Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rain coming in, window in wrong position?

My mother in law is having some work done in her house.
There is water getting in around one of the bedroom windows, its in a
cavity wall, the builder has told her that the window is too far back
and needs removing and refitting futher forward (and that in that case
she might as well have a new window).

Is this BS? The only reason I can see for the position of a window being
a problem in this way would be if water was running down the cavity.

Is it normal for water to run between the walls?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
My mother in law is having some work done in her house.
There is water getting in around one of the bedroom windows, its in a
cavity wall, the builder has told her that the window is too far back
and needs removing and refitting futher forward (and that in that case
she might as well have a new window).

Is this BS? The only reason I can see for the position of a window being
a problem in this way would be if water was running down the cavity.

Is it normal for water to run between the walls?

abso****inglutely not.

check it out properly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
My mother in law is having some work done in her house.
There is water getting in around one of the bedroom windows, its in a
cavity wall, the builder has told her that the window is too far back
and needs removing and refitting futher forward (and that in that case
she might as well have a new window).

You don't say the age of the property or type of window. But on most
properties (with a cavity) built before the mid-fifties early sixties, the
window would have been fitted behind the brickwork reveals of the outer skin
of the cavity (usually box-frames [sliding sashes[) and it was normal to put
a compo pointing between the window frame and reveal.

When the 'new fangled' EJMA windows (casements to you and me now) came in to
popular use after the war, builders started installing them between the
reveals of the walls - saving material, time and hard cash.

Don't be bullied into a window renewal (unless it's obviously rotten) - find
the cause of the leak first.

Is this BS? The only reason I can see for the position of a window
being a problem in this way would be if water was running down the
cavity.
Is it normal for water to run between the walls?

In a nutshell yes, that's what a cavity is designed for, as bricks can be
rather porus. In MIL's case, I would start by looking at the eaves of the
roof as any leak here could cause water to drop into the cavity, landing on
the cavity tray that's over the top of the window (or should be) and running
back into the inner skin - or simply running down the inner skin (not good
or normal).

While you're at that level having a gander, check to see if any weep holes
are blocked in the tray area, if they are, prod 'em clear.

You could also check the joint between the window and brick reveal, as any
leak here may be able to track across the cavity if the dampcourse between
frame and wall has failed (water can also penetrate the brickwork and do the
same) - and fill any open joint with a bead of mastic.

If you can see no obvious reason for the pproblem (and there are no holes in
the brick bed-joints or reveals), then give a few square metres of brickwork
around the window a few coats of liquid silicone - this can stop water
running through porus bricks.

Just a few suggestions to look at first.

Woodworm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
R D S wrote:
My mother in law is having some work done in her house.
There is water getting in around one of the bedroom windows, its in a
cavity wall, the builder has told her that the window is too far back
and needs removing and refitting futher forward (and that in that
case she might as well have a new window).

Is this BS? The only reason I can see for the position of a window
being a problem in this way would be if water was running down the
cavity. Is it normal for water to run between the walls?

abso****inglutely not.

Not quite true, that is the idea of a cavity wall as brickwork can be rather
porus - the rain could also be penetrating into the cavity from roof level.

check it out properly.

Agreed there, it's also possible that the cavity tray above the window is
causing the problem (weep holes blocke etc) - along with a failed DPC 'tween
wall and frame or even dirty ties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
My mother in law is having some work done in her house.
There is water getting in around one of the bedroom windows, its in a
cavity wall, the builder has told her that the window is too far back
and needs removing and refitting futher forward (and that in that
case she might as well have a new window).

Is this BS? The only reason I can see for the position of a window
being a problem in this way would be if water was running down the
cavity. Is it normal for water to run between the walls?

abso****inglutely not.

Not quite true, that is the idea of a cavity wall as brickwork can be rather
porus - the rain could also be penetrating into the cavity from roof level.

Which is not normal. You may have high humidity in the cavity, but never
running water.

It simply ropts any window frames ..

check it out properly.

Agreed there, it's also possible that the cavity tray above the window is
causing the problem (weep holes blocke etc) - along with a failed DPC 'tween
wall and frame or even dirty ties.

Far more likely its like my old house. Failed bargeboards and rain
driving into a gable end and running down inside the walls.

There are no 'cavity trays' above windows. Nor 'weep holes'

Neither does anyone install DPCs between windows and walls.

Your posts are so full of simply wrong information that its difficult to
know where to begin..