Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Builders quotes

Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people
here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not
include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built
house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

I would like to accept the cheapest quote but I am bit wary, maybe
£45000 is too cheap?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

yes.

The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people
here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not
include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built
house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

typical values for a raw build are from 600-1000 square meter. So the
quotes above are in the right range at least.

The issue is what the fine print of the quote says, or doesn't say.

There are many ways to build. sling cheap blocks on inadequate or barely
adequate foundations, use the crappiest windows, plastic sills, put in
prefab roof trusses, and cheapest slap on machine tiles or slates and
simply fill the cracks between plasterboard drylining and spray it
magnolia....add in a few really cheap rads and surface copper or plastic
plumbing.. its just a dull square box..oh and forget to add in things
like extensive drainage mods so the bogs work properly,, and soakaways
so the garden doesn't flood. Or indeed enough wiring to make it usable
in a modern context.

At the other end, what about half timbered construction on a well
planned and drained site, with bogs that work properly, a hand built
roof featuring attractive dormers, covered in hand made tiles, and
floored properly to make usable storage space. Fully plastered inside to
a high professional standard, and painted colour of your choice in
quality paint..and real wood or slate floors..windows of solid oak..and
a nice brick chimney and open fire? UFH heating and not a pipe to be
seen anywhere. And Cat 5 and satellite cables everywhere..juts not visible.

I would like to accept the cheapest quote but I am bit wary, maybe
£45000 is too cheap?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Graham Jones scribeth thus
Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people
here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not
include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built
house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

I would like to accept the cheapest quote but I am bit wary, maybe
£45000 is too cheap?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Graham

JOOI etc.. Is that One story or Two?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2011 10:44, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people
here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not
include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built
house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

I would like to accept the cheapest quote but I am bit wary, maybe
£45000 is too cheap?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Graham

Have you given the builders detailed specifications and drawings which
have been passed by Building Control, or just described verbally what
you require? If the former, and the quotes are in enough detail to
satisfy you that they meet the spec., go for the cheapest one.

If the latter, you need to dig a lot deeper to find out exactly what
each builder is offering. If the drawings haven't yet been approved,
whose reponsibility is it to make sure that what is built will meet
building regs - yours or the builders'?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Fri, 20 May 2011 02:44:58 -0700 (PDT), a certain
chimpanzee, Graham Jones , randomly hit the
keyboard and wrote:

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

Have you got full plans & specifications? Have they priced against
these? If no to either then the cheaper quote could be hoping to make
it up with 'extras'. ("You want mortar between the bricks? Thats not
on the speci; it'll cost you extra.")
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 20, 4:22*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Quotes have been done from stamped building regs drawings.

Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 20, 10:44*am, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people
here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not
include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built
house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

I would like to accept the cheapest quote but I am bit wary, maybe
£45000 is too cheap?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Graham

All depends on how tight your specification is. (ie the description/
plans for what you want doing).
If it is a poor job, cowboy builders will come in with a cheap quote
and then ask for more money when you say "What about so and so?" You
can end up paying lots more than the expensive quote.

So no-one can tell you anything at all without sight of this and the
plans and viewing the the site.
Even for just the shell of the building, there are a huge range of
options, not to mention what they find when the start excavations.

So, your question is irrelevant. No-one can answer it.
You need an experienced person to see you through this that is on
"your side".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 20, 8:09*pm, Graham Jones wrote:
[...]

Graham- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, that doesn't mean a thing. You have to lay out exactly what you
want and expect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:

Graham Jones wrote:

quotes we have received from builders for an extension
range from just under £45000 to just over £69000.

Have you got full plans & specifications? Have they priced against
these?

In another place, I've seen someone recommend this mob ...

http://www.estimators-online.co.uk/default.jsp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2011 10:44, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people
here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not
include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built
house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

I would like to accept the cheapest quote but I am bit wary, maybe
£45000 is too cheap?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Graham

For a top quality job, with everything included clearly documented
beforehand, you are looking towards £1000/m2 so the £45k quote is way
under and you have to ask why.

Have the quotes been returned to you on a fag packet or have they
included a detailed spec of what is and isn't included in a floor by
floor/room by room breakdown. For example the cheap quote, does it
include windows and if so what sort, does it include internal doors, if
so what sort. Does it include sockets or simply provision for sockets.
You need a detailed breakdown before you can compare prices. Do they
give any guarantees on start and finish dates?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Graham Jones writes
Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

Yes
The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people
here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not
include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built
house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

I would like to accept the cheapest quote but I am bit wary, maybe
£45000 is too cheap?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Graham

Regardless of what everyone else has said best thing is a personal
recommendation.

--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 May 2011 02:44:58 -0700 (PDT), Graham Jones
wrote:

Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

I was told years ago that quotes can vary a lot if people don't need
the work. e.g. if you're busy then give a high quote. If you win it
then sub-contract it.

MOST important is find out who they've done jobs for then look at what
they did and speak to their customers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people
here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not
include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built
house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

I would like to accept the cheapest quote but I am bit wary, maybe
£45000 is too cheap?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

If any of them are out Doncaster way then email me. I know some of the
good/bad ones:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 20, 10:44*am, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people
here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not
include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built
house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

I would like to accept the cheapest quote but I am bit wary, maybe
£45000 is too cheap?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.

Watch out for these (we had all of them):

Them starting the work and then going off to do other jobs for weeks
on end.
'Extras' : things that get added to the spec after they start work
and for which they can charge an arm and a leg.
Them not building what it says on the plans - who is going to do the
checking? architect? you?
Is it really a quote or is it only an estimate?

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I am wondering if someone can help with some quotes we have received
from builders for an extension. The quotes range from just under
£45000 to just over £69000. It seems to me that there is a large
difference in the quotes I have received, is this normal?

The extension will add an extra 77sqm to the house so what do people
here think of these quotes bearing in mind that the quotes do not
include internal fittings (bathroom, kitchen units etc), brick built
house, nothing special really, South Yorkshire area.

I paid £20,000 for a well-built single storey (21 sq m) extension in
Leicester last year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 12:28*am, hugh ] wrote:
In message
,
[...]

....and if you can find a builder that you're 100% happy with, they
you're not much of a DIY-er! ;-)

Seriously, if you haven't got a personal recommendation (from someone
you trust - not the builder's relative), and haven't seen their work,
then don't consider it.

You're letting yourself in for hell anyway, so don't risk it.

Cheers,
David.

P.S. most good builders are quite busy - even now. Extremely busy in
the past. The best reasonably priced tradespeople have a waiting list.

THE TOP 10 quotes of 2008 Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 December 17th 08 01:01 AM
THE TOP 10 quotes of 2008 Martin H. Eastburn Metalworking 0 December 16th 08 03:25 AM
MOTIVATED QUOTES avtar Woodworking 0 December 11th 06 07:03 AM
MOTIVATED QUOTES raj Home Repair 0 December 10th 06 06:38 AM
Do Builders Charge For Quotes?? SuzySue UK diy 5 January 21st 04 05:34 PM