Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ok - I have - but I can't!

?Several peeps on this NG have suggested 9some forcefully) that I use
Thunderbird as my news thingy whatsit.

Ever willing to help, I've downloaded Thunderbird & set it up for my e mail
account.

But...

I've created a newsgroup account, clicked on 'manage newsgroup
subscriptions', got a box headed 'subscribe', filled in the 'show items that
contain' box....

And bugger all happens....

Piggin computers

-- Dave - The Medway Handyman www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

?Several peeps on this NG have suggested 9some forcefully) that I use
Thunderbird as my news thingy whatsit.

Ever willing to help, I've downloaded Thunderbird & set it up for my e mail
account.

But...

I've created a newsgroup account, clicked on 'manage newsgroup
subscriptions', got a box headed 'subscribe', filled in the 'show items
that contain' box....

Click on the 'refresh' button and there should be a list of groups.
then if you type d-i-y in the box you should see what you want.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
?Several peeps on this NG have suggested 9some forcefully) that I use
Thunderbird as my news thingy whatsit.

Ever willing to help, I've downloaded Thunderbird & set it up for my e
mail account.

But...

I've created a newsgroup account, clicked on 'manage newsgroup
subscriptions', got a box headed 'subscribe', filled in the 'show items
that contain' box....

And bugger all happens....

Piggin computers

If you've not got a list in the subscribe box on that panel when you
open it, you'll need to wait until it's downloaded the entire list of
groups available from your news server. This takes a while, even on
broadband. There's a counter in the bottom left hand corner of the
panel. "xxxxx of yyyyy downloaded", or something similar.

Then, as you type characters into the "show items..." box, it will prune
the list it shows to groups that have that *exact* combination in.

Then, select the group(s) you want to subscribe to, by either clicking
on the group and using the "Subscribe" button or ticking the box on the
right of the list pane, then click on OK at the bottom. New groups will
then show up under the account name. As you open the groups, it will ask
you if you want to download all the headers or (by default) the most
recent 500.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Then try for a spell checker.
Try hard, it took me ages!
I'll stick with OE for a while longer.

Mr Pounder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
?Several peeps on this NG have suggested 9some forcefully) that I use
Thunderbird as my news thingy whatsit.

Ever willing to help, I've downloaded Thunderbird & set it up for my e
mail account.

But...

I've created a newsgroup account, clicked on 'manage newsgroup
subscriptions', got a box headed 'subscribe', filled in the 'show items
that contain' box....

And bugger all happens....

There's a bug in thunderbird, if you filter for 'uk.d-i-y' it won't
work, if you filter for 'k.d-i-y' it will work ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2011 19:34, Mr Pounder wrote:

Then try for a spell checker.
Try hard, it took me ages!

The British English Dictionary add-on seems to be working OK here for me.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/british-english-dictionary/

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/6d9x6cz if the above gives line wrap
problems.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
snip

There's a bug in thunderbird, if you filter for 'uk.d-i-y' it won't
work, if you filter for 'k.d-i-y' it will work ...

Now that's what I call intuitive.
I think I'll stay with OE for the time being.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

There's a bug in thunderbird, if you filter for 'uk.d-i-y' it won't
work, if you filter for 'k.d-i-y' it will work ...

Now that's what I call intuitive.
I think I'll stay with OE for the time being.

TB isn't perfect, but I'll bet ten bugs in TB get fixed before one does
in WLM!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Nick wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

There's a bug in thunderbird, if you filter for 'uk.d-i-y' it won't
work, if you filter for 'k.d-i-y' it will work ...

Now that's what I call intuitive.
I think I'll stay with OE for the time being.

TB isn't perfect, but I'll bet ten bugs in TB get fixed before one does
in WLM!

It also works if you just enter d-i-y.

The string you're searching for doesn't have to be at the start of the
group name.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

It also works if you just enter d-i-y.

The string you're searching for doesn't have to be at the start of the
group name.

Not in this case, but I ran into the problem when trying to find the
plusnet.* groups where is was natural to filter on the start of the name.