Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Guttering - connecting square to round

Two semi-detatched houses. A shared downpipe. One house has the
original fitting round guttering, the other has replacement
square guttering. The ahem "professional" who installed the
square guttering simply laid the end into the existing round
outlet, packed some (what looks like) bathroom sealant around
it. He then saddled up and rode off into the sunset.

[ Time passes, House gets sold. New people don't know who did
the guttering. The seal degrades tot he point where it is
completely useless. ]

Now, I know you can get round to square adapters, that will
connect a length of round gutter to a square length. However, I've
never seen a downpipe outlet with one square side and one round
one. So the question is: Can anyone point me in the direction of
one?

Plan "B" would be to cut back a short length of the square
gutter, install some round stuff coming out of the outlet and
then put an adapter between the two types. However, we'd prefer
a "proper" fix, rather than this sort of makeshift arrangement,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 2:58*pm, root wrote:
[...]

http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-to-...or-white/74881

Sure its available in other colours.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 07:02:59 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:
On Apr 28, 2:58?pm, root wrote:
[...]

yes, that's "plan B". What I'm hoping for is a running outlet, with
one side moulded to take square guttering and the other side with a
profile for round guttering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 3:22*pm, root wrote:
yes, that's "plan B". What I'm hoping for is a running outlet, with
one side moulded to take square guttering and the other side with a
profile for round guttering.- Hide quoted text -

Some hope. If you take the suggestion of Simon you will have a short
offcut of square or round to fit between the running outlet and the
other brand. Or you could clean off the sealant and redo with the
latest high quality sealant which should last out another 10 years.

What I would say if you go the route of adaptors you will probably
waste a day trying to match up the styles of guttering which is not to
any known standard. Surely life is too short and who knows if the
original bodger was the householder himself? How many times does the
average homeowner look up and worry about the state of their
guttering. Bodgit and scarper might be your best bet.

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 3:37*pm, Dave Starling wrote:
On Apr 28, 3:22*pm, root wrote: yes, that's "plan B". What I'm hoping for is a running outlet, with
one side moulded to take square guttering and the other side with a
profile for round guttering.- Hide quoted text -

Some hope. *If you take the suggestion of Simon you will have a short
offcut of square or round to fit between the running outlet and the
other brand. Or you could clean off the sealant and redo with the
latest high quality sealant which should last out another 10 years.

What I would say if you go the route of adaptors you will probably
waste a day trying to match up the styles of guttering which is not to
any known standard. Surely life is too short and who knows if the
original bodger was the householder himself? How many times does the
average homeowner look up and worry about the state of their
guttering. Bodgit and scarper might be your best bet.

Dave.

If you're really determined, you might reshape the plastic using
boiling water, but I wouldnt bother. Another maybe would be to make a
plastic adaptor to enable the square gutter to sit in the round
downbit, with just the usual rubber strip sealant.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2011 14:58, root wrote:
[...]

Are you any good at copper beating? If so, make your own. If not, go
with plan B as it is the only way using off the shelf products.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 07:37:30 -0700 (PDT), Dave Starling wrote:

What I would say if you go the route of adaptors you will probably
waste a day trying to match up the styles of guttering which is not to
any known standard. Surely life is too short and who knows if the
original bodger was the householder himself?

Well, as the owner of the house with the original gutter, I can attest
to the status of the individual who did the new installation. Apart
from the lame-brainness of suggesting to the old dear who lived next
door, that she should have _square_ guttering when every other house in
the street has traditional round, he also tried it on with me.
[ story follows ]
When the "work" (I use the term in its loosest possible sense) was being
done, I got home from work. Shortly after, knock, knock. Open the door
to be confronted by a very, very large bloke who informed me that he was
doing some work next door and "did you know your ridge tiles need
repointing?". So we wander out and have a chat. Large chap waves hand
in general direction of roof and says he noticed it while he was up
there, earlier. I'm told that he is going to do next-doors' tomorrow and
if I'd like to have mine done at the same time, it'll be Â60, cash.
Says I: "I can't see anything wrong" "Ahh, you have to get close to see
the problem". At that point I pop back indoors and pull out a pair of
25x100 binoculars. Point them at the indicated ridge tiles and still
can't see any difference between the "good" and the "bad" pointing.
I tell him I'll leave it for now, thanks.
Come the next day, get home from work, point 'noculars at neighbour's
ridge and can't see any evidence of work being done. Ask large guy
about it as he's packing up and "oh, we didn't have time".

How many times does the
average homeowner look up and worry about the state of their
guttering. Bodgit and scarper might be your best bet.

It's not so much about looks, the state of it is now at the point where
almost no water goes into the downpipe. When it rains, it all just pours
out of the freely flapping loose end of the square guttering. Luckily it
is sufficiently far from the house wall that the water doesn't run down
the wall itself. Same situation at the back of the houses, where the
water pours conveniently onto our conservatory rooves (roofs? suit yourself).
That's going to be more interesting to fix, as there's little scope for
getting access to the guttering.