Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Begging for help again .....

You chaps very kindly offered help and advice last week for which I was most
grateful for.

I am begging for some further help to do with my PC.

I have just edited some files, 5 in all, each in a separate folder. I then
wanted to put them onto another drive, but in my haste missed the target
folder and put them into this one instead:

7180586c53f78e61274c

This folder contains many folders like 1024, 1025, 1028,1031 etc etc etc.

I have tried to move my folders back to where they should be but am
prevented from doing so, when I click on one of the folders, I get this
mesage on screen:

Access Is Denied

I thought I would fool the computer and drag my folders and some others into
a different folder but it out smarted me.

Any ideas how I can get my folders back as I do not have backup copies and
will not be able to replace them.

Jim

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 4:32 pm, "the_constructor"
wrote:
[...]

can you copy/move the *files* back and forget the folders, and remake
the folders in the "right" place after?

Jim K
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
[...]

That folder name looks like one that Windows makes during a major
update. If so, then log in as Administrator using the appropriate
password (Yours, if you're the only user) then try copying them to where
you want them.

If you've been trying to move them instead of copying, you may just have
come up against the way that some Windows system folders are by default
set for read only access. You may be able to copy them, but not move
them, as that means you need delete privileges, which a normal user may
not have.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:32:48 -0000, "the_constructor"
wrote:

[...]

Easiest way to do this without having to go to root level admin is to
boot from a Linux disc and use that to move the files. I would use a
Ubuntu disk.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Many many thanks to everyone for the help. I tried the various ways using
Windows but it wouldn't have it. Even tried with a DOS boot disk but
couldn't find the drive the files were on.
In the end I followed Ericp's advice and now have managed to get the files
back. Thanks Eric.
There was me thinking that a dog was mans best friend, just shows you it is
Ubuntu instead......
Kindest regards,

Jim

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 18:09:51 -0000, "the_constructor"
wrote:

Easiest way to do this without having to go to root level admin is to
boot from a Linux disc and use that to move the files. I would use a
Ubuntu disk.

Many many thanks to everyone for the help. I tried the various ways using
Windows but it wouldn't have it. Even tried with a DOS boot disk but
couldn't find the drive the files were on.
In the end I followed Ericp's advice and now have managed to get the files
back. Thanks Eric.
There was me thinking that a dog was mans best friend, just shows you it is
Ubuntu instead......
Kindest regards,

Jim

Pleased to have been of service to you.

And you have of course made backup copies in a safe place now?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor writes
"Ericp" wrote in message
.. .

Easiest way to do this without having to go to root level admin is to
boot from a Linux disc and use that to move the files. I would use a
Ubuntu disk.

Many many thanks to everyone for the help. I tried the various ways using
Windows but it wouldn't have it. Even tried with a DOS boot disk but
couldn't find the drive the files were on.
In the end I followed Ericp's advice and now have managed to get the files
back. Thanks Eric.
There was me thinking that a dog was mans best friend, just shows you it is
Ubuntu instead......
Kindest regards,

The tool of choice for this in windows used to be Unlocker:

"Unlocker will offer its users the possibility to unlock files that
trigger one of the following error messages: · Cannot delete file:
Access is denied· There has been a sharing violation.· The source or
destination file may be in use.· The file is in use by another program
or user.· Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected..."

That was until the author tried to bundle it with ad supported 'tools'
to offset his development costs and his credibility went out of the
window.

It remains a v useful tool and the use of the portable (no install)
version 1.9.0 should avoid any risk of adware infection, avail he

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...ad-142667.html

The install version has the benefit of right click operation. I continue
to use v 1.8.5 which is adware free, freeware and available here :
http://www.oldapps.com/unlocker.php?old_unlocker=3
--
fred
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article ,
the_constructor writes
"Ericp" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

All information recieved is good. Now I have EricP method and a copy of
yours Fred.
Much obliged to everyone.
Yes, Eric, I have made the necessary backups..... I keep telling myself that
I will not get caught out again, but sometimes the fingers are faster than
the brain..... hi
Jim

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Too late now, but next time make use of the menu at the top of every folder
window (File Edit View Tools Help). You can undo most file operations by
clicking "edit", then "undo move/copy/delete" etc.

If your "aim is a bit off", it's good practice to *copy* (not move) the
files to the new destination, then delete the originals when you're
absolutely sure you copied them to the right place. And you've still got the
safety net of the originals being in your recycle bin until you empty that.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message

[...]

You are 100% correct Metalguy2k8, this is exactly what I should have done
and do sometimes do.....

I did try the EDIT / UNDO command but that didn't even work....

Thanks for your input

Loan Begging Letter Arthur2 UK diy 16 June 2nd 08 04:30 PM
Garage door help! (Off topic but begging for help!) stryped Metalworking 15 May 1st 08 05:41 AM
Jennifer Aniston Begging Joe Home Repair 3 February 2nd 07 04:57 AM
A begging request. josoap Woodworking 1 May 2nd 05 01:05 PM