Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What size Allen key required for Rad Valve extensions?

I recently bought a (Fixed, 20mm) Rad valve extension for the first time. I
saw that it required an allen key for fitting and assumed that my standard
Radiator Key would fit. Not so, to my surprise and also that of the plumbers
merchant I bought th extension from.

It looks like it need an Allen key of around 11.5mm AF. Is there an imperial
equivalent size, and where do I get a key to fit please?

Thanks
Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:
I recently bought a (Fixed, 20mm) Rad valve extension for the first time. I
saw that it required an allen key for fitting and assumed that my standard
Radiator Key would fit. Not so, to my surprise and also that of the plumbers
merchant I bought th extension from.

It looks like it need an Allen key of around 11.5mm AF. Is there an imperial
equivalent size, and where do I get a key to fit please?

Thanks
Jon N

7/16 is 11.1mm

The other way is a flat steel strip filed to fit across opposite corners
of the hexagon.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 15, 6:17*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:
I recently bought a (Fixed, 20mm) Rad valve extension for the first time. I
saw that it required an allen key for fitting and assumed that my standard
Radiator Key would fit. Not so, to my surprise and also that of the plumbers
merchant I bought th extension from.

It looks like it need an Allen key of around 11.5mm AF. Is there an imperial
equivalent size, and where do I get a key to fit please?

* * Thanks
* * Jon N

There is a pukka tool to do the job it has a tapered hexagon at one
end and a square with a recess at the other with a tommy bar in the
middle. I think Monument make them and sell through Wolsely Centres
plus other outlets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi there
thanks for the replies. I've now seen the Monument tool (search
for "universal radiator key".

I might measure the size properly (when I find my vernier) and buy a
corresponding imperial Allen Key, if that's what it turns out to be - there
are plenty on eBay. I recently inherited my late Father's extensive tool
collection, including boxes and boxes of Allen keys, but surprisingly don't
seem to have one to fit.

Regards
Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi John
John Rumm wrote:

The proper keys also usually have an end to deal with those that have a
square section rather than hex.

yes, my 'non-universal but standard' key has one of those. It was that key
which doesn't fit, to my initial surprise.

I've measured the size as a 'just a whisker under 12mm' AF. My 12mm Socket
head just doesn't fit. Bob minchin's suggestion of 7/16" sounds like it
might be a bit small, but probably worth trying. I'm still surprised they
make these adapters with such an unusual size hole...

Thanks
Jon N