Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Working In a **** Hole/Weird Landlord

Todays job was to get the electrics fixed in a bedsit (smashed sockets,
lights, CU etc)

So I asked the landlord "Has there been a murder here or something?"

He looked a bit gone out and did not answer so I pointed out all the blood
on the walls and the floor along with the police do not cross tape.

He replied "No, he only gave her slap or two. He owes me two weeks rent but
he cannot get bail. I'll be out of pocket on this one, it's not fair is it?"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 16:42:17 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

He looked a bit gone out and did not answer so I pointed out all the
blood on the walls and the floor along with the police do not cross
tape.

Yuk, I'd not work in there until the blood had all been *properly*
cleaned. You can catch all manner of nasties from other peoples
blood...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:
[snip]

He replied "No, he only gave her slap or two. He owes me two weeks rent but
he cannot get bail. I'll be out of pocket on this one, it's not fair is it?"

Caring chap, caring landlord. I wonder what the odds are that the bloke was
thumped as a child to teach him how to behave?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 16:42:17 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

He looked a bit gone out and did not answer so I pointed out all the
blood on the walls and the floor along with the police do not cross
tape.

Yuk, I'd not work in there until the blood had all been *properly*
cleaned. You can catch all manner of nasties from other peoples
blood...

It nearly put me off my bacon sandwich.

The blood was all dry. I doubt that much can live in blood that is exposed
to the air for 3 weeks. And there were no sharps in the building.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote:
[snip]

He replied "No, he only gave her slap or two. He owes me two weeks
rent but he cannot get bail. I'll be out of pocket on this one, it's
not fair is it?"

Caring chap, caring landlord. I wonder what the odds are that the
bloke was thumped as a child to teach him how to behave?

Mother "He was such a well behaved child, he never said anything wrong"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Todays job was to get the electrics fixed in a bedsit (smashed sockets,
lights, CU etc)

So I asked the landlord "Has there been a murder here or something?"

He looked a bit gone out and did not answer so I pointed out all the blood
on the walls and the floor along with the police do not cross tape.

He replied "No, he only gave her slap or two. He owes me two weeks rent
but he cannot get bail. I'll be out of pocket on this one, it's not fair
is it?"

By 'eck Adam.

When Dave, TMH declares "weird customer" he is referring to the local
brothel.

You get the murder house! Did you check the attic for "crops"?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Todays job was to get the electrics fixed in a bedsit (smashed
sockets, lights, CU etc)

So I asked the landlord "Has there been a murder here or something?"

He looked a bit gone out and did not answer so I pointed out all the
blood on the walls and the floor along with the police do not cross
tape.

He replied "No, he only gave her slap or two. He owes me two weeks
rent but he cannot get bail. I'll be out of pocket on this one, it's
not fair is it?"

By 'eck Adam.

When Dave, TMH declares "weird customer" he is referring to the local
brothel.

That sentence somehow has the wrong meaning to it. I just cannot put my
finger on what is wrong:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 17:30:03 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Yuk, I'd not work in there until the blood had all been *properly*
cleaned. You can catch all manner of nasties from other peoples
blood...

It nearly put me off my bacon sandwich.

The blood was all dry. I doubt that much can live in blood that is
exposed to the air for 3 weeks.

I shall ask SWMBO'd, she used to run the hematology lab at Barts.
Though this is really microbiology rather than hematology. Some viri
can go into very robust dormant states and can survive in very
hostile conditions for long periods of time. I don't think HIV is one
of those, not so sure about hepatitis.

And there were no sharps in the building.

Not even the end of a wire you have just snipped to wire into a
socket? Or have you never, ever, stabbed your self with a bit of 2.5?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Mother "He was such a well behaved child, he never said anything wrong"

"He was a quiet chap and kept himself to himself"

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Todays job was to get the electrics fixed in a bedsit (smashed
sockets, lights, CU etc)

So I asked the landlord "Has there been a murder here or something?"

He looked a bit gone out and did not answer so I pointed out all the
blood on the walls and the floor along with the police do not cross
tape.

He replied "No, he only gave her slap or two. He owes me two weeks
rent but he cannot get bail. I'll be out of pocket on this one, it's
not fair is it?"

By 'eck Adam.

When Dave, TMH declares "weird customer" he is referring to the local
brothel.

That sentence somehow has the wrong meaning to it. I just cannot put my
finger on what is wrong:-)

New HoD, free wine up on the roof, I am tanked. I'm surprised anything makes
sense

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Mother "He was such a well behaved child, he never said anything wrong"

"He was a quiet chap and kept himself to himself"

"He was ever so popular, everyone liked him."

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 17:30:03 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Yuk, I'd not work in there until the blood had all been *properly*
cleaned. You can catch all manner of nasties from other peoples
blood...

It nearly put me off my bacon sandwich.

The blood was all dry. I doubt that much can live in blood that is
exposed to the air for 3 weeks.

I shall ask SWMBO'd, she used to run the hematology lab at Barts.
Though this is really microbiology rather than hematology. Some viri
can go into very robust dormant states and can survive in very
hostile conditions for long periods of time. I don't think HIV is one
of those, not so sure about hepatitis.

I would be interested. HIV cannot survive in the air for very long. I have
had a vaccination against one of the hepatitis groups (just in case). And
not Hep2O if dennis is reading this.

And there were no sharps in the building.

Not even the end of a wire you have just snipped to wire into a
socket? Or have you never, ever, stabbed your self with a bit of 2.5?

I meant "sharps" to mean needles eg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharps_waste

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I shall ask SWMBO'd, she used to run the hematology lab at Barts.
Though this is really microbiology rather than hematology. Some viri
can go into very robust dormant states and can survive in very
hostile conditions for long periods of time. I don't think HIV is one
of those, not so sure about hepatitis.

I would be interested. HIV cannot survive in the air for very long. I
have had a vaccination against one of the hepatitis groups (just in
case). And not Hep2O if dennis is reading this.

Dave's advice will be the better but I'm told by a mere quack that
there's not much risk in practice. OTOH if you get asked to quote for
another such job there's grounds for you to negotiate an extra fee -
eg wave in front of them the HSE's advice on bloodborne viruses in the
workplace
(http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg342.pdf) which includes

"Under ideal laboratory conditions HIV can remain infectious in dried
blood and liquid blood for several weeks and HBV stays active for even
longer."

I gather "ideal" really was the equivalent of 7 star accommodation +
room service "stress relief" but I don't have details

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

jgharston wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Mother "He was such a well behaved child, he never said anything
wrong"

"He was a quiet chap and kept himself to himself"

"He was ever so popular, everyone liked him."

"who'd have thought he was an axe-wielding rapist?"

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

I would be interested. HIV cannot survive in the air for very long. I have
had a vaccination against one of the hepatitis groups (just in case). And
not Hep2O if dennis is reading this.

Gloves and a spray with bleach in it sounds a good idea.
I would have found a different job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

I would be interested. HIV cannot survive in the air for very long.
I have had a vaccination against one of the hepatitis groups (just
in case). And not Hep2O if dennis is reading this.

Gloves and a spray with bleach in it sounds a good idea.
I would have found a different job.

I actually like my job. I have never have two days the same.

A dash of blood is no big problem.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

I actually like my job. I have never have two days the same.

A dash of blood is no big problem.

Are you sure though, that it wasn't him what did the deed??

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

I actually like my job. I have never have two days the same.

A dash of blood is no big problem.

Are you sure though, that it wasn't him what did the deed??

:-))

I have no idea who did what.

I have however taken the left over roll of "police do not cross tape" that
was left on top of the kitchen worktop. Just in case I need to upset my
girlfriends neighbours again.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

So where does my finger come into it?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Always look on the bright side and be grateful you didn't take up
plumbing.

I still have a circular scar on my thumb from when the pipe next
to the one I was working on fell out leaving water flooding out.
I put my thumb over the end to stem the water and rapidly hammered
the pipe flat to seal it. Ow!

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

ARWadsworth wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

The first of these two does not parse.

agreed. Try:

When, Dave, TMH declares "weird customer", he is referring to the local
brothel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

When Dave, TMH, declares "weird customer", he is referring to the local brothel.

Is there a lot of soup sold along the banks of the Medway?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 18:27:03 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I shall ask SWMBO'd, she used to run the hematology lab at Barts.
Though this is really microbiology rather than hematology. Some

viri
can go into very robust dormant states and can survive in very
hostile conditions for long periods of time. I don't think HIV is

one
of those, not so sure about hepatitis.

I would be interested. HIV cannot survive in the air for very long. I
have had a vaccination against one of the hepatitis groups (just in
case).

Had a chat, HIV is delicate and doesn't survive long outside the
body. Hepatitis on the other hand is rather more robust and could
still be viable after 3 weeks. So could other, some what rarer, viral
infections.

The bottom line was refuse to work in there until who ever is
responsible for the property has had it properly cleaned.

And there were no sharps in the building.

Not even the end of a wire you have just snipped to wire into a
socket? Or have you never, ever, stabbed your self with a bit of

2.5?

I meant "sharps" to mean needles eg

I knew that. B-) But along with the bottom line above was if
working in there before it's been cleaned to make sure you have no
cuts and wear gloves (latex type not knitted/open weave builders
type). It would only take a tiny amount of blood from an almost
invisible splash or droplet, through a tiny injury, to get in to
infect you.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 4, 10:27*pm, Tim Streater wrote:

When Dave, TMH, declares "weird customer", he is referring to the local
brothel. But number two is probably to be preferred.

It's an unpleasant choice to have to make, but I'm not as sure as you
are that scat wins.