Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY road markings!

Just called down the local shop and there are two new white lines outside
here.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&q=mapplewell&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Mapplewell,+Barn sley,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ll=53.583785,-1.511832&spn=0,0.038409&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.58378 5,-1.511832&panoid=J0pX113RwOcrR2LDdt2PaQ&cbp=12,305. 02,,0,10.26

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3crcxdf

across the front of the "diveway".

Two |------| shaped lines, parallel to each other.
So I asked "Nasser, did you paint those?"
He replied that the council had done it.

Now can anyone else ever recollect the council using white gloss paint for
road marking?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2011 16:07, ARWadsworth wrote:
Just called down the local shop and there are two new white lines outside
here.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&q=mapplewell&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Mapplewell,+Barn sley,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ll=53.583785,-1.511832&spn=0,0.038409&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.58378 5,-1.511832&panoid=J0pX113RwOcrR2LDdt2PaQ&cbp=12,305. 02,,0,10.26

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3crcxdf

across the front of the "diveway".

Two |------| shaped lines, parallel to each other.
So I asked "Nasser, did you paint those?"
He replied that the council had done it.

Now can anyone else ever recollect the council using white gloss paint for
road marking?

I did once mark a driveway with a white line with bars at each end,
because of problems with people parking across it. I used line marking
spray paint and it worked very well. When the Council resurfaced the
road, their contractors dutifully replaced the line with hot laid
marking paint. It is now a permanent feature of the road.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

I did once mark a driveway with a white line with bars at each end,
because of problems with people parking across it. I used line marking
spray paint and it worked very well.

You made up a stencil?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Two |------| shaped lines, parallel to each other.
So I asked "Nasser, did you paint those?"
He replied that the council had done it.
Now can anyone else ever recollect the council using white
gloss paint for road marking?

It's called a "white H" and is a non-regulatory advisory marking.
It is required to be done in highway marking compound, not
decorator's paint, but I wouldn't put it past some cost-cutter at
the council to try it.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Two |------| shaped lines, parallel to each other.
So I asked "Nasser, did you paint those?"
He replied that the council had done it.
Now can anyone else ever recollect the council using white
gloss paint for road marking?

It's called a "white H" and is a non-regulatory advisory marking.
It is required to be done in highway marking compound, not
decorator's paint, but I wouldn't put it past some cost-cutter at
the council to try it.

Any requirement to put two "white H" lines down?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any requirement to put two "white H" lines down?

I knew someone who got one (and it was only one). I've never seen or
heard of a double H. Perhaps it was a DIY job with the thought "double
yellow lines are tougher than single so...."

As JGH said, councils can take action against those parking by dropped
kerbs whether or not there is a marking. See eg
http://www.barnsley.gov.uk/parking-at-drop-kerbs

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2011 17:37, GB wrote:
Nightjar"cpb"@" wrote:

I did once mark a driveway with a white line with bars at each end,
because of problems with people parking across it. I used line marking
spray paint and it worked very well.

You made up a stencil?

I had a simple line marking machine for marking out the lines on my
factory car parking areas and used that.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere writes:

I did once mark a driveway with a white line with bars at each end,
because of problems with people parking across it. I used line marking
spray paint and it worked very well. When the Council resurfaced the
road, their contractors dutifully replaced the line with hot laid
marking paint. It is now a permanent feature of the road.

Mine is the other way. There was an H when I moved in, but all the
road markings were almost invisible. Came home one day to find they'd
all been redone, except my H, which is now completely worn off. As yet,
no one has parked across it though.

Actually they've all just been repainted for a second time since my
H vanished, together with multi-coloured road finishings, which looked
quite good for the 3 days before a utility came and dug it all up,
and just used black tarmac to repair.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
Any requirement to put two "white H" lines down?

I knew someone who got one (and it was only one). I've never seen or
heard of a double H. Perhaps it was a DIY job with the thought
"double yellow lines are tougher than single so...."

The tin of paint and wet brush was "hidden" behind a sack of potatoes.

I could smell gloss paint and I could see gloss paint in the road. I will
take a photo later to show the double lines but I had left my camera on my
bedside cabinet and could not take a photo today.

As JGH said, councils can take action against those parking by dropped
kerbs whether or not there is a marking. See eg
http://www.barnsley.gov.uk/parking-at-drop-kerbs

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:05:33 +
0100
Robin wrote:

Any requirement to put two "white H" lines down?

I knew someone who got one (and it was only one). I've never seen or
heard of a double H. Perhaps it was a DIY job with the thought "double
yellow lines are tougher than single so...."

As JGH said, councils can take action against those parking by dropped
kerbs whether or not there is a marking. See eg
http://www.barnsley.gov.uk/parking-at-drop-kerbs

Interesting ...

Round here it is an offence (obstruction) to park across a dropped kerb unless
it leads to parking on your own property.

Thus we have soome roads with yellow lines to prevent commuter parking but the
lines stop either side of a dropped kerb. This allows a householder to have one
off-road parking space in front of their house (terraced houses - no garages)
and park a second vehicle on the public highway - but nobody else can park
there without their permission.

Continuous yellow lines are used where no on-road parking is permitted.

--

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:05:33 +0100, "Robin" wrote:

Any requirement to put two "white H" lines down?

I knew someone who got one (and it was only one). I've never seen or
heard of a double H. Perhaps it was a DIY job with the thought "double
yellow lines are tougher than single so...."

As JGH said, councils can take action against those parking by dropped
kerbs whether or not there is a marking. See eg
http://www.barnsley.gov.uk/parking-at-drop-kerbs

What action do they take against painting on the public highway?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Other Mike
writes
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:05:33 +0100, "Robin" wrote:

Any requirement to put two "white H" lines down?

I knew someone who got one (and it was only one). I've never seen or
heard of a double H. Perhaps it was a DIY job with the thought "double
yellow lines are tougher than single so...."

As JGH said, councils can take action against those parking by dropped
kerbs whether or not there is a marking. See eg
http://www.barnsley.gov.uk/parking-at-drop-kerbs

What action do they take against painting on the public highway?

5 years in the Louvre

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 18 Apr,
jgharston wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:
Two |------| shaped lines, parallel to each other.
So I asked "Nasser, did you paint those?"
He replied that the council had done it.
Now can anyone else ever recollect the council using white
gloss paint for road marking?

It's called a "white H" and is a non-regulatory advisory marking.
It is required to be done in highway marking compound, not
decorator's paint, but I wouldn't put it past some cost-cutter at
the council to try it.

Our lovcal high street has recently come under the council for parking. The
street is cobbled, and the markings rapidly fail. They've been round recently
with a can of the stuff they mark potholes with and re done the parking bays
with it, so they can get more tickets.

They are also re-laying the cobbles, but the yellow lines and parking bays
are being marked with the appropriate colour of block paving. previously
barred as it is a conservation area.

What a difference it has made for the council to get parking ticket revenue.

(not a bad thing, the way it was (not) administered before!)

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2011 22:40, The Other Mike wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:05:33 +0100, wrote:

Any requirement to put two "white H" lines down?

I knew someone who got one (and it was only one). I've never seen or
heard of a double H. Perhaps it was a DIY job with the thought "double
yellow lines are tougher than single so...."

As JGH said, councils can take action against those parking by dropped
kerbs whether or not there is a marking. See eg
http://www.barnsley.gov.uk/parking-at-drop-kerbs

What action do they take against painting on the public highway?

It could be classed as criminal damage. However, provided what you paint
is in accordance with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General
Directions and does not require a traffic order (which yellow lines, for
example, do) nobody is likely to either notice or bother.

There was a case a good many years ago where a woman, who had been
campaigning for a SLOW sign on the road near a school painted one
herself. She did it according to the TSRGR specification and the
newspaper reported the Police raction as being that it is not illegal to
paint road signs on the road.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

What action do they take against painting on the public highway?

5 years in the Louvre

For using Windows Paint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 18, 8:01*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
snip I had left my camera on my bedside cabinet/snip

Adam

I think that this intrigues me more than the gloss paint on the
road
Posted to uk.d-i-y

marpate1 wrote:
On Apr 18, 8:01 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
snip I had left my camera on my bedside cabinet/snip

Adam

I think that this intrigues me more than the gloss paint on the
road

Easy, and not what you think. The earth pin for the charger has snapped off
in that socket and it is the only socket I can now use in the house to
recharge the camera.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2011 14:00, ARWadsworth wrote:

Easy, and not what you think. The earth pin for the charger has snapped off
in that socket and it is the only socket I can now use in the house to
recharge the camera.

What does that say about the state of the electrics in an electrician's
house :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It says that "Made in China" chargers are ****.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2011 15:07, ARWadsworth wrote:
Clive wrote:
On 20/04/2011 14:00, ARWadsworth wrote:

Easy, and not what you think. The earth pin for the charger has
snapped off in that socket and it is the only socket I can now use
in the house to recharge the camera.

What does that say about the state of the electrics in an
electrician's house :-)

It says that "Made in China" chargers are ****.

A few travel chargers stacked up should let you move it around. Make it
two pin, and back again.

Can you really not get another one?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
On 20/04/2011 14:00, ARWadsworth wrote:

Easy, and not what you think. The earth pin for the charger has
snapped off in that socket and it is the only socket I can now use in
the house to recharge the camera.

What does that say about the state of the electrics in an
electrician's house :-)

It says that "Made in China" chargers are ****.

A few travel chargers stacked up should let you move it around. Make it
two pin, and back again.

Can you really not get another one?

I've just had another PSU case disintegrate. I'm doing same as last
time...getting an empty PSU case and re-housing it.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
On 20/04/2011 14:00, ARWadsworth wrote:

Easy, and not what you think. The earth pin for the charger has
snapped off in that socket and it is the only socket I can now use
in the house to recharge the camera.

What does that say about the state of the electrics in an
electrician's house :-)

It says that "Made in China" chargers are ****.

A few travel chargers stacked up should let you move it around. Make
it two pin, and back again.

Can you really not get another one?

Sure, but there is no rush and I would want it to be a genuine piece of
crap, not a fleabay copy of a piece of crap. As I have 8 double sockets in
the bedroom I am not desperate for the socket space.

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2011 19:25, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 18/04/2011 17:37, GB wrote:
Nightjar"cpb"@" wrote:

I did once mark a driveway with a white line with bars at each end,
because of problems with people parking across it. I used line marking
spray paint and it worked very well.

You made up a stencil?

I had a simple line marking machine for marking out the lines on my
factory car parking areas and used that.

Was that the type using liquid paint of an aerosol?