Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to soften plastic strip

I have a plastic strip, its a seal between a sliding shower door.
I took it off to clean but cant get it back on as it has lost its
flexability.
Only other way is dismantling door which I dont want to do.

The strip has a couple of ridges that slide into a groove to keep it in
place.

Any ideas on how to soften the plastic? I have tried hot water and also
lubricating it to no avail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 10:24*am, "SS" wrote:

Any ideas on how to soften the plastic? I have tried hot water and also
lubricating it to no avail.

Hair dryer?

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Mathew Newton writes
On Mar 6, 10:24*am, "SS" wrote:

Any ideas on how to soften the plastic? I have tried hot water and also
lubricating it to no avail.

Hair dryer?

I was thinking 'hot air gun', used carefully, at a distance, with (if
necessary) something to deflect the heat from whatever is behind the
plastic.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message
, Mathew
Newton writes
On Mar 6, 10:24 am, "SS" wrote:

Any ideas on how to soften the plastic? I have tried hot water and also
lubricating it to no avail.

Hair dryer?

I was thinking 'hot air gun', used carefully, at a distance, with (if
necessary) something to deflect the heat from whatever is behind the
plastic.
--
Ian

Very hot water (i.e. near boiling point) should work, and be safer for the
plastic if not for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 1:24*pm, Ian Jackson
wrote:

Hair dryer?

I was thinking 'hot air gun', used carefully, at a distance, with (if
necessary) something to deflect the heat from whatever is behind the
plastic.

I'd be inclined to move up to that only if necessary... too much scope
for overdoing things I would've thought! I suppose it depends on the
type of plastic but I've had success with a hair dryer on the type
used for UPVC double glazing - indeed the first time I almost overdid
it as I didn't realise it was going to be so effective!

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 6:11*pm, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Mar 6, 1:24*pm, Ian Jackson

wrote:
Hair dryer?

I was thinking 'hot air gun', used carefully, at a distance, with (if
necessary) something to deflect the heat from whatever is behind the
plastic.

I'd be inclined to move up to that only if necessary... too much scope
for overdoing things I would've thought! I suppose it depends on the
type of plastic but I've had success with a hair dryer on the type
used for UPVC double glazing - indeed the first time I almost overdid
it as I didn't realise it was going to be so effective!

Mathew

Have you tried lubricating with washing up liquid?

One of the best tools for all sorts of applications is a hot air gun
with a variable heat output. I'm always diving under the bench to get
it out - everything from bee-keeping, melting hot glue wax, drying out
metalwork before painting, and finally paint stripping.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yes I have tried lubricating it didnt help.

Thanks for all the tips guys I am going to try the hairdryer later today and
see how it goes.

thanks