Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mobile broadband sims

i have a t-mobile usb stick, 'huawei E160' that i bought a few years ago, it
seemed to be the best deal back then, payg, £2 a day, or buy 'boosters' at
£7 for a weeks use, or £15 for a month, and their 'unlimited' use was
something like 3 gig a month,

unfortunately i forgot about the bit where you have to use it at least once
every 6 months (i only use it in the warmer weather when out in the
motorhome) and this year went 8 months before trying to use it again,
needles to say the sim is now unrigistered, and i need to get a new one to
use the stick again, but they now have silly caps on the data usage (250meg
a day, 1 gig a month)
so t-mobile no longer seems that good a deal.

i also have a vodafone wifi broadband thingy, (shove a sim in it, connect to
the net via 3G or faster, connect to the dongle thing via wifi) me dad got
it sent to him when he asked for a new data card to replace his pcmcia one,
they sent this but he wanted the usb stick, so they said keep the wifi
dongle, so i have it.

last year you could get a vodafone mobile broadband sim with 3GB of data
preloaded worth £15, for about 7 quid on ebay, but it seems voda have
changed their tarrifs, and it's now 2gb for £15, and the ebay sims afe going
for 14 quid,

anyone know of any better mobile broadband deals out there??? or anyone
selling the 3GB voda sims cheaply,
dont want a contract as i only use the thing half the year, but when i do
use it, it gets used a fair bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 19, 5:24*pm, "Gazz" wrote:
[...]

Cheapest 3 phone Nokia C201/ ZTE Racer, 55 to 60 quid , tie it as a
modem, then 15 quid a month gets all you can eat data.

3 coverage is pretty good, considerably better than voda in Scottish
borders.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Gazz wrote:

anyone know of any better mobile broadband deals out there??? or anyone
selling the 3GB voda sims cheaply,
dont want a contract as i only use the thing half the year, but when i do
use it, it gets used a fair bit.

Three have some good deals on, and their network is relatively good -
if you have coverage, however these days, it's often not PAYG, but
"Use it or Lose It". ie. even if you pre-buy 3GB and only use 1GB in
the monthly interval, you may lose the rest of your allowance.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2011 09:13, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In , wrote:

anyone know of any better mobile broadband deals out there??? or anyone
selling the 3GB voda sims cheaply,
dont want a contract as i only use the thing half the year, but when i do
use it, it gets used a fair bit.

Three have some good deals on, and their network is relatively good -
if you have coverage, however these days, it's often not PAYG, but
"Use it or Lose It". ie. even if you pre-buy 3GB and only use 1GB in
the monthly interval, you may lose the rest of your allowance.

Gordon

I have a Three SIM-only Data-only monthly-rolling contract. It's £5 a
month for 2GB data and PAYG for calls.

At that price I don't care that I rarely use it - but I know I'll be
able to make & receive calls and get 3G internet access when I really
need to without having to think about topups.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In , wrote:

anyone know of any better mobile broadband deals out there??? or anyone
selling the 3GB voda sims cheaply,
dont want a contract as i only use the thing half the year, but when i
do
use it, it gets used a fair bit.

Three have some good deals on, and their network is relatively good -
if you have coverage, however these days, it's often not PAYG, but
"Use it or Lose It". ie. even if you pre-buy 3GB and only use 1GB in
the monthly interval, you may lose the rest of your allowance.

Gordon

I have a Three SIM-only Data-only monthly-rolling contract. It's £5 a
month for 2GB data and PAYG for calls.

At that price I don't care that I rarely use it - but I know I'll be able
to make & receive calls and get 3G internet access when I really need to
without having to think about topups.

Or you can get the Three mobile SIM on Ebay for £4.50 - giving 1Gig over 30
days or the 3 Gig over 3 months for £14.

--
Mark BR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark BR" wrote in message
o.uk...

In , wrote:

[...]

the 3 site suggests that you need a 3 dongle to use their service - support
for HSPA+.
The dongles I have are only HSDPA.

I have three ZTE K3565-Z USB sticks from Vodafone NZ and a Huawei E160 from
Virgin Mobile (unlocked).

Also, can't locate the Three contract mentioned above which sounds ideal.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)