Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coach bolts without the square bit under the head

Coach bolts generally/always have a square section under the head.
This is to grip the wood and to resist loosening.

Is it possible to get coach bolts without this square section? May be
they're called something else. I still want the shallow domed head of
the normal coach bolt - no screwdriver slot. These are for a
restoration project. The bolts go through a steel bracket then through
about 80mm of oak then through another steel section. Finally the nut
goes on (no washer). Of course the square section will stop when it
reaches the steel bracket so leaving a small gap under the head.

This may not be the ideal way to make the fixing but it is a
restoration and I would like to do it to the original. I could file a
square opening in the steel bracket or file off the square section if
I had to.

And I guess any modern coach bolt would be zinc plated. The originals
were just a natural black finish.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pdp-11 wrote:

This may not be the ideal way to make the fixing but it is a
restoration and I would like to do it to the original. I could file a
square opening in the steel bracket or file off the square section if
I had to.

That would be the way nature intended. The square section then stops the
bolt turning.

Otherwise, and since they're unlikely to turn, I'd shove them in the
lathe and reduce the square shank to the round. I don't think they do
blind headed coach bolts without the square boss so you're left with
modifying what there is (cue someone with a webpage listing every last
size!)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott M" wrote in message
pdp-11 wrote:

This may not be the ideal way to make the fixing but it is a
restoration and I would like to do it to the original. I could file a
square opening in the steel bracket or file off the square section if
I had to.

That would be the way nature intended. The square section then stops the
bolt turning.

Otherwise, and since they're unlikely to turn, I'd shove them in the lathe
and reduce the square shank to the round. I don't think they do blind
headed coach bolts without the square boss so you're left with modifying
what there is (cue someone with a webpage listing every last size!)

I think these are what the OP is looking for:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/threaded-c...ck-of-10/52525

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 14:46:00 +0100, "the_constructor"
wrote:

"Scott M" wrote in message
pdp-11 wrote:

This may not be the ideal way to make the fixing but it is a
restoration and I would like to do it to the original. I could file a
square opening in the steel bracket or file off the square section if
I had to.

That would be the way nature intended. The square section then stops the
bolt turning.

Otherwise, and since they're unlikely to turn, I'd shove them in the lathe
and reduce the square shank to the round. I don't think they do blind
headed coach bolts without the square boss so you're left with modifying
what there is (cue someone with a webpage listing every last size!)

I think these are what the OP is looking for:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/threaded-c...ck-of-10/52525

If it's a restoration there's a good chance that the bolts aren't
metric.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 6:55*am, pdp-11 wrote:
[...]

I have seen coach bolts like this but they were fully threaded.

I would file the holes out square.

The tannings in oak attack plain steel, esp.if damp so I would not
file the plating off the bolts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 00:32:04 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On Jul 22, 6:55*am, pdp-11 wrote:
[...]

If you do turn off the square bit and blacking isn't intended, Screwfix has
stainless steel ones. I've used them in my shed where the fasteners go
through the wall.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 6:55*am, pdp-11 wrote:
[...]

Some bolts have the square bit, but not IME coach bolts. Might you
need to get the terms right? There should be a chart out there showing
various bolt types.

IIRC - and I may well not - you can get a black finish by dropping a
red hot iron bolt into oil.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Jul 22, 6:55 am, pdp-11 wrote:
[...]

And here it is:
http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...ype-Chart.aspx
They call them Carriage Bolts, not Coach Bolts but looking around the web
the two names seem to be interchangeable.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some bolts have the square bit, but not IME coach bolts.

OTOH the OED (draft addition 1997) is with the OP and others:
"coach bolt n. a large bolt for fastening wood, having a square collar
below the head to prevent it from turning as the nut is tightened on
it."

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
pdp-11 wrote:
Coach bolts generally/always have a square section under the head.
This is to grip the wood and to resist loosening.

Is it possible to get coach bolts without this square section? May be
they're called something else. I still want the shallow domed head of
the normal coach bolt - no screwdriver slot.

How do you stop it turning while tightening? For that you'd likely need a
fine thread - not usual on this sort of thing.

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pdp-11" wrote in message
[...]

The bolts you require are called Roofing Bolts.

http://www.acefixings.com/roofing-bolts-b64
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 7:28*pm, "Dave Baker" wrote:

[...]

They have slotted heads, which the OP stated that he didn't want.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pdp-11" wrote in message

[...]

Well as there's no such thing as a bolt without a tool fitting in the head
so you can do it up and undo it he'll just have to make do won't he.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2011 02:31, Dave Baker wrote:

Mr Fuxit wrote:

They have slotted heads, which the OP stated that he didn't want.

Well as there's no such thing as a bolt without a tool fitting in the head
so you can do it up and undo it he'll just have to make do won't he.

panto_mode

Oh yes there is:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/threaded-c...ck-of-10/52525

Designed to be inserted through a hole drilled in wood. The square
section once pulled into the wood stops the head turning when the nut on
the other end is tightened.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

Mr Fuxit wrote:

They have slotted heads, which the OP stated that he didn't want.

Well as there's no such thing as a bolt without a tool fitting in the
head
so you can do it up and undo it he'll just have to make do won't he.

panto_mode

Oh yes there is:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/threaded-c...ck-of-10/52525

Designed to be inserted through a hole drilled in wood. The square section
once pulled into the wood stops the head turning when the nut on the other
end is tightened.

Yes we all know very well thank you. That's the bit (the square section)
that fulfils the function of a tool fitting and which the OP is trying to do
without which as I say is not normally made. I fail to see why the presence
or absence of a slot in the bolt head makes a blind bit of difference to the
functionality of the repair. The square section under the head of a coach
bolt actually is a tool fitting. Once the nut has been undone enough to
allow the bolt to clear the workpiece you can apply a wrench to the square
if the nut is rusted to the remaining end of the bolt. Otherwise there is no
way to remove the nut if it's rusted in place than applying uk.d-i-y's
favourite tool - all together now - the angle grinder.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2011 19:28, Dave Baker wrote:
wrote in message

snip I still want the shallow domed head of the normal coach bolt - no screwdriver slot./snip

The bolts you require are called Roofing Bolts.

http://www.acefixings.com/roofing-bolts-b64

Apparently not.

"Bright zinc plated, _cross-head_ roofing bolt complete with square nut."

I too worry about how you'll do the nut up without them spinning. I'd go
with a square slot in the bracket.

And I've seen the red-hot-into-oil finish - I used to live next door to
a toolmaker.

Andy