Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD

Changing some light fittings today, MCB for circuit turned off. RCD
tripped when I cut a (not live) cable (all three cores).

Similar thing happened in a different property about a year ago. Both
reset OK.

AIUI an RCD compares current @ L & N and trips if there is any difference.

Why would it trip when the circuit being worked on is disconnected?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's a normal occurance. The MCB only isolates the live wire. If
there are any devices switched on on any other circuit, there will be
a current flowing through N causing a voltage drop due to the (small)
resistance of the N wiring. When you cut the cable, you connected N
and earth, creating another path. Current will now flow from L through
the appliance to N, then through your cutters into the earth wire,
then to a point where earth and N are bonded (present in any earthing
system) bypassing the RCD. The RCD registers less current in N than in
L and trips. The only remedy would be to disconnect N as well as L on
the circuit being worked on.

Wolf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave - I'm surprised at you working on a circuit, only isolated by the
MCB - that is NOT ok, and you should know better.

Neutral and earth often have a slight difference in voltage. You
shorted neutral to earth, some current flowed - so the RCD tripped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Changing some light fittings today, MCB for circuit turned off. RCD
tripped when I cut a (not live) cable (all three cores).

Similar thing happened in a different property about a year ago. Both
reset OK.

AIUI an RCD compares current @ L & N and trips if there is any difference.

Why would it trip when the circuit being worked on is disconnected?

Neutral leakage from another circuit, through you/your pliers to earth.
There'll be 4 or 5 other circuits (probably) on the same RCD. All you
have done when turning off the MCB is break the live on the circuit you
are working on. The Neutral will still be 'live', by being connected to
the other 4 circuits neutral bar.
The RCD is 'measuring' in/out the current going through, you make a
short between earth and neutral, and it is an easier path for all the
neutrals to take, rather than going back to the sub-station 100's of
metres away. Hence there will be less current coming back than going in,
so it trips.
Also, if you dont know the house you are working on, then there is
always the chance of a shared neutral on the lighting circuits, so even
if you have turned off the MCB, it could still be live (though unlikely
on a RCD protected CU).

After doing a lot of training in the last year, I now make sure the
circuit is completely dead before doing any work on the circuit - you
cannot always rely on a RCD to trip to save you.
In future, I'd tell the customer that you have to turn off the power
when doing the work - far safer.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:28:59 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Changing some light fittings today, MCB for circuit turned off. RCD
tripped when I cut a (not live) cable (all three cores).

Similar thing happened in a different property about a year ago. Both
reset OK.

AIUI an RCD compares current @ L & N and trips if there is any difference.

Why would it trip when the circuit being worked on is disconnected?

See back posts on residual current.

Try and find out the voltage involved. It may be quite high but have
little ampage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Changing some light fittings today, MCB for circuit turned off. RCD
tripped when I cut a (not live) cable (all three cores).

Similar thing happened in a different property about a year ago. Both
reset OK.

AIUI an RCD compares current @ L & N and trips if there is any difference.

Why would it trip when the circuit being worked on is disconnected?

Because a domestic circuit breaker only cuts the Live.

The Neutral remains connected, to the circuit in not fully isolated.

You created a E-N fault, and that tripped the breaker.

To avoid this, disconnect the N from the bus-bas also.
( or nibble the snip carefully and don't cause the E-N fault! )

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try and find out the voltage involved. It may be quite high but have
little ampage.

Other way round!

A few volts maximum, even in large commercial buildings.

But in those settings a lot of current may flow if neutral and earth
are shorted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 10/03/2011 20:47, wrote:
On Mar 10, 8:28 pm, The Medway
wrote:
Changing some light fittings today, MCB for circuit turned off. RCD
tripped when I cut a (not live) cable (all three cores).

Dave - I'm surprised at you working on a circuit, only isolated by the
MCB - that is NOT ok, and you should know better.

I always check with a volt stick before & after switching off the MCB or
removing the fuse.

That'll show you if there is a direct live on the circuit at that time.
It wont show you if anything else is on that side of the RCD. When
something else is turned on, you have the potential to get a shock from
the neutral, as the neutral is connected to all the other circuits.

Whats the alternative to switching off the MCB?
Main switch

Yes. or the RCD on that circuit.Much preferable to turn off the main
switch, no chance of any cross-joined circuits then[1], so you know
everything is safe (of course, you check it is safe before starting).
Also, if there is someone else in the house, put a lock on the main
switch so it cannot be turned on while you are working. They are only £3
or so.

[1] it is possible that someone has taken a feed off one circuit, then
joined it to another unknowingly in the past, so you turn off one of the
2 RCDs thinking it is now safe, when there is a cross-connection
somewhere, meaning the circuit is still live.
On one of the elec forums last week someone came across a live circuit
when the CU at been turned off at the main switch - it turned out the
tenants of a flat had run a cable from an adjacent flat to use their
electric to reduce their own bill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whats the alternative to switching off the MCB?

Main switch

See - you knew the answer all along.

In some non-domestic settings, a lot of current can flow by shorting
neutral and earth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2011 22:15, ARWadsworth wrote:

Dave - I'm surprised at you working on a circuit, only isolated by the
MCB - that is NOT ok, and you should know better.

That is a bit overkill.

The ring needs to be disconnected and grounded at both ends, and the
cable spiked with a big nail before it's considered safe :-)