Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vertical row of sockets - any ideas, suppliers?

I (well my daughter actually) wants to have a vertical row of sockets
in a corner against a vertical panel. I'm sure I've seen such things
but I can't find any at the moment.

Can anyone point me at anything suitable?

We want either three or four sockets in a vertical row, probably
surface mounted, it may well make sense for the sockets to be angled
so that the cables don't interfere with the plug below. A 'trailing
lead' type of row of sockets might well do, I'm quite happy to wire it
up to an FCU to allow it to be permanently connected.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 9:24*am, wrote:
I (well my daughter actually) wants to have a vertical row of sockets
in a corner against a vertical panel. *I'm sure I've seen such things
but I can't find any at the moment.

Can anyone point me at anything suitable?

We want either three or four sockets in a vertical row, probably
surface mounted, it may well make sense for the sockets to be angled
so that the cables don't interfere with the plug below. *A 'trailing
lead' type of row of sockets might well do, I'm quite happy to wire it
up to an FCU to allow it to be permanently connected.

--
Chris Green

You thinking of something like this?
http://www.olson.co.uk/left_right_cables.htm

--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

docholliday wrote:
On Mar 4, 9:24Â*am, wrote:
I (well my daughter actually) wants to have a vertical row of sockets
in a corner against a vertical panel. Â*I'm sure I've seen such things
but I can't find any at the moment.

Can anyone point me at anything suitable?

We want either three or four sockets in a vertical row, probably
surface mounted, it may well make sense for the sockets to be angled
so that the cables don't interfere with the plug below. Â*A 'trailing
lead' type of row of sockets might well do, I'm quite happy to wire it
up to an FCU to allow it to be permanently connected.

--
Chris Green

You thinking of something like this?
http://www.olson.co.uk/left_right_cables.htm

Yes, though we'd like something slightly less utilitarian if possible,
and without a meter built in as the above appear to have.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 2:44*pm, wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/03/2011 09:24, wrote:
I (well my daughter actually) wants to have a vertical row of sockets
in a corner against a vertical panel. *I'm sure I've seen such things
but I can't find any at the moment.

Can anyone point me at anything suitable?

We want either three or four sockets in a vertical row, probably
surface mounted, it may well make sense for the sockets to be angled
so that the cables don't interfere with the plug below. *A 'trailing
lead' type of row of sockets might well do, I'm quite happy to wire it
up to an FCU to allow it to be permanently connected.

What's wrong with a 4-way extension lead, stood on end? Or does that
require too much lateral thinking? g

It's almost what we want except that the sockets would be sideways.

You can't have them not be sideways, the flex would foul the plug
below, unless you space the sockets far apart. If you want to have
them like this, with spacings, just use a vertical row of single
surface pattresses, with every other one being a blanking plate, so 4
sockets, 3 blanks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:
On Mar 4, 2:44Â*pm, wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/03/2011 09:24, wrote:
[...]

This is exactly why I said (see above) "... it may well make sense for
the sockets to be angled so that the cables don't interfere with the
plug below." The 19" rack socket strips that some posters have
suggested do exactly this, the sockets are angled at 45 degrees.

So, what I really want, is a 3-way or 4-way socket trailing socket
strip with the sockets angled at (about) 45 degrees.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby ) wibbled on Friday 04 March 2011 15:03:

On Mar 4, 2:44 pm, wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/03/2011 09:24, wrote:
[...]

Well, you can have them at 45 degree like I said earlier...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

) wibbled on Friday 04 March 2011
15:46:

Tabby wrote:
On Mar 4, 2:44 pm, wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/03/2011 09:24, wrote:
[...]

Try RS, Farnell and Rapid - sure I have seen some lab grade bars (not for
rac mounting) that have 45 degree sockets - and availble with 3-4 ways.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...
Can anyone point me at anything suitable?

If you don't like the rather industrial look of what's generally
available, build your own with these...
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/0847455.html
You could fit them into almost any sheet material that goes with the
decor and safely box to make good.

Mount them at 45° all the same way or alternately, whatever takes your
fancy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Skipweasel wrote:
In article , says...
Can anyone point me at anything suitable?

If you don't like the rather industrial look of what's generally
available, build your own with these...
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/0847455.html
You could fit them into almost any sheet material that goes with the
decor and safely box to make good.

Mount them at 45° all the same way or alternately, whatever takes your
fancy.

Now that's almost better than our original idea! :-)

I could actually mount the outlets into the side of the cupboard that
makes up one angle of the corner where we want these sockets. It's
easy enough to make a box inside the cupboard to cover the wiring and
Bob's your proverbial.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says...
Can anyone point me at anything suitable?

If you don't like the rather industrial look of what's generally
available, build your own with these...
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/0847455.html
You could fit them into almost any sheet material that goes with the
decor and safely box to make good.

Mount them at 45° all the same way or alternately, whatever takes your
fancy.

Now that's almost better than our original idea! :-)

I could actually mount the outlets into the side of the cupboard that
makes up one angle of the corner where we want these sockets. It's
easy enough to make a box inside the cupboard to cover the wiring and
Bob's your proverbial.

Note the max panel tickness (2.5mm for that one), or you won't be
able to push plugs right in. They are intended for mounting on
steel trunking and the like.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 3:46*pm, wrote:
Tabby wrote:
On Mar 4, 2:44*pm, wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/03/2011 09:24, wrote:
[...]

they do exist, think it was either screwfix or tesco I last saw some

NT