Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glueing wood to plaster

I am building some cupboards in our new bathroom. The walls are now
made of soft wood-fibre insulation, so it is hard/impossible to screw
any fixings to them (the fixings will just pull out). On the other
hand, if I glue a sheet of wood to the wall, that will spread the load
over a wide enough area that all should be well.

The walls are not completely flat, so any glue will need to be at
least slightly gap-filling. I have had not had good experience with
no-more-nails (skirting boards usually fall off). The obvious answer
appears to be foaming polyurethane glue (manufacturers tend to claim
that will fasten most things), but I have a pot of cascamite, and I
wondered if that would work.

What does the panel think?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
I am building some cupboards in our new bathroom. The walls are now
made of soft wood-fibre insulation, so it is hard/impossible to screw
any fixings to them (the fixings will just pull out). On the other
hand, if I glue a sheet of wood to the wall, that will spread the load
over a wide enough area that all should be well.

The walls are not completely flat, so any glue will need to be at
least slightly gap-filling. I have had not had good experience with
no-more-nails (skirting boards usually fall off). The obvious answer
appears to be foaming polyurethane glue (manufacturers tend to claim
that will fasten most things), but I have a pot of cascamite, and I
wondered if that would work.

What does the panel think?

I would have thought 'NoMoreNails' or one of its competitor products would
be ideal. I've just bought some B&Q equivalent and it specifically refers to
use for fixing skirting boards, battens, etc to walls. Having used similar
stuff in the past I can vouch for the strength of adhesion.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Martin Bonner writes
I am building some cupboards in our new bathroom. The walls are now
made of soft wood-fibre insulation, so it is hard/impossible to screw
any fixings to them (the fixings will just pull out). On the other
hand, if I glue a sheet of wood to the wall, that will spread the load
over a wide enough area that all should be well.

Made of soft wood-fibre insulation or filled with same? What provides
the finished surface? Plasterboard? Low density fibreboard? Any studs
underneath?

The risk of gluing to any surface in a bathroom is moisture ingress and
detachment of the surface layer that you have bonded to, resulting in
the mounted item falling off and landing on someone's head.

What does the panel think?

Without more info on the substrate, I'd say bad idea.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 1:58*pm, Martin Bonner wrote:
I am building some cupboards in our new bathroom. *The walls are now
made of soft wood-fibre insulation, so it is hard/impossible to screw
any fixings to them (the fixings will just pull out). *On the other
hand, if I glue a sheet of wood to the wall, that will spread the load
over a wide enough area that all should be well.

The walls are not completely flat, so any glue will need to be at
least slightly gap-filling. *I have had not had good experience with
no-more-nails (skirting boards usually fall off). *The obvious answer
appears to be foaming polyurethane glue (manufacturers tend to claim
that will fasten most things), but I have a pot of cascamite, and I
wondered if that would work.

What does the panel think?

You could get some frames fixings (intended for doors & windows).
These might be long enough to g oright through your surface material
to the sub-strate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 4:44*pm, fred wrote:
Made of soft wood-fibre insulation or filled with same? What provides
the finished surface? Plasterboard? Low density fibreboard? Any studs
underneath?

The surface ~10mm is painted hydraulic lime plaster. There is then
100mm of Pavadentro (which is approximately very thick low-density
fibreboard), and masonry behind that.

The risk of gluing to any surface in a bathroom is moisture ingress and
detachment of the surface layer that you have bonded to, resulting in
the mounted item falling off and landing on someone's head.

The floor will carry the weight, this is only to resist (eg) toddlers
pulling themselves up by it.

What does the panel think?

Without more info on the substrate, I'd say bad idea.

The substrate doesn't really lend itself to screw fixing either ...