Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom cabinet electrical shock?

Ok. Had some time to really think about this now.

Narrowed it down to the tingling caused when touching cabinet and tap, or with bare feet on the tiled floor, it doesn't happen with shoes on, just touching the cabinet.

So, I have set my DMM to 200VAC and probed the cabinet door and the mixer tap below it...
result gives varied readings, starting as high as 10.4 and dropping always to 00.1VAC (is this dissipating through merely touching/probing?)

I also probed from the cabinet to a nearby towel rail...
and get similar results

And between the cabinet and a fly lead connected to the earth block in the understairs cupboard.

The reading seem to be all over the place on all these test points, but always quickly drop to 00.1

I also get readings by moding over to 2VDC

What can I deduce from these figures?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 12:18*pm, deano wrote:
Ok. Had some time to really think about this now.

Narrowed it down to the tingling caused when touching cabinet and tap, or with bare feet on the tiled floor, it doesn't happen with shoes on, just touching the cabinet.

So, I have set my DMM to 200VAC and probed the cabinet door and the mixer tap below it...
result gives varied readings, starting as high as 10.4 and dropping always to *00.1VAC (is this dissipating through merely touching/probing?)

I also probed from the cabinet to a nearby towel rail...
and get similar results

And between the cabinet and a fly lead connected to the earth block in the understairs cupboard.

The reading seem to be all over the place on all these test points, but always quickly drop to 00.1

I also get readings by moding over to 2VDC

What can I deduce from these figures?

I'm no expert when it come to mains wiring but heres my interpretation

Tiled floor (assuming glazed ceramic) would be a good insulator and no
route to earth, so attempting readings between floor and anything else
wouldn't be meaningfull

readings on the 2VDC would also be fairly meaningless , try holding on
to the probes, you'll prob see a similar readings. Your body will be
acting as an aerial of picking up electrical noise, the digital meters
are very sensitive

If the readings drop off quickly that would suggest to me some kind of
filtering capacitor which you are discharging. possibly an input
capacitor on the transformer

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
deano wrote:
What can I deduce from these figures?

There is a small capacitor connected between line and the case. Which
quickly discharges through the resistance of the meter.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.