Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rebuilding like for like (nearly) - Planning Permission required?

Hello all.

First off, the property is in a conservation area.

We have a SW facing single storey conservatory about 25 sq.m.,
brick/wood/glass construction with polycarb flat roofing.
It was here when we bought the place 30 years ago and is a lovely sun trap
on those rare afternoons/ evenings.

Unfortunately it is now somewhat aged and in need of extensive repair to
doors/window frames etc.

We're considering having the conservatory demolished and rebuilding at the
same size but with a load bearing roof. Put a doorway in upstairs and fit
handrails around the roof to create a patio type area at 1st storey level.

This would not overlook neighbouring properties.
Having a load bearing roof would increase the amount of brickwork
considerably. Also the layout of doors and windows would need to be changed.

Any ideas if this would require planning permission.

I've spoken with local council who are incredibly unhelpful.
Basically they've told me to put in a full application and they will tell me
if it needs permission.

Many thanks,

Nick.