Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cordless Drill recommendation

A friend wants a cordless drill for general DIY around the home. Not too
heavy, and with batteries that keep a reasonable charge between uses.
Any recommendations up to £100?

Thanks, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob" wrote in message
b.com...
A friend wants a cordless drill for general DIY around the home. Not too
heavy, and with batteries that keep a reasonable charge between uses. Any
recommendations up to £100?

Thanks, Rob

Definitely go for NiMH or Lithium ion, don't touch NiCad (which are still
around, e.g. on cut price De Walt, I think).

I'd say a spare battery and a big charger so that they recharge in an hour
is more important than voltage. I've had a 14.4 volt Ryobi which has had
heavy use. I had to re-cell one battery last year but that has still been
reliable, nice to use, and good value. Makita always gets good reviews.

If I were in the trade I'd want pro models with hammer action. As a domestic
user I manage fine with mains hammer drills (a Ryobi again for normal, and a
budget SDS for big holes) and just use the cordless for drilling wood (up to
1 inch) and metal (up to about 1/4 inch) and driving screws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2011 19:22, Rob wrote:
A friend wants a cordless drill for general DIY around the home. Not too
heavy, and with batteries that keep a reasonable charge between uses.
Any recommendations up to £100?

Thanks, Rob

Gotta be the bargain of the century

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25293/...4V-Combi-Drill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gotta be the bargain of the century

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25293/...4V-Combi-Drill

I'd certainly have one, if I were shopping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:10:22 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 28/03/2011 19:22, Rob wrote:
A friend wants a cordless drill for general DIY around the home. Not too
heavy, and with batteries that keep a reasonable charge between uses.
Any recommendations up to £100?

Thanks, Rob

Gotta be the bargain of the century

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25293/...4V-Combi-Drill

Possibly, but Screwfix had a combi drill (14.4v or possibly 18v NiMh)
and an SDS drill (GBH 2-24 iirc) in a package deal for under a ton
early last year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2011 19:22, Rob wrote:
A friend wants a cordless drill for general DIY around the home. Not too
heavy, and with batteries that keep a reasonable charge between uses.
Any recommendations up to £100?

Thanks, Rob

Gotta be the bargain of the century

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25293/...4V-Combi-Drill

Many thanks you and everyone. I got that one, Screwfix is nearby. Quite
fancy it for myself now!

Rob