Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default new boiler - need to flush system

OK, new boiler will be fitted - probably vaillant ecotec plus 831.
Anyway, I am aware the life of a boiler is greatly affected by the
cleanliness of the system.
So I need to flush the system.
What are the basics of this - chemicals etc.
Only thing I really have not time for is removing radiators etc.
Cheers,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
OK, new boiler will be fitted - probably vaillant ecotec plus 831.
Anyway, I am aware the life of a boiler is greatly affected by the
cleanliness of the system.
So I need to flush the system.
What are the basics of this - chemicals etc.
Only thing I really have not time for is removing radiators etc.

You should have done it BEFORE you removed the old boiler

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
OK, new boiler will be fitted - probably vaillant ecotec plus 831.
Anyway, I am aware the life of a boiler is greatly affected by the
cleanliness of the system.
So I need to flush the system.
What are the basics of this - chemicals etc.
Only thing I really have not time for is removing radiators etc.

You should have done it BEFORE you removed the old boiler

I think he is asking about what to do before the new boiler is fitted

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 8:38*pm, "tim...." wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
OK, new boiler will be fitted - probably vaillant ecotec plus 831.
Anyway, I am aware the life of a boiler is greatly affected by the
cleanliness of the system.
So I need to flush the system.
What are the basics of this - chemicals etc.
Only thing I really have not time for is removing radiators etc.

You should have done it BEFORE you removed the old boiler

I think he is asking about what to do before the new boiler is fitted

tim

Yep, I believe I said, *will* be fitted.
Old boiler still in place in hobbling along.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 8:28*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
OK, new boiler will be fitted - probably vaillant ecotec plus 831.
Anyway, I am aware the life of a boiler is greatly affected by the
cleanliness of the system.
So I need to flush the system.
What are the basics of this - chemicals etc.
Only thing I really have not time for is removing radiators etc.
Cheers,
Simon.

1) drain system completely
2) add clean water (obv bleeding rads etc) and run for one hour on high heat
3) drain system down again
4) refil with sludge remover ( I use Sentinel, but there are others), run
for a few days
5) drain system with filling loop open, but open and close valves etc on
various rads here and there to force water to take different routes around
the house.
6) refil, adding inhibitor

I've got to drain tomorrow anyway to fit some pipes for a new
radiator, so I can start the process.

Any filters / maganclean etc worth fitting in the hot water circuit
with the new boiler ?
Any filters / water softeners worth fitting in the mains water circuit
through the boiler ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
On Mar 13, 8:38*pm, "tim...." wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
OK, new boiler will be fitted - probably vaillant ecotec plus 831.
Anyway, I am aware the life of a boiler is greatly affected by the
cleanliness of the system.
So I need to flush the system.
What are the basics of this - chemicals etc.
Only thing I really have not time for is removing radiators etc.

You should have done it BEFORE you removed the old boiler

I think he is asking about what to do before the new boiler is fitted

tim

Yep, I believe I said, *will* be fitted.
Old boiler still in place in hobbling along.
Simon.

That's OK then

Flush, refill including sludge remover
run for a week

flush, refill with descaler
run for a week

Useful stuff on e.g. Kamco's site

http://www.kamco.co.uk/

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 8:28 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

So I need to flush the system.

1) drain system completely
2) add clean water (obv bleeding rads etc) and run for one hour on high heat
3) drain system down again
4) refil with sludge remover ( I use Sentinel, but there are others), run
for a few days
5) drain system with filling loop open, but open and close valves etc on
various rads here and there to force water to take different routes around
the house.
6) refil, adding inhibitor

Does anyone know if these 'DIY' flushing techniques are sufficient to
maintain validity of the manufacturer's warranty? Or, to put it
another way, does the absence of proof of a powerflush (or similar to
BS 7593) matter?

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Mathew Newton writes
On Mar 13, 8:28 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

So I need to flush the system.

1) drain system completely
2) add clean water (obv bleeding rads etc) and run for one hour on high heat
3) drain system down again
4) refil with sludge remover ( I use Sentinel, but there are others), run
for a few days
5) drain system with filling loop open, but open and close valves etc on
various rads here and there to force water to take different routes around
the house.
6) refil, adding inhibitor

Does anyone know if these 'DIY' flushing techniques are sufficient to
maintain validity of the manufacturer's warranty? Or, to put it
another way, does the absence of proof of a powerflush (or similar to
BS 7593) matter?

Read the small print

I hate to say it, but you might find you need a powerflush, although
whether this would stand up in court ...

dunno

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
On Mar 13, 8:38 pm, "tim...." wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
OK, new boiler will be fitted - probably vaillant ecotec plus 831.
Anyway, I am aware the life of a boiler is greatly affected by the
cleanliness of the system.
So I need to flush the system.
What are the basics of this - chemicals etc.
Only thing I really have not time for is removing radiators etc.

You should have done it BEFORE you removed the old boiler

I think he is asking about what to do before the new boiler is fitted

tim

Yep, I believe I said, *will* be fitted.
Old boiler still in place in hobbling along.
Simon.

That's OK then

Flush, refill including sludge remover
run for a week

flush, refill with descaler
run for a week

Useful stuff on e.g. Kamco's site

http://www.kamco.co.uk/

How often should you do this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, brass
monkey writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
On Mar 13, 8:38 pm, "tim...." wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
[...]

Twice a day

three at weekends

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message om, brass
monkey writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
On Mar 13, 8:38 pm, "tim...." wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
[...]

Cheers Geoff.

power flush of CH system Tom[_4_] UK diy 1 October 17th 09 10:13 PM
Toilet flush handle to flush unit connection - What's the secret? Jonathan Telfer UK diy 2 August 6th 06 10:28 PM
power flush system frank Home Repair 2 February 11th 06 01:28 AM
Best way to clean and flush a combi central heating system? [email protected] UK diy 1 February 8th 05 09:23 AM
Boiler install: de-sludge vs power flush? Jonathan UK diy 3 September 14th 04 10:34 AM