Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler problem - Alpha CD32C condensing combi

Over the last couple of days the boiler keeps failing but nothing in
particular seems to trigger the event AFAICS. The heating may have failed to
come on at a timed event or it may equally as well just stop working even
though it's been on for a couple of hours. Similarly, I filled the
washing-up bowl with hot water alright but, ten minutes later when I went to
fill it again, no hot water.

Each time it means a trundle up into the loft to reset the boiler - and so
far, it _is_ resetting each time, but obviously there'll come a time when it
won't reset.

The boiler has 4 LED's - A and B are red, C is amber and denotes burner lit
and D is green which is the power indicator. These LED's can be used as a
troubleshooting aid and Alpha have a section on their website that will show
the meaning of the various LED's that are lit or flashing in set sequences,
which should be very helpful. However, this is what it has to say about our
current predicament:

* Electrical supply to the boiler is on (Illuminated green D indicator)
o No action required
* Burner has failed to light (Illuminated red B indicator)

WELL YES, I KNOW THAT BECAUSE I'M COLD AND I'VE GOT NO HOT WATER!!!

o Rotate selector switch to the reset postition (3) and the
ignition sequence will restart after a delay of about 30 seconds

Like I said above, each time I've gone to reset it it has been successful
but it's happened 6 times over the last two days so something is obviously
not happy - anyone got any idea's on what it is? Oh, and water pressure is
good, both CH circuit and supply to boiler.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Zahut" wrote in message
[...]

Had similar ( I am not a plumber) and I am sure it is something to do with
the condensate pipe.
I had a couple of times when it froze so I accept that. But a couple of
times it just appeared to switch off for the hell of it.
I pulled the condensate and let it drip into a bucket and I also (dont know
why) blew into it in case there was a blockage.
It just seemingly started working again but I still suspect something to do
with the condensate part (s) although ok for the moment.
I hate the damn things I want a normal one again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
"Pete Zahut" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the input SS but I don't think it's anything to do with the
condensate, or at least not anything to do with the draining of the
condensate because the pipe has a good fall to it and we went through all
the ice, snow and very cold weather without any problems while three of our
neighbours had frozen condensate pipes. I suppose it may be something inside
the boiler casing before the condensate comes out, but it's not anything
condensate-wise on the outside of the boiler casing. Cheers anyway my
friend.