Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toddler killed by cut off plug

On Mar 16, 10:59*pm, Owain wrote:

I've no idea what did happen.

When one of my kids was a toddler, he picked up an unplugged plug,
the sort of 2 pin, figure-of-8 type thing that goes in the back of
printers and camera chargers. The other end of the cable was plugged
into the 3-pin wall socket. Being a toddler, the 2-pin figure-of-8
type plug was heading for his mouth to be sucked.

I moved 5 yards and aged 20 years in a few milliseconds.

A small oversight, easily done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 10:02*am, Onetap wrote:
On Mar 16, 10:59*pm, Owain wrote:

*When one of my kids was a toddler........

Maybe something similar; a kettle-type power lead, unplugged from the
appliance but the cable left plugged into a wall socket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 11:11*am, Skipweasel
wrote:
When I salvage plugs from old gear (or whole flexes, if it's moulded on)
I either pull the cable out with a sharp tug, or for moulded ones take
the fuse out. For exactly this reason.

My Dad was a hoarder of old cables, still with plugs. These would be
left all over the workbench, mixed in with cables to power drills etc.

He was also incapable of filling a mower etc. and ever putting the cap
back on a can of petrol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 16, 10:59 pm, Owain wrote:

When one of my kids was a toddler........

Maybe something similar; a kettle-type power lead, unplugged from the
appliance but the cable left plugged into a wall socket.

But such plugs don't have "exposed wires" as claimed in the article.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
Onetap wrote:

On Mar 16, 10:59�pm, Owain wrote:

I've no idea what did happen.

When one of my kids was a toddler, he picked up an unplugged plug,
the sort of 2 pin, figure-of-8 type thing that goes in the back of
printers and camera chargers. The other end of the cable was plugged
into the 3-pin wall socket. Being a toddler, the 2-pin figure-of-8
type plug was heading for his mouth to be sucked.

I moved 5 yards and aged 20 years in a few milliseconds.

I had to move as rapidly in a Geneva restaurant once. The door was open
- one of those posh doors hinged at ceiling and floor level, but in such
a way as to leave a gap of a few inches on the hinge edge when open, the
gap shrinking to zero as the door closes. The kid had its hand in the
gap and the door was closing ...

Hmm. It was a southern region train, and the child was me.

Christ it hurt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:42:39 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
I had to move as rapidly in a Geneva restaurant once. The door was open
- one of those posh doors hinged at ceiling and floor level, but in such
a way as to leave a gap of a few inches on the hinge edge when open, the
gap shrinking to zero as the door closes. The kid had its hand in the
gap and the door was closing ...

Exactly the same thing happened to a friend's girl at a hotel here last
year - she saw it coming and tried to get her hand out, but the closing
door still caught the end of one finger in there and tore the entire tip
right off the bone.

Rushed off to hospital immediately, of course, but then the father had to
were still able to reattach it.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim....
writes

On Mar 16, 10:59 pm, Owain wrote:

When one of my kids was a toddler........

Maybe something similar; a kettle-type power lead, unplugged from the
appliance but the cable left plugged into a wall socket.

But such plugs don't have "exposed wires" as claimed in the article.

no, and it's not the sort of thing that an oven would have.
--
Chris French