Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default timelapse

I've got a pir triggered wildlife camera to spy on my hedgehog feeder but
the time delay between trigger and picture is 1 sec. I want to try time
lapse but don't want to have to speed through loads of pictures. Is there
software that will take all these jpegs, monitor for a variable degree of
change from the last frame and dump all unchanged frames?

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"andrew" wrote in message
I've got a pir triggered wildlife camera to spy on my hedgehog feeder but
the time delay between trigger and picture is 1 sec. I want to try time
lapse but don't want to have to speed through loads of pictures. Is there
software that will take all these jpegs, monitor for a variable degree of
change from the last frame and dump all unchanged frames?

AJH

Well, if you've got a Canon non-SLR, you should check out CHDK which (among
many other things) can take pictures when the sensor detects a change. In
fact even if you don't have a Canon, this would be a good excuse to get one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

"andrew" wrote in message
I've got a pir triggered wildlife camera to spy on my hedgehog feeder but
the time delay between trigger and picture is 1 sec. I want to try time
lapse but don't want to have to speed through loads of pictures. Is there
software that will take all these jpegs, monitor for a variable degree of
change from the last frame and dump all unchanged frames?

AJH

Well, if you've got a Canon non-SLR, you should check out CHDK which
(among many other things) can take pictures when the sensor detects a
change. In fact even if you don't have a Canon, this would be a good
excuse to get one.

Thanks, I have a G9 and had seen there was a hack to increase the time it
would take timelapse but hadn't realised it could take frames if it
detected changes. I am a bit wary of messing with it as I consider it a
better camera than the ones that succeeded it.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 10, 9:52*pm, Skipweasel
wrote:
In article ,
says...

I've got a pir triggered wildlife camera to spy on my hedgehog feeder but
the time delay between trigger and picture is 1 sec. I want to try time
lapse but don't want to have to speed through loads of pictures. Is there
software that will take all these jpegs, monitor for a variable degree of
change from the last frame and dump all unchanged frames?

I'd just use IrfanView and hold the button down - it speeds through so
fast that you'll soon spot any change.

Were you using a webcam I'd suggest one of the many bits of freeware out
there which start collecting images when a threshold of changes is
passed.

Linux is very well served in this area, and you can boot into linux
right off a CD, and it doesnt touch your win install. Just google for
the relevant apps.

NT