Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default filling a crack, how to

On plasterboard wall I have a hairline crack (settling)
I scraped it out to form a channel roughly 4mm wide and 3 mm deep (about 2
feet long)
I filled with filler but have noticed after a couple of days the edges are
showing a hairline (presumably) shrinkage crack.
Should I just go over this with some more filler and then smooth or better
to get a flexi filler, or something else.

I just used a cheap filler I aready had.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 10:19*am, "SS" wrote:

On plasterboard wall I have a hairline crack (settling)
I scraped it out to form a channel roughly 4mm wide and 3 mm deep (about 2
feet long)
I filled with filler but have noticed after a couple of days the edges are
showing a hairline (presumably) shrinkage crack.
Should I just go over this with some more filler and then smooth or better
to get a flexi filler, or something else.

I just used a cheap filler I aready had.

Sounds like you're back to square one. Brush a little water onto it,
just so its a bit damp, mix up a little filler, and wipe it along the
crack with a finger, pressing to get it flat. Job done. Enlarging a
crack only makes it worse.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tabby" wrote in message
On Mar 6, 10:19 am, "SS" wrote:

On plasterboard wall I have a hairline crack (settling)
I scraped it out to form a channel roughly 4mm wide and 3 mm deep (about 2
feet long)
I filled with filler but have noticed after a couple of days the edges are
showing a hairline (presumably) shrinkage crack.
Should I just go over this with some more filler and then smooth or better
to get a flexi filler, or something else.

I just used a cheap filler I aready had.

Sounds like you're back to square one. Brush a little water onto it,
just so its a bit damp, mix up a little filler, and wipe it along the
crack with a finger, pressing to get it flat. Job done. Enlarging a
crack only makes it worse.

NT

I've had success in the past by mixing Unibond (PVA adhesive) with filler
(or cement), or, coat crack surface with PVA prior to using filler.

dfrog

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
On plasterboard wall I have a hairline crack (settling)
I scraped it out to form a channel roughly 4mm wide and 3 mm deep (about 2
feet long)
I filled with filler but have noticed after a couple of days the edges are
showing a hairline (presumably) shrinkage crack.
Should I just go over this with some more filler and then smooth or better
to get a flexi filler, or something else.

I just used a cheap filler I aready had.

you probably need to scrape plaster off, apply scrim, and replaster over.

Unless its a 90 degree joint, when decorators caulk may be a better bet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dfrog wrote:
"Tabby" wrote in message
On Mar 6, 10:19 am, "SS" wrote:

On plasterboard wall I have a hairline crack (settling)
I scraped it out to form a channel roughly 4mm wide and 3 mm deep (about 2
feet long)
I filled with filler but have noticed after a couple of days the edges are
showing a hairline (presumably) shrinkage crack.
Should I just go over this with some more filler and then smooth or better
to get a flexi filler, or something else.

I just used a cheap filler I aready had.

Sounds like you're back to square one. Brush a little water onto it,
just so its a bit damp, mix up a little filler, and wipe it along the
crack with a finger, pressing to get it flat. Job done. Enlarging a
crack only makes it worse.

NT

I've had success in the past by mixing Unibond (PVA adhesive) with filler
(or cement), or, coat crack surface with PVA prior to using filler.

That does work to bond the plaster together its true, but can lead to
discolouration when painted. Or rather visible changes in surface texture.

And the risk it will crack again in a slightly different place.

dfrog

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
SS wrote:
On plasterboard wall I have a hairline crack (settling) I scraped it out
to form a channel roughly 4mm wide and 3 mm deep (about 2 feet long) I
filled with filler but have noticed after a couple of days the edges are
showing a hairline (presumably) shrinkage crack. Should I just go over
this with some more filler and then smooth or better to get a flexi
filler, or something else.

I just used a cheap filler I aready had.

Most powder fillers I've tried just crack soon afterwards. A decent
decorator's caulk is flexible and doesn't crack. But it shrinks. You'll
need several applications to get a good result.

If there's an easier way I'd love to hear it.

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
SS wrote:
On plasterboard wall I have a hairline crack (settling) I scraped it out
to form a channel roughly 4mm wide and 3 mm deep (about 2 feet long) I
filled with filler but have noticed after a couple of days the edges are
showing a hairline (presumably) shrinkage crack. Should I just go over
this with some more filler and then smooth or better to get a flexi
filler, or something else.

I just used a cheap filler I aready had.

Most powder fillers I've tried just crack soon afterwards. A decent
decorator's caulk is flexible and doesn't crack. But it shrinks. You'll
need several applications to get a good result.

If there's an easier way I'd love to hear it.

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Yip redone it twice and tried a couple of options and still getting the
hairline from shrinkage.

Will buy a tube of caulk. I assume I should scrape it out and then refill
with caulk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
SS wrote:
Most powder fillers I've tried just crack soon afterwards. A decent
decorator's caulk is flexible and doesn't crack. But it shrinks. You'll
need several applications to get a good result.

If there's an easier way I'd love to hear it.

Yip redone it twice and tried a couple of options and still getting the
hairline from shrinkage.

Will buy a tube of caulk. I assume I should scrape it out and then
refill with caulk.

Yes. If you apply it in thin coats it dries very quickly. But be prepared
to use maybe half a dozen coats.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.