Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default copper sheeting

The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would
seem to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I
think the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location
where nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material
they could use? It's quite likely the site will be sold off as part of
the cuts (having just spent vast sums creating disabled access), but
this copper business could cost them loads in the interim.
Maybe extending the cctv system up on to the roof would be the answer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 10:54, stuart noble wrote:
The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would
seem to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I
think the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location
where nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material
they could use?

There are liquid polymer systems designed to replace copper.

http://www.rmpolymers.co.uk/copper-roof-alternative

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 11:29, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 25/02/2011 10:54, stuart noble wrote:
The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would
seem to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I
think the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location
where nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material
they could use?

There are liquid polymer systems designed to replace copper.

http://www.rmpolymers.co.uk/copper-roof-alternative

Colin Bignell

Thanks for that. And I assume that coating the existing copper would
also render it unsaleable as scrap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would seem
to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I think
the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location where
nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material they
could use? It's quite likely the site will be sold off as part of the cuts
(having just spent vast sums creating disabled access), but this copper
business could cost them loads in the interim.
Maybe extending the cctv system up on to the roof would be the answer

As long as it is not a listed building they may be able to use different
materials. There are numerous churches that have to replace the stolen
lead from the roof with new lead for the pikeys to keep taking because the
regulations do not permit use of any other material.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:54*am, stuart noble wrote:
The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would
seem to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I
think the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location
where nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material
they could use? It's quite likely the site will be sold off as part of
the cuts (having just spent vast sums creating disabled access), but
this copper business could cost them loads in the interim.
Maybe extending the cctv system up on to the roof would be the answer

there's also aluminium

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 11:38, stuart noble wrote:
On 25/02/2011 11:29, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 25/02/2011 10:54, stuart noble wrote:
The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would
seem to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I
think the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location
where nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material
they could use?

There are liquid polymer systems designed to replace copper.

http://www.rmpolymers.co.uk/copper-roof-alternative

Colin Bignell

Thanks for that. And I assume that coating the existing copper would
also render it unsaleable as scrap.

I would expect any coating to burn off when the copper was melted down.
In any case, it would pobably be more sensible to strip the copper off
and sell it legally for scrap, rather than use it as a base for the new
coating.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:54*am, stuart noble wrote:
The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would
seem to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I
think the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location
where nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material
they could use? It's quite likely the site will be sold off as part of
the cuts (having just spent vast sums creating disabled access), but
this copper business could cost them loads in the interim.
Maybe extending the cctv system up on to the roof would be the answer

There used to be a product called Nuralite which was a bitumen bonded
fibre sheet. I think it may no longer be on the market.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 03:42:26 -0800 (PST), Tabby wrote:

there's also aluminium

Or zinc.

Both about 1/4th cost of copper ATM at about £2.50/kg with copper a
shade under £10/kg.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:54*am, stuart noble wrote:
The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would
seem to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I
think the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location
where nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material
they could use? It's quite likely the site will be sold off as part of
the cuts (having just spent vast sums creating disabled access), but
this copper business could cost them loads in the interim.
Maybe extending the cctv system up on to the roof would be the answer

Zinc sheet. Aluminium sheet. Plastic coated steel. Felt (bitumous or
plastic) with copper foil attached. Lots of choices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 16:22, harry wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:54 am, stuart wrote:
The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would
seem to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I
think the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location
where nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material
they could use? It's quite likely the site will be sold off as part of
the cuts (having just spent vast sums creating disabled access), but
this copper business could cost them loads in the interim.
Maybe extending the cctv system up on to the roof would be the answer

Zinc sheet. Aluminium sheet. Plastic coated steel. Felt (bitumous or
plastic) with copper foil attached. Lots of choices.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope the council makes a logical decision.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would expect any coating to burn off when the copper was melted down.

Yes, I suppose it's no different to the pvc on cable
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would seem
to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I think
the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location where
nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material they
could use? It's quite likely the site will be sold off as part of the cuts
(having just spent vast sums creating disabled access), but this copper
business could cost them loads in the interim.
Maybe extending the cctv system up on to the roof would be the answer

BIL is a vicar and has had the lead stolen three times from the same church
roof. Despite protest from English heritage he had it replaced with
stainless steel and that has not been touched, despite signs of another
attempted theft shortly after the last replacement.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 5:27 pm, "MuddyMike" wrote:
[...]

A practical common sense solution - he deserves encouragement !
EH increasingly appear to behave like a load of ivory-tower-dwelling ar
$eholes.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , stuart noble
scribeth thus
[...]

Well they damm well ought to seeing that every time the price of Copper
peaks like it is at the moment its going to happen again and Again...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library
roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected
scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would seem
to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I think
the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location where
nobody would take much notice.
My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material they
could use? It's quite likely the site will be sold off as part of the cuts
(having just spent vast sums creating disabled access), but this copper
business could cost them loads in the interim.
Maybe extending the cctv system up on to the roof would be the answer

You want something to (1) ensure the integrity of the roof, (2) possibly
remain aesthetically pleasing and (3) be either pikey resistant or not worth
the pikey b*stards stealing.
Think outside the box, there are plenty of solutions available.
N.

Plastic sheeting-but what ? [email protected] UK diy 3 October 26th 06 11:22 PM
FX Sheeting riverhome Home Ownership 0 May 17th 06 10:16 PM
FX Sheeting riverhome Home Repair 0 May 17th 06 10:14 PM
Sheeting floorboards littleroots UK diy 1 June 6th 05 10:37 PM
PVC sheeting dirt dibbler UK diy 2 February 14th 05 04:39 PM