Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extractor fan tripping electric

We've just had a new twin RCD consumer unit fitted. The Xpelair window fan
in the kitchen window, which worked fine with the old fuse box, now trips
the complete RCD side as soon as the pull-cord switch is operated.
Obviously something is wrong with the fan, but as these are expensive things
to replace, can anybody suggest where I might start looking for the fault?

John M

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 00:57:56 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Obviously something is wrong with the fan, but as these are

expensive
things to replace, can anybody suggest where I might start looking

for
the fault?

Damp.

Grease/dust/damp. Remove it and give it a good clean out. It might be
easier to chuck it and buy another if it has a good layer of
congealed grease/dust over it...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 9, 12:52*am, "John Miller"
wrote:
We've just had a new twin RCD consumer unit fitted. The Xpelair window fan
in the kitchen window, which worked fine with the old fuse box, now trips
the complete RCD side as soon as the pull-cord switch is operated.
Obviously something is wrong with the fan, but as these are expensive things
to replace, can anybody suggest where I might start looking for the fault?

John M

check the neutral from the fan is connected to the ri correct neutral
rail in the new split consumer unit. You wont be the first nor last to
fall foul of this error.