Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiring safe zone + surface wired

Here's a nice little one.
I have a cable running horizontally and surface wired. It then keeps
going in the same direction, but disappears behind some plasterboard.
I need to make the bit behind the PB a safe zone, and I guess the
cable itself is not enough. What is the most basic accessory (can be
ugly, will be behind kitchen units) that can be fitted around an
already clipped cable that will not break the cable, and will create,
say, a 50mm safe zone ?
Or in this situation, can you just put a sign up with arrows, saying,
this is a safe zone, "there is a cable here" etc.
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 28, 6:41*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
Here's a nice little one.
I have a cable running horizontally and surface wired. It then keeps
going in the same direction, but disappears behind some plasterboard.
I need to make the bit behind the PB a safe zone, and I guess the
cable itself is not enough. What is the most basic accessory (can be
ugly, will be behind kitchen units) that can be fitted around an
already clipped cable that will not break the cable, and will create,
say, a 50mm safe zone ?
Or in this situation, can you just put a sign up with arrows, saying,
this is a safe zone, "there is a cable here" etc.
Cheers,
Simon.

blanking plate on surface pattress box. Pattresses can be sawn so it
doesnt affect the cable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Here's a nice little one.
I have a cable running horizontally and surface wired. It then keeps
going in the same direction, but disappears behind some plasterboard.
I need to make the bit behind the PB a safe zone, and I guess the
cable itself is not enough. What is the most basic accessory (can be
ugly, will be behind kitchen units) that can be fitted around an
already clipped cable that will not break the cable, and will create,
say, a 50mm safe zone ?
Or in this situation, can you just put a sign up with arrows, saying,
this is a safe zone, "there is a cable here" etc.
Cheers,

Is it an RCD protected cable?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 28, 6:56*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
Here's a nice little one.
I have a cable running horizontally and surface wired. It then keeps
going in the same direction, but disappears behind some plasterboard.
I need to make the bit behind the PB a safe zone, and I guess the
cable itself is not enough. What is the most basic accessory (can be
ugly, will be behind kitchen units) that can be fitted around an
already clipped cable that will not break the cable, and will create,
say, a 50mm safe zone ?
Or in this situation, can you just put a sign up with arrows, saying,
this is a safe zone, "there is a cable here" etc.
Cheers,

Is it an RCD protected cable?

Yes its is RCD protected. There are 2 cables routed like that, a 2.5mm
ring and 1.5mm lighting circuit.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On May 28, 6:56 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
Here's a nice little one.
I have a cable running horizontally and surface wired. It then keeps
going in the same direction, but disappears behind some
plasterboard. I need to make the bit behind the PB a safe zone, and
I guess the cable itself is not enough. What is the most basic
accessory (can be ugly, will be behind kitchen units) that can be
fitted around an already clipped cable that will not break the
cable, and will create, say, a 50mm safe zone ?
Or in this situation, can you just put a sign up with arrows,
saying, this is a safe zone, "there is a cable here" etc.
Cheers,

Is it an RCD protected cable?

Yes its is RCD protected. There are 2 cables routed like that, a 2.5mm
ring and 1.5mm lighting circuit.

Then go with Tabbys idea.

Or just don't bother about it:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 May 2011 10:51:53 -0700 (PDT), Tabby
wrote:

On May 28, 6:41*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
Here's a nice little one.
I have a cable running horizontally and surface wired. It then keeps
going in the same direction, but disappears behind some plasterboard.
I need to make the bit behind the PB a safe zone, and I guess the
cable itself is not enough. What is the most basic accessory (can be
ugly, will be behind kitchen units) that can be fitted around an
already clipped cable that will not break the cable, and will create,
say, a 50mm safe zone ?
Or in this situation, can you just put a sign up with arrows, saying,
this is a safe zone, "there is a cable here" etc.
Cheers,
Simon.

blanking plate on surface pattress box. Pattresses can be sawn so it
doesnt affect the cable.

Blanking plate and some instant grab adhesive (eg Sticks Like Sh**).
Simplzzz
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2011 18:41, sm_jamieson wrote:
Here's a nice little one.
I have a cable running horizontally and surface wired. It then keeps
going in the same direction, but disappears behind some plasterboard.
I need to make the bit behind the PB a safe zone, and I guess the
cable itself is not enough. What is the most basic accessory (can be
ugly, will be behind kitchen units) that can be fitted around an
already clipped cable that will not break the cable, and will create,
say, a 50mm safe zone ?
Or in this situation, can you just put a sign up with arrows, saying,
this is a safe zone, "there is a cable here" etc.
Cheers,
Simon.

Is the surface wiring going to be easily visible? If so, although it may
not be to regs, I'd say its presence and the direction it disappears
into would be a more likely to indicate to a layman where a hidden cable
may be than an accessory is! How many people putting up a picture would
actually know about safe zones? They may be a lot more worried about
where a cable that they can see goes after it disappears.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 8:14*pm, Steve Walker
wrote:
[...]

Yes it's a good point. All of this is faily academic anyway, since the
"surface wired" and hidden wiring is all behind kitchen base units.
The wiring was all done before plasterboading, and the "surface wired"
parts are where there will be no plasterboard (no point, more space
for pipes etc).
Simon.