. *What's the best
way of repairing this. *I was going to simply fill it in with some
mortar/concrete but on second thoughts reckoned I should ask someone
who knows what they are doing first :-)

I haven't an real idea but...

Why has the path sunk what looks like best part of an inch over a
couple of feet? The render has also cracked and a bit of the pointing
on the corner is missing and the bit next to the gap looks loose. Is
that corner being undermined or sinking. The path not having
foundations or the rest of the building to hold it up will move
quicker.

I know that in the past (say 10yrs ago) there was some subsidence.
Whether they ensured the foundations for the path were remedied I
don't know.
Perhaps not?

The evidence of damp might just be due to all the junk you have just
shifted not letting the wall dry properly.

To be honest there wasn't that much, I just had a really good sweep
and removed a some weeds.

Or it could indicate that
that area is rather wetter than it ought to be.

I've also found a very minor drop from an waste pipe in the flat
above, though to be honest the leak is pretty minimal.
Obviously will still to get it fixed but I'm not sure it's the main
cause, it's literally just a very slow drip whilst water is discharge.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 31, 10:28*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Thanks John,

There is an inspection chamber nearby so that's definitely possible.
The freehold for the flats is owned by the council
so they are generally pretty quick and cheap at fixing any more
serious building issues. Anyhow I have to pay only 1/3 of the cost,
they
pay the remaining 2/3 as they hold the other two leaseholds. So they
have a vested interest in keeping the costs down :-)