Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default combi boiler pressure dropped

gone bitter today (2C) so heating was up, and I started feeling
chilly. Rads were cold but stat was up. Checked boiler (in case timer
was out) and discovered pressure was 0. I opened the valve and put it
up to 1.5bar - everythings working fine now.

Presumably to lose that much pressure quickly implies a leak ? I have
looked at all joins, and connections in to rads and boiler and
everything seems dry ... could there be an internal boiler fault ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2011 12:45, Jethro wrote:
gone bitter today (2C) so heating was up, and I started feeling
chilly. Rads were cold but stat was up. Checked boiler (in case timer
was out) and discovered pressure was 0. I opened the valve and put it
up to 1.5bar - everythings working fine now.

Presumably to lose that much pressure quickly implies a leak ? I have
looked at all joins, and connections in to rads and boiler and
everything seems dry ... could there be an internal boiler fault ?

most likey is the pressure relief valve leaking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 1:37*pm, Chris Bartram
wrote:
On 01/03/2011 12:45, Jethro wrote: gone bitter today (2C) so heating was up, and I started feeling
chilly. Rads were cold but stat was up. Checked boiler (in case timer
was out) and discovered pressure was 0. I opened the valve and put it
up to 1.5bar - everythings working fine now.

Presumably to lose that much pressure quickly implies a leak ? *I have
looked at all joins, and connections in to rads and boiler and
everything seems dry ... could there be an internal boiler fault ?

most likey is the pressure relief valve leaking.

ah .. serious ? Big job ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
On Mar 1, 1:37 pm, Chris Bartram
wrote:
On 01/03/2011 12:45, Jethro wrote: gone bitter today (2C) so
heating was up, and I started feeling
chilly. Rads were cold but stat was up. Checked boiler (in case
timer was out) and discovered pressure was 0. I opened the valve
and put it up to 1.5bar - everythings working fine now.

Presumably to lose that much pressure quickly implies a leak ? I
have looked at all joins, and connections in to rads and boiler and
everything seems dry ... could there be an internal boiler fault ?

most likey is the pressure relief valve leaking.

ah .. serious ? Big job ?

First of all tie a plastic bag over the blow off pipe with a rubberband to
see if that is where the water is been lost. Water lost through the pipe
could be due to either the pressure release valve or the expansion vessel.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 12:45*pm, Jethro wrote:
gone bitter today (2C) so heating was up, and I started feeling
chilly. Rads were cold but stat was up. Checked boiler (in case timer
was out) and discovered pressure was 0. I opened the valve and put it
up to 1.5bar - everythings working fine now.

Presumably to lose that much pressure quickly implies a leak ? *I have
looked at all joins, and connections in to rads and boiler and
everything seems dry ... could there be an internal boiler fault ?

Thanks to all for the replies ... I located the pipe which goes
outside, but no leak. Then pressure stayed up all week, so I was a bit
puzzled. Then, this morning pressure had dropped to 0 ... and there
was a leak from the fill/drain valve into the rad circuit. It took a
complete 360 turn - leak stopped.

On the basis I have never touched that valve, which was fitted in
2002, along with the boiler, and there was no leak there in December,
when I moved the washing machine (which did *not* touch or knock the
valve, which is about 12" above the washing machine) I am wondering if
the guy who serviced the boiler in January (as part of our Homeserve
package) could have done something ....

Oh well, panic over.