Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing sealed/cartridge bearings

We've a wooden balance bike (the pedal-less scoot along things) that
came from Lidl about 6 years ago. Kids have now outgrown it, and it's
ready to pass onto someone else.

But the bearings in one wheel have seized up. The wheels are plastic,
with cartridge/sealed bearings (not sure what they are normally called),
which have siezed up.

I assume that the bearings are a standard size that I can get from Ebay
or somewhere. How easy/practical is it to get the axle and old bearings
out and new ones in?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris French" wrote in message
We've a wooden balance bike (the pedal-less scoot along things) that came
from Lidl about 6 years ago. Kids have now outgrown it, and it's ready to
pass onto someone else.

But the bearings in one wheel have seized up. The wheels are plastic, with
cartridge/sealed bearings (not sure what they are normally called), which
have siezed up.

I assume that the bearings are a standard size that I can get from Ebay or
somewhere. How easy/practical is it to get the axle and old bearings out
and new ones in?
--
Chris French

I think you'll be lucky. Could be plain bearings (plastic on metal axle).
Might be easiest to replace the wheel with something salvaged from a
scrapped bike.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 11:22*pm, "newshound" wrote:
"chris French" wrote in message

... We've a wooden balance bike (the pedal-less scoot along things) that came
from Lidl about 6 years ago. Kids have now outgrown it, and it's ready to
pass onto someone else.

But the bearings in one wheel have seized up. The wheels are plastic, with
cartridge/sealed bearings (not sure what they are normally called), which
have siezed up.

I assume that the bearings are a standard size that I can get from Ebay or
somewhere. How easy/practical is it to get the axle and old bearings out
and new ones in?
--
Chris French

I think you'll be lucky. Could be plain bearings (plastic on metal axle).
Might be easiest to replace the wheel with something salvaged from a
scrapped bike.

You can get bearings from stockists, take the bike so they can
determine exactly whats wanted, but you still have to part the
existing bits. I cant imagine an item like that being worth the work.
If it has bearings anyway, quite likely not to.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , newshound
writes

"chris French" wrote in message
k...
We've a wooden balance bike (the pedal-less scoot along things) that
came from Lidl about 6 years ago. Kids have now outgrown it, and it's
ready to pass onto someone else.

But the bearings in one wheel have seized up. The wheels are plastic,
with cartridge/sealed bearings (not sure what they are normally
called), which have siezed up.

I assume that the bearings are a standard size that I can get from
Ebay or somewhere. How easy/practical is it to get the axle and old
bearings out and new ones in?
-- Chris French

I think you'll be lucky. Could be plain bearings (plastic on metal
axle).

Well, I'm not going to check right now (it's outside in a dark stable),
but I'm 95% certain they were proper bearings - certainly isn't just a
plastic/metal plain bearing. I'll have another shufty

Might be easiest to replace the wheel with something salvaged from a
scrapped bike.

Hmm, probably not. The bike is wooden framed, the wheels aren't fixed in
a standard way.

It's like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/3236775957_7ddef990a0.jpg
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 18, 2:22*am, chris French
wrote:
In message , newshound
writes

[...]

On the basis that it would appear that the wheels can come off to
change the height of the bike, it should then just be a press-out job
(NOT an angle grinder, before anyone else says it!). That does of
course depend on what workshop facilities you have. I think in this
case I would rig something up using a hydraulic car jack.

You're right enough about common bearing sizes - I've recently had to
do some repair work on an electric motor (common washing machine
bearing), and a bandsaw (roller skate bearings - 25p each on Ebay)

What a great toy, by the way, I'll look out for one of those for my
wee grand daughter.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/3236775957_7ddef990a0.jpg
--
Chris French

On the basis that it would appear that the wheels can come off to
change the height of the bike, it should then just be a press-out job

Yes they *might* be; alternatively the wheels may have been moulded on to a
ribbed cartridge unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On Jun 18, 2:22 am, chris
wrote:
In , newshound
writes

"chris wrote in message
[...]

Make one yourself (you can buy wheels like this fairly easily)