Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default portable FM radio direct mains

Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.
Cheers,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson :
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.

I don't know what you call cheapish. I have one of these, which meets
the specification and costs £34.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-R992.../dp/B0000C77TE

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 11:03*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.
Cheers,
Simon.

Any old (used) radio shuold do this

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.
Cheers,
Simon.

Ask for one on your local recycle group. Someone is bound to have one they
don't use.
Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2011 23:03, sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.
Cheers,
Simon.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BA7090.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 9:36*am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 26/02/2011 23:03, sm_jamieson wrote:

Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.
Cheers,
Simon.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BA7090.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I like it.
I could hire a labourer to crank the handled in between mixing up and
polishing my boots !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2011 23:03, sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.
Cheers,
Simon.

If you're going with the Alba jobbie for £9 which someone suggested, it
probably doesn't matter - but if you're spending more than that, it
might be an idea to 'future proof' it by getting one with DAB. Having
said that, FM should be around for a few years yet.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
On 26/02/2011 23:03, sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.
Cheers,
Simon.

If you're going with the Alba jobbie for £9 which someone suggested, it
probably doesn't matter - but if you're spending more than that, it
might be an idea to 'future proof' it by getting one with DAB. Having
said that, FM should be around for a few years yet.

And can do DAB+ which may well be the standard in the future for DAB.
I don't see FM ever being turned off. We still have LW and MW AM 50 odd
years after FM was introduced.

--
*No I haven't stolen it , I'm just a **** driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 14:13:35 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

... but if you're spending more than that, it might be an idea to
'future proof' it by getting one with DAB. Having said that, FM should
be around for a few years yet.

Depends entirely what you listen to. If the FM national stations (BBC
Radios 1 - 4, Classic FM (are there any others?)) then yes getting
DAB might be wise but if local radio or the non-national commercial
stations then they will remain on FM.

TBH in the present financial climate I wouldn't be surprised if the
FM national stations switch to being DAB only services gets quietly
put on a back burner or dropped entirely.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 26/02/2011 23:03, sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.
Cheers,
Simon.

If you're going with the Alba jobbie for £9 which someone suggested, it
probably doesn't matter - but if you're spending more than that, it
might be an idea to 'future proof' it by getting one with DAB. Having
said that, FM should be around for a few years yet.

OTOH, the Alba is a LW/MW/FM set and if like me, he only ever listens
to Radio 4, when FM falls over, the Long Wave will still be there.
Hope he likes Yesterday in Parliament, The Daily Service and Test
Match Special, though.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Mills
scribeth thus
On 26/02/2011 23:03, sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.
Cheers,
Simon.

If you're going with the Alba jobbie for £9 which someone suggested, it
probably doesn't matter - but if you're spending more than that, it
might be an idea to 'future proof' it by getting one with DAB.

Umm.. if your possibly running that off batteries I's stick to FM!..

Having
said that, FM should be around for a few years yet.

A long time .. the fM switch off date has now been scrapped..

Well sort of;!..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...safe-minister-
promises?intcmp=239
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 18:24:19 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

A long time .. the fM switch off date has now been scrapped..

Well sort of;!..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...safe-minister-
promises?intcmp=239

Beware the weasel words:

"We do not intend to switch off FM. FM will be available to local
listeners as long as is necessary," he said." [Vaizey]

Important words "local listeners"

"Vaizey added that the process would not begin until more than 50% of
the country listens to radio on the digital platform, "or in other
words when analogue listening is in the minority", a proposal first
set out by Labour in last year's Digital Britain report."

I note that it says "the digital platfrom" but does not specify what
that platfrom is. It could be assumed to be DAB only but that would
be a bad assumption, IIRC from the Digital Britain report it means
*any* form of digital, so podcasts, live internet streaming, listen
again etc all count to the 50% figure. This is very wrong IMHO, I
can't get streaming internet or listen again in the car, I can get FM
almost everywhere I go. Current DAB coverage is very patchy to
non-existant.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
[...]

Its hardly been that successful anyway, certainly not taken off like
ipads and DVD's etc.

The few people I know who have bought them have them for better
reception of Radio 5 live!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

The few people I know who have bought them have them for better
reception of Radio 5 live!...

for that, we have the Internet..and computahs:-)

DVB dongle, TV aerial and radio5 live (sports extra) is there on tap at
remarkable quality.

Or just stream it over the net.

In short most radio is available wherever an internet signal or digital
TV exists.

I am not sure why we have DAB at all since a radio that simply used the
TV signal would be just as good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news
In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus

I note that it says "the digital platfrom" but does not specify what
that platfrom is. It could be assumed to be DAB only but that would
be a bad assumption, IIRC from the Digital Britain report it means
*any* form of digital, so podcasts, live internet streaming, listen
again etc all count to the 50% figure. This is very wrong IMHO, I
can't get streaming internet or listen again in the car, I can get FM
almost everywhere I go. Current DAB coverage is very patchy to
non-existant.

Its hardly been that successful anyway, certainly not taken off like
ipads and DVD's etc.

The few people I know who have bought them have them for better
reception of Radio 5 live!...

I got a DAB set solely to listen to LBC (a London station, while I live 200
miles away).

Otherwise there's little to listen to in evenings and weekends (when there
is usually a choice of football, or Gardener's Question Time).

(It's a mains clock-radio, but I have used it in the car with an inverter,
and the aerial wrapped around the rear-view mirror.)

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.

Anyone younger than 20 would just use their mobile phone!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 14:33:01 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.

Anyone younger than 20 would just use their mobile phone!

Why, is dial-a-disc still going?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember sm_jamieson
saying something like:

Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?

Have a look in CPC's special offers. I bought a couple of mains/battery
trannies for just this use for a fiver each.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 26, 11:03*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input
directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall
wart ?
I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external power
pack are a right pain.
Cheers,
Simon.

Guys,