Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Sealing the lids on paint tins

In article ,
"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere writes:

On 2011-07-05, Dave Plowman wrote:
In ,
steve wrote:
The reason paint goes off after being opened and used is the
large quantity of new air when you replace the lid.

Your better dropping a peace of plastic in the bottom

Or fill the space with some inert gas?

Store the tins upside down.

Makes no difference once the tin is opened and new air introduced.

With oil based paints, it ensures that the skin is under the paint, not
on top, when you come to use it.

I've never had a skin form in any tin stored upside down.
Skin forms because refitted lid rarely seals perfectly and
you get slow air exchange, but it does seal much better if
you store the tin upside down (and is noticably harder to
open;-).

By the way, I noticed on the instructions on a tin it
said "do not open with a screwdriver". So what are you
supposed to use? I used a screwdriver...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 2011-07-05, Dave Plowman wrote:
In ,
steve wrote:
The reason paint goes off after being opened and used is the
large quantity of new air when you replace the lid.

Your better dropping a peace of plastic in the bottom

Or fill the space with some inert gas?

Store the tins upside down.

Makes no difference once the tin is opened and new air introduced.

With oil based paints, it ensures that the skin is under the paint, not
on top, when you come to use it.

I've never had a skin form in any tin stored upside down.
Skin forms because refitted lid rarely seals perfectly and
you get slow air exchange, but it does seal much better if
you store the tin upside down (and is noticably harder to
open;-).

By the way, I noticed on the instructions on a tin it
said "do not open with a screwdriver". So what are you
supposed to use? I used a screwdriver...

Smile. Get to know the staff. And ask nicely in a Johnstone's decorator
centre. And they might give you a special paint tin opener.

That's what I did. Unfortunately not one of the nice Johnstone's branded
ones as they had run out, but a not so nice old Dulux one. Can't win 'em
all.

Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 20:11:59 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

By the way, I noticed on the instructions on a tin it
said "do not open with a screwdriver". So what are you
supposed to use? I used a screwdriver...

The tin of emulsion from TS was so thin that a screwdriver would have opened
it - like a can opener!
The best tool I found for the job was an old metal tyre lever (push-bike
size) that id rounded and smoothed about 40 years ago. Plenty of area and no
sharp edges.
Then "stir thoroughly": even a plastic kitchen thingy (overgrown spoon,
metal handle) deformed the can, so a metal stirrer... )h, also about 5mm of
freeboard in a 5 litre can...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away