Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cordless Vacuum

Hi folks,

I've just got a new car, and in what will almost certainly be a short
lived exercise, I'm going to try and keep it clean...

I'm looking for a decent cordless vacuum. The Dyson thing looks good but
at £130 I think it's a bit OTT.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m,
stevelup moc.liamg@pulevets wrote:
Hi folks,

I've just got a new car, and in what will almost certainly be a short
lived exercise, I'm going to try and keep it clean...

I'm looking for a decent cordless vacuum. The Dyson thing looks good but
at £130 I think it's a bit OTT.

We got one in a local shoppie in a sale for £99 including a box of
additional tools. You get 10 minutes on a full charge - which is just
about enough to clean a cars (depending in the grime!) - which was the
primary reason for getting it - however it's proven really usefull since
then for doing little bits here & there roud the house where getting
out the big Dyson is a hassle for a little job...

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m,
stevelup moc.liamg@pulevets wrote:
I've just got a new car, and in what will almost certainly be a short
lived exercise, I'm going to try and keep it clean...

I'm looking for a decent cordless vacuum. The Dyson thing looks good but
at £130 I think it's a bit OTT.

Why cordless? Most cars have a 12 volt outlet in the shape of a cigar
lighter or whatever. No point in paying extra for batteries which can and
will fail.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In aweb.com,
stevelupmoc.liamg@pulevets wrote:
I've just got a new car, and in what will almost certainly be a short
lived exercise, I'm going to try and keep it clean...

I'm looking for a decent cordless vacuum. The Dyson thing looks good but
at £130 I think it's a bit OTT.

Why cordless? Most cars have a 12 volt outlet in the shape of a cigar
lighter or whatever. No point in paying extra for batteries which can and
will fail.

Quite, use the car battery.

Car vacuum cleaners are really quite proficient at vacuuming cars and
significantly cheaper than cordless devices, that will probably expire
before the job is finished unless you intend to vacuum daily.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 1, 9:57*am, stevelup moc.liamg@pulevets wrote:
Hi folks,

I've just got a new car, and in what will almost certainly be a short
lived exercise, I'm going to try and keep it clean...

I'm looking for a decent cordless vacuum. The Dyson thing looks good but
at £130 I think it's a bit OTT.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Steve

Not vacuum related but if you want some tips and guidance of keeping
it looking like new, have a look at the guides etc or join he

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/index.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 1, 9:57*am, stevelup moc.liamg@pulevets wrote:
Hi folks,

I've just got a new car, and in what will almost certainly be a short
lived exercise, I'm going to try and keep it clean...

I'm looking for a decent cordless vacuum. The Dyson thing looks good but
at £130 I think it's a bit OTT.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Steve

no such animal, there just isnt enough power available from small
batteries or a car lighter socket.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tabby wrote:
no such animal, there just isnt enough power available from small
batteries or a car lighter socket.

I've got a 12 volt car vacuum which is adequate for a quick tidy up.

--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2011 20:03, Old Codger wrote:
In aweb.com,
stevelupmoc.liamg@pulevets wrote:
I've just got a new car, and in what will almost certainly be a short
lived exercise, I'm going to try and keep it clean...

I'm looking for a decent cordless vacuum. The Dyson thing looks good but
at £130 I think it's a bit OTT.

Why cordless? Most cars have a 12 volt outlet in the shape of a cigar
lighter or whatever. No point in paying extra for batteries which can and
will fail.

Quite, use the car battery.

Car vacuum cleaners are really quite proficient at vacuuming cars and
significantly cheaper than cordless devices, that will probably expire
before the job is finished unless you intend to vacuum daily.

Spot on. A rechargeable Tchibo 12v cordless vac gave up the ghost after
less than 18 months. The 12v 2.6A lead-acid battery just wouldn't hold
a charge. I've recycled the battery, and when I get round to it will
attach a lead with a lighter plug to what's left of the vac after
removing the charging electronics.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 5:46*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *Tabby wrote:

no such animal, there just isnt enough power available from small
batteries or a car lighter socket.

I've got a 12 volt car vacuum which is adequate for a quick tidy up.

Yes, but thats a long way from the sort of power you get from a
domestic mains vac. Domestic vacs are generally in the region of
600w-1500w, try getting that from a cig lighter plug or sub Cs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tabby wrote:
I've got a 12 volt car vacuum which is adequate for a quick tidy up.

Yes, but thats a long way from the sort of power you get from a
domestic mains vac. Domestic vacs are generally in the region of
600w-1500w, try getting that from a cig lighter plug or sub Cs.

They might have a power input of that but it's not a true guide to
suction. And a car one doesn't have to cover such large areas.

Mains drills have also much more 'power' than a cordless one. Doesn't mean
cordless drills are useless.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
I've got a 12 volt car vacuum which is adequate for a quick tidy up.

Yes, but thats a long way from the sort of power you get from a
domestic mains vac. Domestic vacs are generally in the region of
600w-1500w, try getting that from a cig lighter plug or sub Cs.

They might have a power input of that but it's not a true guide to
suction. And a car one doesn't have to cover such large areas.

Mains drills have also much more 'power' than a cordless one. Doesn't mean
cordless drills are useless.

A little off topic, but what mains jobby is good?