Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blackboard paint and a suitable substrate

I've used blackboard paint directly on plaster before with ok results
but I want to make one to fix to the inside of a panelled door.

I happened to catch an episode of "How it's Made" the other day on TV
(Quest) and they showed a blackboard being made a metal (unspecified)
surface bonded to a ply backing and then sprayed with blackboard
paint.

Plywood especially from the sheds has a really crap surface finish
that even a lengthy spell with a sander probably can't fix so I was
thinking of a similar approach to the commercial ones shown on the tv.

Would I be better with mild steel, aluminium or something else, maybe
mdf bonded to a plywood backing?

Any recommendations for blackboard paint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
news
I've used blackboard paint directly on plaster before with ok results
but I want to make one to fix to the inside of a panelled door.

I happened to catch an episode of "How it's Made" the other day on TV
(Quest) and they showed a blackboard being made a metal (unspecified)
surface bonded to a ply backing and then sprayed with blackboard
paint.

Its steel, allows magnets to stick.

Plywood especially from the sheds has a really crap surface finish
that even a lengthy spell with a sander probably can't fix so I was
thinking of a similar approach to the commercial ones shown on the tv.

Would I be better with mild steel, aluminium or something else, maybe
mdf bonded to a plywood backing?

MDF unless you need the steel.

Any recommendations for blackboard paint?

You can buy blackboard paint so I would use that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
The Other Mike wrote:

I've used blackboard paint directly on plaster before with ok results
but I want to make one to fix to the inside of a panelled door.

I happened to catch an episode of "How it's Made" the other day on TV
(Quest) and they showed a blackboard being made a metal (unspecified)
surface bonded to a ply backing and then sprayed with blackboard
paint.

Plywood especially from the sheds has a really crap surface finish
that even a lengthy spell with a sander probably can't fix so I was
thinking of a similar approach to the commercial ones shown on the tv.

Would I be better with mild steel, aluminium or something else, maybe
mdf bonded to a plywood backing?

Any recommendations for blackboard paint?

--

MDF?

Yup, that's what I used when I did one for the kids. nice smooth
surface.

Blackboard paint - what ever is in the shop, which will most likely be
International Paints version it seems
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 20, 8:21*am, chris French
wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes

The Other Mike wrote:

[...]

+1

The shiny side of hardboard is a good stopgap.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 May 2011 22:40:10 +0100, The Other Mike
wrote:

Plywood especially from the sheds has a really crap surface finish
that even a lengthy spell with a sander probably can't fix so I was
thinking of a similar approach to the commercial ones shown on the tv.

If you want to use plywood rather than the much smoother MDF then a
good smooth surface for paint can be achieved by using car body filler
applied with a steel scraper and sanded down afterwards.

If you use an angle grinder for the sanding (not really recommended
unless you like a rustic finish) you will have managed to use the two
universal uk.d-i-y solutions to all problems in one project.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 May 2011 23:15:58 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
news
Any recommendations for blackboard paint?

You can buy blackboard paint so I would use that.

Did you really mean to say that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
news
Any recommendations for blackboard paint?

You can buy blackboard paint so I would use that.

Yes.

But to be more specific, this looks good
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/s...0-ml-black.asp

It claims to make stuff like MDF magnetic and black.

Did you really mean to say that?

creating a blackboard on a melamine kitchen unit The Night Tripper[_3_] UK diy 9 November 24th 10 08:23 AM
paint/varnish suitable for children's furniture Fred UK diy 14 October 14th 10 09:48 PM
blackboard paint Fred UK diy 24 June 23rd 10 12:10 AM
Suitable paint for garage walls? DeeBee UK diy 4 January 27th 06 11:50 PM