DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Door opening limiter (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/320228-door-opening-limiter.html)

Moonraker[_2_] March 14th 11 04:09 PM

Door opening limiter

I wish to restrict an internal door from opening into a kitchen unit. I
saw a device installed on a TV program that consisted of 2 blocks one
recessed on the door the other in the jam joined by a chain which
restricted the opening. It looked very neat but a Google has failed me,
all I can find are security devices. All suggestions welcomed.

Richard[_10_] March 14th 11 04:59 PM

Door opening limiter

Moonraker wrote:
I wish to restrict an internal door from opening into a kitchen unit.
I saw a device installed on a TV program that consisted of 2 blocks
one recessed on the door the other in the jam joined by a chain which
restricted the opening. It looked very neat but a Google has failed
me, all I can find are security devices. All suggestions welcomed.

This?
http://www.handles4doors.co.uk/Ironmongery-Door-Fittings/Concealed-Door-Closers/sc642/p15455.aspx

TMC[_2_] March 14th 11 05:04 PM

Door opening limiter

http://www.doorstuff.co.uk/overhead-door-closers.php

Dave Liquorice[_2_] March 14th 11 05:29 PM

Door opening limiter

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:09:45 +0000, Moonraker wrote:

I wish to restrict an internal door from opening into a kitchen unit. I
saw a device installed on a TV program that consisted of 2 blocks one
recessed on the door the other in the jam joined by a chain which
restricted the opening.

I think you'll find that that device is a closer rather than a
restricter. Mounted in the hinge jam the forces excerted by even
gentle pushing on the open edge of the door will be considerable.

Mechanical advantage between a push 32" away from the hinge and 1/2"
away is 64 times...

Door stops are best placed at the outer edge of the door. Block or
rubber stop on the floor is common or a door stop fixed to the
wall/skirting out of the way at high or low
level.

http://www.toolstation.com/documents...earchstr=door+
stop&submit=Go

--