Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Japanese earthquake - GPS consequences

With the various geographic shifts which have occoured, I wonder if GPS
mapping will need to be tweeked in affected areas?

Shifts of several metres have been reported, and that may be enough to
cause GPS mapping software with 'snap to road' functions to snap to the
wrong road now.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message ...
With the various geographic shifts which have occoured, I wonder if GPS mapping will need to be tweeked in affected areas?

Shifts of several metres have been reported, and that may be enough to cause GPS mapping software with 'snap to road' functions to
snap to the wrong road now.

--
Ron

Yes, someone on the news earlier this week said this was likley, and mentioned a movement of 10 feet IIRC.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 16, 11:06*pm, Ron Lowe wrote:
With the various geographic shifts which have occoured, I wonder if GPS
mapping will need to be tweeked in affected areas?

Shifts of several metres have been reported, and that may be enough to
cause GPS mapping software with 'snap to road' functions to snap to the
wrong road now.

--
Ron

I have been musing on a statement I heard or read that the earth's
orbit has shifted. How much will this effect clocks? Will we need more/
less leap seconds?

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Mar 16, 11:06 pm, Ron Lowe wrote:
With the various geographic shifts which have occoured, I wonder if GPS
mapping will need to be tweeked in affected areas?

Shifts of several metres have been reported, and that may be enough to
cause GPS mapping software with 'snap to road' functions to snap to the
wrong road now.

--
Ron

I have been musing on a statement I heard or read that the earth's
orbit has shifted. How much will this effect clocks? Will we need more/
less leap seconds?

The figure I saw was 1.8 microseconds (that a day is shorter).

So you will need to put your clocks forward 1 second, around 3500 AD/CE.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

With the various geographic shifts which have occoured, I wonder if GPS
mapping will need to be tweeked in affected areas?

Shifts of several metres have been reported, and that may be enough to
cause GPS mapping software with 'snap to road' functions to snap to the
wrong road now.

Yes, someone on the news earlier this week said this was likley, and
mentioned a movement of 10 feet IIRC.

looks out window
It'd need a lot more than 10ft for this to be Ilkley.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message ...
"Graham." gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

With the various geographic shifts which have occoured, I wonder if GPS
mapping will need to be tweeked in affected areas?

Shifts of several metres have been reported, and that may be enough to
cause GPS mapping software with 'snap to road' functions to snap to the
wrong road now.

Yes, someone on the news earlier this week said this was likley, and
mentioned a movement of 10 feet IIRC.

looks out window
It'd need a lot more than 10ft for this to be Ilkley.

It would however affect the more sophisticated units that receive additional
correction information via a geostationary satellite.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%