Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mira shower handset repair

I need to repair a Mira shower spray handset if possible - looks like this:
http://tinyurl.com/66zwhrq
(or
http://www.splashdirect.com/Brands/Mira/Shower-Heads/b1343/sc1527/p9172popup362.aspx)

It's got water pouring out one edge - probably a duff O-ring - does
anybody know whether you can get inside the beasts to fix? I can get
the rotating circular piece off the outside but any more looks tricky.

Reasonably posh handset and in ohterwise excellent nick so would rather
avoid binning it

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
I need to repair a Mira shower spray handset if possible - looks like this:
http://tinyurl.com/66zwhrq
(or
http://www.splashdirect.com/Brands/Mira/Shower-Heads/b1343/sc1527/p9172popup362.aspx)

It's got water pouring out one edge - probably a duff O-ring - does
anybody know whether you can get inside the beasts to fix? I can get
the rotating circular piece off the outside but any more looks tricky.

Reasonably posh handset and in ohterwise excellent nick so would rather
avoid binning it

Dont even try. I've had three of them and on mains pressure they blow
the O-ring in about 5 seconds flat.

Not fit for purpose.

Gave up and fitted a cheapo.

Other showers have old fashioned retro metal heads with no fancy
adjustment and work fine. I vary the spray using the taps.

Those things are designed to get the best out of a crap shower with
limited water and bugger all pressure.

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 19:22, Lobster wrote:
I need to repair a Mira shower spray handset if possible - looks like this:
http://tinyurl.com/66zwhrq
(or
http://www.splashdirect.com/Brands/Mira/Shower-Heads/b1343/sc1527/p9172popup362.aspx)

It's got water pouring out one edge - probably a duff O-ring - does
anybody know whether you can get inside the beasts to fix? I can get
the rotating circular piece off the outside but any more looks tricky.

After removing the outer ring just unscrew the main plate in an
anti-clockwise direction. It will feel quite stiff but should move.

Reasonably posh handset and in ohterwise excellent nick so would rather
avoid binning it

There are 4 O-rings inside separating the concentric flow areas - that's
why it's quite stiff to unscrew. It's possible that one of them might
have split but when mine developed the same problem it was due to a
small split in the plastic body and I had to replace the whole thing.

Spare O-rings should be available from Mira (part no.41137). Google came
up with a place selling a set for about £3 but wanted £12.50 delivery
which comes out nearly as much as a new handset. You might find a better
deal on Ebay.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
I need to repair a Mira shower spray handset if possible - looks like this:
http://tinyurl.com/66zwhrq
(or
http://www.splashdirect.com/Brands/Mira/Shower-Heads/b1343/sc1527/p9172popup362.aspx)

It's got water pouring out one edge - probably a duff O-ring - does
anybody know whether you can get inside the beasts to fix? I can get the
rotating circular piece off the outside but any more looks tricky.

Reasonably posh handset and in ohterwise excellent nick so would rather
avoid binning it

Thanks
David

Mira are fairly good.
I made mine last nearly 20 years at mains pressure with the help of the very
nice, and knowledgeable, lady who answered the phone at Mira. This was about
once every 5 years and always, luckily, the same lady.

If you can get it apart, they can supply you the spares needed. Then you can
fix it.
Go with what Mike says.
TNP I think may be mistaken in his generalisations.
HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-02-25, Lobster wrote:
I need to repair a Mira shower spray handset if possible - looks like this:
http://tinyurl.com/66zwhrq
(or
http://www.splashdirect.com/Brands/Mira/Shower-Heads/b1343/sc1527/p9172popup362.aspx)

It's got water pouring out one edge - probably a duff O-ring - does
anybody know whether you can get inside the beasts to fix? I can get
the rotating circular piece off the outside but any more looks tricky.

Others have said how to get it apart. If it's an O-ring,
you're OK, but there are boot-seals farther inside the works
that have perished in the one I have. I tried Mira for
replacements and got this response:

Thank you for your recent email. Although the 'O' seals
that fit to the inside of the sprayplate are available as
spares, parts housed beneath the flow divertor -
including the boot seals you seek - are not. Everything
beneath the flow divertor is factory-set and cannot be
reassembled by hand, hence why the components you seek
are not made available as spares. As such you will have
to replace the shower head on this occasion.

which didn't please me...

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 21:53, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 25/02/2011 19:22, Lobster wrote:
I need to repair a Mira shower spray handset if possible - looks like
this:
http://tinyurl.com/66zwhrq
(or
http://www.splashdirect.com/Brands/Mira/Shower-Heads/b1343/sc1527/p9172popup362.aspx)

It's got water pouring out one edge - probably a duff O-ring - does
anybody know whether you can get inside the beasts to fix? I can get
the rotating circular piece off the outside but any more looks tricky.

After removing the outer ring just unscrew the main plate in an
anti-clockwise direction. It will feel quite stiff but should move.

Reasonably posh handset and in ohterwise excellent nick so would rather
avoid binning it

I think the bin beckons! but as you seem to have experience of this
shower head - does it definitely come apart as described above? I'm
rotating anti-clockwise as directed, and it's indeed pretty stiff (I can
hear/feel a protesting squeaky rubber seal inside) but it just keeps
turning. I'd assume it's undismantlable as others suggest, except that
your experience sounds otherwise?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2011 13:04, Lobster wrote:

Many thanks for the further input. Looking closely at the shower head
and your manual, the spray patterns are actually very slightly different
and so they are evidently different models - anyway I just went for
broke, more out of interest than anything else really - and predictable
the whole thing burst apart in a flurry of broken bits of polystyrene.
There was clearly no way of dismantling it properly, and how bloody
irritating is that? I'd have expected more from a company like Mira.

Yes, I'd have expected better from them, the replacement I bought last
year was the same construction as the original so it doesn't look like
they've pruned down the design of the Response head but I don't know how
their other models compare. Could it have been a Mira lookalike?

Mira do seem quite keen on non-serviceable bits though. The thermostatic
mixer and control cartridge is designed as a non-serviceable unit
costing over a hundred quid (or more if you get it direct from Mira).
Ours developed a problem which left it running full flow even with the
knob turned to "off". I was about to order up a replacement when our
friendly local plumber said he'd taken one to bits before so it was
worth a try on the grounds that we couldn't make it any worse. After
prising off numerous snap on bits of plastic and springs and
re-lubricating with silicone grease he got it going and I had nearly
another couple of years out of it before having to get a new cartridge.
If the unit hadn't been flush mounted into the wall I could have just
replaced the entire shower for the same cost or less but would have had
to rip off several tiles to do that.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike
Clarke scribeth thus
[...]

Showerspares on the net somewhere used them last year for Mira bits and
cheaper./..

Excellent unit's, had a couple some 10 years now and work fine apart
from one where the brushes did the motor armature a power of no good;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 February 2011 18:13:08 UTC, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mike
Clarke scribeth thus
[...]

This site has given me the clue to opening the shower head to enable a thorough de-scale. Remove the outer ring by gently prizing it off with a wide thin screwdriver. Then using a rubber band type of jar lid opener I could rotate the showered hole plate anticlockwise to remove. Below that is a white plate with a central crosshead screw. Undoing that allows access to the bits below. Lift the white plate up vertically noting where all the little parts below are located if required but only the perforated shower disc really needs to be remove. Separate the rubber plate from the plastic frame and soak all in vinegar to remove the lime scale. Thanks for the clue how get the head apart.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My mira response shower head was dropped in bath and has come apart showing two springs and a cross thread screw on the spray part. Is it beyond putting back together? I have tried to no avail!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think a plastic bit normally splits where a screw fixes it together and
needs a part replacing. I do hate plastic engineering myself. I do not have
one of these, but a neighbour did.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Removing Mira Shower Forestfan UK diy 4 August 20th 07 04:28 PM
Which Mira shower for a combi? [email protected] UK diy 7 June 23rd 06 09:00 AM
Servicing a Mira 8 shower? LilaDuncan UK diy 5 February 6th 06 05:50 PM
Mira 415 Shower Steve7474 UK diy 7 September 22nd 05 06:33 PM
Shower Handset Repacement Stuart UK diy 1 August 3rd 04 03:02 PM