Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing black mould from tile grout - my test results.

I have a horrendous bathroom to sort out, the ceiling and tile grout
are black with mould, I won't go into the cause.
Having searched this group for the best way to clean the mould off of
the tile grout I decided to buy a few products and try them. This is
what I found:
HG mould spray £4.99 for 500ml was as good as Cillit Bang £3.39 for
750ml but not as good as Astonish mould/mildew remover £1.49 for
750ml.
But none of them were as good as the old bottle of thick bleach I had
under the kitchen sink.
I hope this saves someone a few quid in the future.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rednadnerb" wrote in message
I have a horrendous bathroom to sort out, the ceiling and tile grout
are black with mould, I won't go into the cause.
Having searched this group for the best way to clean the mould off of
the tile grout I decided to buy a few products and try them. This is
what I found:
HG mould spray £4.99 for 500ml was as good as Cillit Bang £3.39 for
750ml but not as good as Astonish mould/mildew remover £1.49 for
750ml.
But none of them were as good as the old bottle of thick bleach I had
under the kitchen sink.
I hope this saves someone a few quid in the future.

I also have come to the conclusion of using bleach.
I use the `thin` bleach watered down and spray every couple of weeks say an
hour before I use the shower.
Then when showering it rinses it off .

Works for me to keep it clean. Only took me 25 years to suss it out. :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Because that is what most mould removers are made of.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2011 23:08, SS wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Useful information, thanks!

Whilst on the subject of showers, I can't seem to clean the glass panels
on my shower adequately. Whatever I try, I can't get all the deposits
from hard water off - so clear glass looks somewhat non-uniformly frosted.

Any recommendation?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 11:35 am, Roger Mills wrote:
On 09/03/2011 23:08, SS wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

rather a suggestion to stop it recurring :- anyone tried "Rain X" as
sold for car (originally airplane?) windows?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2011 23:08, SS wrote:

*wrote in message
[...]

Toilet limescale remover works a treat for us, but you need to keep it
away from any chromed, etc., parts. Once clean you could try a daily
use shower cleaner after every shower. We just let it build up and
blirz it occasionally.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2011 23:08, SS wrote:

*wrote in message
[...]

I have a set of microfibre cloths, you use one wet to wipe the glass
and the other to polish, works in a second like a dream without
chemicals. I expect you could get them from somewhere like lakeland
(sorry can't remember where mine came from). We have holidays lets and
the are invaluable for getting the place looking good.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2011 23:08, SS wrote:
*wrote in message

[...]

Acid. Almost any sort, almost any strength will work.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Acid

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2011 18:37, Tabby wrote:
On Mar 10, 11:35 am, Roger wrote:

Whilst on the subject of showers, I can't seem to clean the glass panels
on my shower adequately. Whatever I try, I can't get all the deposits
from hard water off - so clear glass looks somewhat non-uniformly frosted.

Any recommendation?

Acid. Almost any sort, almost any strength will work.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Acid

NT

But how do you keep it in contact with a vertical surface for long
enough to react - gravity being gravity, and all that?
--
Cheers,
Roger