Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laminate flooring advice / tips?

I wonder if someone could help me with the following?
The laminate I am laying is slate tile effect 2ft x 1ft. I take it these
should be staggered exactly in the middle to make it look more of a tile
effect?

I'm struggling for which corner to start in.
Its a kitchen / diner I'm doing with a breakfast bar in the middle of a
wall. I was hoping to start on the radiator wall as it would be much easier
but think I would struggle when it gets to the other side of the breakfast
bar but if I start at the opposite wall the CH Radiator will look terrible!!

I've drawn a very rough plan here
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...groomtiles.jpg

Starting at section A from left to right would help with the pipes under the
radiator but I would struggle at B especially to get the laminate sitting in
to the kickplate properly.
Or when I get to B I suppose I could then start with the section between the
breakfast bar and floor units?

Anyone any good sites for advice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" spam@away wrote in message
[...]

No, but when you mop it do not soak it.
It will show up every little mark - like the footprints of a pet.
Carpets absorb dust, you will be gobsmacked by the amount of dust you will
find in your home.
Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Your description with drawing does not help that much .... you should try &
start at longest wall (poss wall units) click full length row together,
then at least another 2 rows onto that, then trim fit the first row, either
by simply wedging, or cutting, this first row needs to be parallel, as it
sets the way all other rows will run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:30:31 +0100, Steven Campbell wrote:

I'm struggling for which corner to start in.

Don't start ina corner start along a side, preferably the one that is
most visible when you enter the room. I suspect there is a door
opposite then end of the breakfast bar? So the first run needs to be
neat along the door radiator wall (cut around the protrusion from the
door work across the narrow width of the room. Having said don't
start in a corner, make corner AC (right of the rad) as neat as
possible. How square is that corner? Corners A and C themselves are
"hidden".

Remove the kick plates, lay lamiante under the units, trim kickplates
and refit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've drawn a very rough plan herehttp://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/p3asa1/Floor/diningroomtiles.jpg

Starting at section A from left to right would help with the pipes under the
radiator but I would struggle at B especially to get the laminate sitting in
to the kickplate properly.
Or when I get to B I suppose I could then start with the section between the
breakfast bar and floor units?

Anyone any good sites for advice?

If it's clock lock stuff then starting at A will make it very
difficult to work backwards down the section between the units and the
b-bar.

I would start along the long wall opposite the double doors. I would
remove and trim the kickplates and take the laminate under the units.
You'll get a much better looking finish than trying to fit the
laminate up against the kickplates.

We have tile effect laminate in the kitchen and it has been very
durable, surviving a good saoking when the w/machine drain blocked and
overflowed. It's a lot more robust that some people give iot credit
for. I would still rather have real tiles but CBA ATM

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
[...]

------

Thanks. After having slept on it I kind of decided that as well. My major
concern was under the radiator and trying to fit it round the pipes with it
being the last board it would make it even harder. But now I think about it,
nobody sees in there so I could just rip the fixing lugs and lay it hard
against it with some sort of silicone below to hold it.

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:30:31 +0100, Steven Campbell wrote:

I'm struggling for which corner to start in.

Don't start ina corner start along a side, preferably the one that is
most visible when you enter the room. I suspect there is a door
opposite then end of the breakfast bar? So the first run needs to be
neat along the door radiator wall (cut around the protrusion from the
door work across the narrow width of the room. Having said don't
start in a corner, make corner AC (right of the rad) as neat as
possible. How square is that corner? Corners A and C themselves are
"hidden".

Remove the kick plates, lay lamiante under the units, trim kickplates
and refit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I'm really limited to where I can start as the boards are click and lock and
I have to run from left to right. So I will have to start in either A or
C.
My diagram is pretty poor now I look at it again as corner AC has double
doors as well but these lie flush with the wall rather than sitting in the
room.
Yes you are correct there is a door opposite the breakfast bar. Its the back
door and is set slightly in.
Your absolutely right re kick plates. I've already taken these off to fit
underneath. What I meant to say was I will struggle with the end panel at C
down where the kick plate is as the boards obviously have to go in at an
angle.

Thanks for your advice.