Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A real angle grinder question !!

In a thread on 'Tools' John Rumm scores the brownie point for
suggestion an angle grinder - and that reminded me that my small one
has had to go in the bin - worn out and the clamp nut wouldn't budge
the other day whatever I did.

So as a DIY'er with currently no specific uses and a general
requirement, what is good value for money at the moment ? I've got a
9" electric one from Aldis for heavier cutting.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2011 20:43, robgraham wrote:
In a thread on 'Tools' John Rumm scores the brownie point for
suggestion an angle grinder - and that reminded me that my small one
has had to go in the bin - worn out and the clamp nut wouldn't budge
the other day whatever I did.

So as a DIY'er with currently no specific uses and a general
requirement, what is good value for money at the moment ? I've got a
9" electric one from Aldis for heavier cutting.

Rob

I bought a 'Site' brand (made by Makita) from SF which is superb - cut
above the cheapies I've had before. Can't find it on their 'improved'
web site though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 8:30*am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

I bought a 'Site' brand (made by Makita) from SF which is superb - cut
above the cheapies I've had before. *Can't find it on their 'improved'
web site though.

They were in the bargain clearance section just a few days ago.

Agreed, the Site stuff seems very good. I've got a Makita 9" (80 quid
ten years ago) and a mate has a recent Site (fivepence hapenny). You
can't tell them apart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/site-sma91...questid=214521

I bought 2 of these when they were 40 quid, they rev a lot slower than the
89" 230V bosh.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 22/04/2011 19:12, andrew wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/site-sma91...questid=214521

I bought 2 of these when they were 40 quid, they rev a lot slower than
the 89" 230V bosh.

I would have thought the spindle speed would be the same on both - its
set to give the right cut rate at the edge of the disk.

Bosch ones do have a characteristic sound that is different from many
though.

I've an optical tacho at work, I'll check the no load speed of both when I
get back, if I remember.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/site-sma91...questid=214521

I bought 2 of these when they were 40 quid, they rev a lot slower than the
89" 230V bosh.

89"? Now thats what I call an angle grinder :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/site-sma91...questid=214521

I bought 2 of these when they were 40 quid, they rev a lot slower than
the 89" 230V bosh.

89"? Now thats what I call an angle grinder :-)

Fat Finger Fault, I meant 9*

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 8:27*am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

89"? *Now thats what I call an angle grinder :-)

One of the neighbours has a 60" -- they're a monumental mason