Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default new sashes for me old windas - species of timber? what to lookfor/gotchas please

really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

TIA

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 01:44:28 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

TIA

Pitch pine will last for decades.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

TIA

Pitch pine will last for decades.

--
Frank Erskine

can you still get it easily??

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

TIA

Pitch pine will last for decades.

--
Frank Erskine

can you still get it easily??

You'd have to ask your timber merchant.

You certainly won't get any from B&Q.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

TIA

Pitch pine will last for decades.

--
Frank Erskine

can you still get it easily??

You'd have to ask your timber merchant.

You certainly won't get any from B&Q.

Creosote is the most effective wood preservative avilable.
Oak one of teh most durable woods.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

TIA

Sash windows have been made of Softwood for several hundred years. Benefit
from the tradition and experience and do likewise. You need to buy the right
quality of softwood for joinery. This is known as 'Joinery Quality' softwood
so it's easy to remember.

If you want to do better than that then after you have made and fitted the
sashes but before they are primed give them several coats of clear
preservative. You will need time for this - full drying time for
preservative can be some days even inside in the warm.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2011 11:23, Tim W wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely. Sliding sashes are less vulnerable by design than a casement
type window, but most eventually fail at the bottom rail due to water
getting behind the putty.
The extra thickness/weight of DG panels creates problems if you're
retaining the original box
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

TIA

Pitch pine will last for decades.

--
Frank Erskine

can you still get it easily??

You'd have to ask your timber merchant.

Have you bought any recently?

You certainly won't get any from B&Q.

who they? ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

TIA

Pitch pine will last for decades.

--
Frank Erskine

can you still get it easily??

You'd have to ask your timber merchant.

You certainly won't get any from B&Q.

Creosote is the most effective wood preservative avilable.

yup a nice, stinky, rustic, unpaintable, agricultural outdoor finish
totally unsuitable for the project...

Oak one of teh most durable woods.

but does it warp n twist any more than others?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 15, 11:38 am, stuart noble wrote:
On 15/02/2011 11:23, Tim W wrote:

"Jim wrote in message
[...]

and by condensation pooling on the inside...

The extra thickness/weight of DG panels creates problems if you're
retaining the original box

yup - lead weights will sort that with possible fixed top sashes
releasing extra space in the weight boxes for the lower sash weights -
or even use both sets of weights for the lower sashes....

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 15, 10:20*am, Jim K wrote:
On Feb 15, 10:00 am, Frank Erskine

Pitch pine will last for decades.

can you still get it easily??

You only need thin sections, so look at recycled. If you're near a
Victorian city, there's probably someone with stocks of old roof
beams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

TIA

Pitch pine will last for decades.

--
Frank Erskine

can you still get it easily??

You'd have to ask your timber merchant.

You certainly won't get any from B&Q.

Creosote is the most effective wood preservative avilable.

yup a nice, stinky, rustic, unpaintable, agricultural outdoor finish
totally unsuitable for the project...

If youre prepared to let them outgas for a few weeks before fitting,
and are going with a dark stain finish its the best preservative
going.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..
what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?
any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?
I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...
TIA
Pitch pine will last for decades.
--
Frank Erskine
can you still get it easily??

You'd have to ask your timber merchant.

You certainly won't get any from B&Q.

Creosote is the most effective wood preservative avilable.
Oak one of teh most durable woods.

But it warps like buggery.

better to use tropical hardwood and treat with plenty of paint..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 15, 6:58*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

better to use tropical hardwood and treat with plenty of paint..

Non alkyd paint!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 15, 9:44*am, Jim K wrote:
really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

Have a squizz at this:

http://www.biffvernon.freeserve.co.uk/oak_works.htm

It might be useful to you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 17, 10:23 pm, David Paste wrote:
On Feb 15, 9:44 am, Jim K wrote:

really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

Have a squizz at this:

http://www.biffvernon.freeserve.co.uk/oak_works.htm

It might be useful to you.

interesting in parts but nothing gritty
?why doesnt he use narrow plant-on glazing bars and subdivided sealed
units to maintain the historical look he drones on about?? (answer cos
it's his business and that would make them too easy to make so cheaper
for the punters..?)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2011 09:13, Jim K wrote:
On Feb 17, 10:23 pm, David wrote:
On Feb 15, 9:44 am, Jim wrote:

really is time I tried to make some new dble glazed sashes for me 6
sash windas here..

what species of wood would suit the job? (and vice versa)?

any tips/gotchas on selecting/inspecting individual pieces/lengths?

I am thinking how to avoid them warping or otherwise "failing
requiring re-doing" ...

Have a squizz at this:

http://www.biffvernon.freeserve.co.uk/oak_works.htm

It might be useful to you.

interesting in parts but nothing gritty
?why doesnt he use narrow plant-on glazing bars and subdivided sealed
units to maintain the historical look he drones on about?? (answer cos
it's his business and that would make them too easy to make so cheaper
for the punters..?)

Jim K

Any small section planted on to glass will have a very short lifespan
IME e.g. exterior hardwood beads
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 10:17 am, stuart noble wrote:
On 19/02/2011 09:13, Jim K wrote:

On Feb 17, 10:23 pm, David wrote:
On Feb 15, 9:44 am, Jim wrote:

[...]

care to expand? how small a section we talking? and how short a
lifespan?

can't say I've noticed any issues with any of our timber windows with
exterior beads (hard or treated softwood)...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2011 11:10, Jim K wrote:
On Feb 19, 10:17 am, stuart wrote:
On 19/02/2011 09:13, Jim K wrote:

On Feb 17, 10:23 pm, David wrote:
On Feb 15, 9:44 am, Jim wrote:

[...]

In my case, with a Magnet casement style window facing south west, a
couple of years was all I got out of the bottom bead. I replaced it
umpteen times over the years before switching to upvc. Had the moulded
edge been part of a larger section, I think it would have lasted longer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2011 09:13, Jim K wrote:

On Feb 17, 10:23 pm, David wrote:
On Feb 15, 9:44 am, Jim wrote:

[...]

how was the DG unit fixed to the wood? silicone and beads?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2011 09:13, Jim K wrote:

On Feb 17, 10:23 pm, David wrote:
On Feb 15, 9:44 am, Jim wrote:

[...]

Yep. It was a stepped DG unit
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2011 09:13, Jim K wrote:

On Feb 17, 10:23 pm, David wrote:
On Feb 15, 9:44 am, Jim wrote:

[...]

MMMM maybe explains it - water getting trapped behind through failed
silicone seal?

ages ago I swapped to drained and vented construction - no issues yet
7 years so far - not even repainted some of em yet!!

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 9:13*am, Jim K wrote:

interesting in parts but nothing gritty
?why doesnt he use narrow plant-on glazing bars and subdivided sealed
units to maintain the historical look he drones on about?? (answer cos
it's his business and that would make them too easy to make so cheaper
for the punters..?)

Jim K

Your guess is as good as mine Jim, but yes, I expect money is involved
somewhere!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 3:49*pm, stuart noble wrote:

how was the DG unit fixed to the wood? silicone and beads?

Jim K

Yep. It was a stepped DG unit

Was the paint carried slightly onto the glass? I have had excellent
results in keeping condensation out by painting onto the glass by
1-2mm or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 6:46 pm, stuart noble wrote:
On 19/02/2011 17:45, Jim K wrote:

On 19/02/2011 09:13, Jim K wrote:

On Feb 17, 10:23 pm, David wrote:
On Feb 15, 9:44 am, Jim wrote:

[...]

yes - total of 7 DG units (over 4 timber windows) face south - tho
some tree cover from late afternoon ~5pm.

Jim K

The Durability Of Malaysian Timber Species Hardwood Lumber Woodworking 0 October 25th 10 07:31 AM
Timber Species Q Osprey UK diy 9 December 14th 08 05:31 PM
About Trinitron Monitor: overbright problem and WINDAS software. . . Starflex Electronics Repair 0 April 11th 07 09:10 PM
looking for your SS countertop installation nightmares or gotchas yipyipyoho Home Repair 5 June 18th 06 02:28 PM
Restoring old sashes Fred UK diy 15 October 29th 04 06:18 PM