Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing rendering on wall

My garden wall is rendered. It has developed a crack over a few years
and now needs a patch applying. About 1.5m by 20cm. Is it worth
putting anything such as stainless steel mesh onto the wall before
applying new render. Does it need PVA.
Help appreciated.
Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 11:24*pm, Tim Decker wrote:
My garden wall is rendered. It has developed a crack over a few years
and now needs a patch applying. About 1.5m by 20cm. Is it worth
putting anything such as stainless steel mesh onto the wall before
applying new render.

If the wall moves, it will crack. Putting EML on will simply move the
position of the crack. So no imho.

Does it *need PVA.

Matter of opinion really. PVA isnt waterproof. Its mainly useful if
the substrate's cumbling, but if it is you should really cut back to
sound material.

Help appreciated.
Tim

Some walls move and crack, and need repair from time to time. Its
unlikely that one can stop it, unless by simple measures such as
fixing pointing.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Apr, 23:24, Tim Decker wrote:
My garden wall is rendered. It has developed a crack over a few years
and now needs a patch applying. About 1.5m by 20cm. Is it worth
putting anything such as stainless steel mesh onto the wall before
applying new render. Does it *need PVA.
Help appreciated.
Tim

No to both, I'd just render it, but if you make sure to remove as much
render as appears loose, so you are working up to a soundly attached
edge, the repair will last longer. Don't take that too literally or
you'll have a bare wall before you know it.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2011 05:58, Tabby wrote:
On Apr 18, 11:24 pm, Tim wrote:
My garden wall is rendered. It has developed a crack over a few years
and now needs a patch applying. About 1.5m by 20cm. Is it worth
putting anything such as stainless steel mesh onto the wall before
applying new render.

If the wall moves, it will crack. Putting EML on will simply move the
position of the crack. So no imho.

Does it need PVA.

Matter of opinion really. PVA isnt waterproof. Its mainly useful if
the substrate's cumbling, but if it is you should really cut back to
sound material.

Help appreciated.
Tim

Some walls move and crack, and need repair from time to time. Its
unlikely that one can stop it, unless by simple measures such as
fixing pointing.

NT

Try SBR instead of pva
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:

On 18 Apr, 23:24, Tim Decker wrote:

My garden wall is rendered. It has developed a crack over a few years
and now needs a patch applying.

I'd just render it, but if you make sure to remove as much
render as appears loose, so you are working up to a soundly attached
edge

It helps if you can undercut the edge too ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 11:24*pm, Tim Decker wrote:
My garden wall is rendered. It has developed a crack over a few years
and now needs a patch applying. About 1.5m by 20cm. Is it worth
putting anything such as stainless steel mesh onto the wall before
applying new render. Does it *need PVA.
Help appreciated.
Tim

If your wal is more than 6m long it should have a movement joint.This
allows for expansion in the brickwork. On the other hand the footing
may have cracked or if it is a retaining wall, the earth may have
pushed it over.

In either event there is no point in trying to repair it. Best to
square/straighten it up with the disk cutter and insert slip ties.
http://www.ribaproductselector.com/P...traintSlipTies

You can buy movement joint strips made out of plastic that render
in,They have two "anchor strips" joined by a bit of crinkly plastic.
They cover the slot.
There's several sorts here.
http://www.c-sgroup.co.uk/products/a...y_plugging.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry but I may have misled you all. It is just the render that has
cracked as far as I can tell. The last couple of years of frost have
caused the render to break away. I will give it a go with some more
render and see how it goes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Apr, 22:29, Tim Decker wrote:
Sorry but I may have misled you all. It is just the render that has
cracked as far as I can tell. The *last couple of years of frost have
caused the render to break away. I will give it a go with some more
render and see how it goes.

Yes, I understood what you meant ;-)

Cheers
Richard

rendering an external wall - different mix for each coat? swimmydeepo UK diy 18 May 1st 10 01:21 PM
Rendering a Bath stone wall? [email protected] UK diy 1 October 25th 05 03:22 PM
Rendering a cellar wall yitzak UK diy 6 September 5th 05 03:57 PM
Rendering exterior wall Shabs UK diy 0 August 18th 04 01:15 PM