DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Remove ceiling rose to fit light (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/320362-remove-ceiling-rose-fit-light.html)

goodolpete March 17th 11 02:08 PM

Remove ceiling rose to fit light

The Missus has bought a new light for the kids bedroom.
It's this one, a Lulea from B&Q.
http://images.productserve.com/previ.../122873599.jpg
and, looking at the instructions, "it will be necessary to
remove any existing ceiling rose to allow clearance for
installation". Now I've done this before, but I still wake
up sweating at some of the bodges I did in my youth.
Can anyone tell me the safest way to connect all the
feeds without the rose and insulate them safely in the
ceiling space?
TIA,

funkyoldcortina March 17th 11 02:48 PM

On 17/03/11 14:08, goodolpete wrote:
The Missus has bought a new light for the kids bedroom.
It's this one, a Lulea from B&Q.
http://images.productserve.com/previ.../122873599.jpg
and, looking at the instructions, "it will be necessary to
remove any existing ceiling rose to allow clearance for
installation". Now I've done this before, but I still wake
up sweating at some of the bodges I did in my youth.
Can anyone tell me the safest way to connect all the
feeds without the rose and insulate them safely in the
ceiling space?

Move the rose to above the ceiling. Fit a pendant rose to the ceiling joist
above then pass just the pendant flex through the ceiling hole to the new
fitting.

The Medway Handyman March 17th 11 06:51 PM

On 17/03/2011 14:08, goodolpete wrote:
The Missus has bought a new light for the kids bedroom.
It's this one, a Lulea from B&Q.
http://images.productserve.com/previ.../122873599.jpg
and, looking at the instructions, "it will be necessary to
remove any existing ceiling rose to allow clearance for
installation". Now I've done this before, but I still wake
up sweating at some of the bodges I did in my youth.
Can anyone tell me the safest way to connect all the
feeds without the rose and insulate them safely in the
ceiling space?
TIA,

Wago 224 Series Lighting Connectors

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ago/index.html

Bloody wonderful things.

ARWadsworth March 17th 11 07:02 PM

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 17/03/2011 14:08, goodolpete wrote:
The Missus has bought a new light for the kids bedroom.
It's this one, a Lulea from B&Q.
http://images.productserve.com/previ.../122873599.jpg
and, looking at the instructions, "it will be necessary to
remove any existing ceiling rose to allow clearance for
installation". Now I've done this before, but I still wake
up sweating at some of the bodges I did in my youth.
Can anyone tell me the safest way to connect all the
feeds without the rose and insulate them safely in the
ceiling space?
TIA,

Wago 224 Series Lighting Connectors

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ago/index.html

Bloody wonderful things.

All very good but the Wago connectors should be enclosed in a plastic box.

--
Adam

Skipweasel[_4_] March 18th 11 09:43 AM

Remove ceiling rose to fit light

In article ,
says...
All very good but the Wago connectors should be enclosed in a plastic box.

Or otherwise suitably enclosed...

Notes
Connectors should be used within a suitable enclosure.
but can be installed in a cavity when installing backless equipment,
such as a domestic style luminaire, ( it is possible for the enclosure
to be formed or completed by the fitting or suitable material considered
to be non-combustible)

www.tlc-
direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Wago/index.html