Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT- Sky phone scam

Just had a phone call from someone who sounded as though he came from the
Indian sub-continent.

He said he was from Sky, and this was a follow up call - he wasn't trying to
sell me anything (fat chance!!).
When I insisted that he gave me a number to call back to confirm his
identity he said "Incoming call" and hung up.

I have Googled this, and the type of scam is common and goes back many
years.
However I am not a Sky subscriber (not that I mentioned this) and the other
reports have been from Sky subscribers.

And yes, I know that I could have had hours of harmless fun keeping him on
the line but I happen to be busy at the moment :-)

I might have to put the answer phone on two rings for a while.
There really should be some legislation to force these (usually overseas)
calls to leave some valid ID behind or prevent them from completing. Report,
trace, block; that might discourage them from preying on the naive and
confused.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have Googled this, and the type of scam is common and goes back many
years.

So why don't you tell us what the nature of the scam is then?
Do they ask you to "confirm" your credit card details, or something else?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

There is, but how the heck do you enforce it?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

I have Googled this, and the type of scam is common and goes back many
years.

So why don't you tell us what the nature of the scam is then?
Do they ask you to "confirm" your credit card details, or something else?

Because the caller didn't get as far as the scam.
When I insisted on a call back number he gave up.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:12:45 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

When I insisted on a call back number he gave up.

You trust a call back number given to you by a cold caller? Oh well,
I guess the IS one born every minute. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is, but how the heck do you enforce it?

Make it someone else's problem. Eg reduce overseas aid spending in
India by 50p for every scam call from India (as measured by ONS
supervised sampling)? Repeat as and when problem migrates.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:12:45 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

When I insisted on a call back number he gave up.

You trust a call back number given to you by a cold caller? Oh well,
I guess the IS one born every minute. B-)

Only if he is still there when you call him back on that number
;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:12:45 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

When I insisted on a call back number he gave up.

You trust a call back number given to you by a cold caller? Oh well,
I guess the IS one born every minute. B-)

Only if he is still there when you call him back on that number
;-)

Chris

Didn't say I would use it.
Just wanted to see if he would supply one that I could then check out on
t'Internet.
However he wasn't willing to give one, which makes him much less prepared
than some other cold callers.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2011 13:24, David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

They are usually offering to sell you a service contract for the Sky
box, the same happens with Dyson vacuum cleaners and other things people
are likely to have in their house.

Not a scam as such, just sharp practice, but they word it so it sounds
like they are calling from Sky etc, usually without saying so directly

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 9, 8:10*pm, "Robin" wrote:
There is, but how the heck do you enforce it?

Make it someone else's problem. *Eg reduce overseas aid spending in
India by 50p for every scam call from India *(as measured by ONS
supervised sampling)? *Repeat as and when problem migrates.

Just stop all aid to India. They have enough mill- & billionaires whoc
could show a little philanthropy close to home, not to mention their
space program.

Goes for other countries too.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 18:08:48 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

[...]

Make caller ID compulsory. All UK telcos would be responsible for
ensuring accuracy. Large fines imposed for breaches.

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

I might have to put the answer phone on two rings for a while.
There really should be some legislation to force these (usually overseas)
calls to leave some valid ID behind or prevent them from completing.

There is, but how the heck do you enforce it?

Make caller ID compulsory. All UK telcos would be responsible for
ensuring accuracy. Large fines imposed for breaches.

Caller ID very rarely works across national boundaries under BT, IME. If
a call is not from a BT line, it tends to say either "Outside area"
"Overseas call" or a paraphrasing of it. "Outside area" used to mean a
Hull Telecom number, too. Gives me an easy way to screen Spam curry.
"Unknown Number" normally means someone's hiding a UK number, and I
ignore those, too.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Just had a phone call from someone who sounded as though he came from the
Indian sub-continent.

He said he was from Sky, and this was a follow up call - he wasn't trying to
sell me anything (fat chance!!).
When I insisted that he gave me a number to call back to confirm his
identity he said "Incoming call" and hung up.

I have Googled this, and the type of scam is common and goes back many
years.
However I am not a Sky subscriber (not that I mentioned this) and the other
reports have been from Sky subscribers.

And yes, I know that I could have had hours of harmless fun keeping him on
the line but I happen to be busy at the moment :-)

well I used to have an old tape recorder handy ready to play back some
classic Derek and Clive
http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/the-vir...ing-to-em.html

Which would be great fun for someone from the indian continent, might
give them a better grasp of real English ;-)
or some choice Klington from star trek.

Or of course just be polite and talk in another language even if it's
a made up one, but that takes time#
which is why I'd leave a tape or ipod running.

I might have to put the answer phone on two rings for a while.
There really should be some legislation to force these (usually overseas)
calls to leave some valid ID behind or prevent them from completing. Report,
trace, block; that might discourage them from preying on the naive and
confused.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

I might have to put the answer phone on two rings for a while.
There really should be some legislation to force these (usually overseas)
calls to leave some valid ID behind or prevent them from completing.
There is, but how the heck do you enforce it?

Make caller ID compulsory. All UK telcos would be responsible for
ensuring accuracy. Large fines imposed for breaches.

Caller ID very rarely works across national boundaries under BT, IME. If
a call is not from a BT line, it tends to say either "Outside area"
"Overseas call" or a paraphrasing of it.

It says "Unavailable" for me. This is the case for all International
calls.

"Outside area" used to mean a
Hull Telecom number, too. Gives me an easy way to screen Spam curry.
"Unknown Number" normally means someone's hiding a UK number, and I
ignore those, too.

If the CLI is available but withheld I see "Withheld".

If the telcos are make responsible then they either display a valid
number (or withheld) or reject the call.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Its called choose to refuse or something similar.
You can have it on any BT or Sky line and probably on virgin too.
The caller gets an announcement that says if you want to call you have to
display CLI.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:50:35 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

That's no use. A lot of legitimate calls show unavailable or
withheld.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

8

Its called choose to refuse or something similar.
You can have it on any BT or Sky line and probably on virgin too.
The caller gets an announcement that says if you want to call you have to
display CLI.

That's no use. A lot of legitimate calls show unavailable or
withheld.

There is no reason why a legitimate call should not have a correct
presentation number.. even BG can get it right so anyone should be able to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

8

Its called choose to refuse or something similar.
You can have it on any BT or Sky line and probably on virgin too.
The caller gets an announcement that says if you want to call you have to
display CLI.

That's no use. A lot of legitimate calls show unavailable or
withheld.

There is no reason why a legitimate call should not have a correct
presentation number.. even BG can get it right so anyone should be able
to.

But the reality is that they don't.

MAKE THOUSANDS FAST!!! NOT A SCAM, I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A SCAM Rico Home Ownership 0 September 3rd 10 12:36 AM
OT-New phone scam Azotic Metalworking 0 June 25th 10 12:06 PM
Pc..Laptop..Phone Accessories..Mobile phone..shopping online atAmazon siti UK diy 0 March 26th 08 08:03 AM
Stanp2323 Bad Ebayer suppose to be brand new phone, phone was refurb and stolen.E-mailed no reply Chumly Woodworking 8 July 30th 07 03:33 AM