Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a DC adaptor instead of AC for decorative lights

I have a set of Christmas tree lights which came with a 24V AC
transformer. That transformer has died.

Would there be a problem using a 24V DC adaptor in its place?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have a set of Christmas tree lights which came with a 24V AC
transformer. That transformer has died.

Would there be a problem using a 24V DC adaptor in its place?

Daniele

Can't think of one provided the power rating is sufficient.
If the DC supply were designed to supply vastly more power than the
lights need then the voltage might be much higher than 24 when lightly
loaded.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 9:43*am, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
I have a set of Christmas tree lights which came with a 24V AC
transformer. That transformer has died.

Would there be a problem using a 24V DC adaptor in its place?

Daniele

No problem unless there is a switching/electronic device attached to
the lights. It would be a no-go on twinkling lights for example, the
contacts would probably weld up after a while.
The bulbs will last longer on DC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have a set of Christmas tree lights which came with a 24V AC
transformer. That transformer has died.

Would there be a problem using a 24V DC adaptor in its place?

Daniele

Can't think of one provided the power rating is sufficient.
If the DC supply were designed to supply vastly more power than the
lights need then the voltage might be much higher than 24 when lightly
loaded.

I just realised that the DC adaptor is rated for a measly 3VA... not
quite enough!

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 9:43*am, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
I have a set of Christmas tree lights which came with a 24V AC
transformer. That transformer has died.

Would there be a problem using a 24V DC adaptor in its place?

Daniele

Sounds like filmament lamps, in which case no problem.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 9:43*am, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
I have a set of Christmas tree lights which came with a 24V AC
transformer. That transformer has died.

Would there be a problem using a 24V DC adaptor in its place?

Daniele

It should be OK provided you get the polarity right.
The current has to go the oposite way round in the southern
hemisphere. Some bulb filaments are coiled left hand to compensate but
these are quite rare. Of course, you may be lucky and have universal
bulbs where the filament is a coiled coil.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

On Dec 14, 9:43 am, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
I have a set of Christmas tree lights which came with a 24V AC
transformer. That transformer has died.

Would there be a problem using a 24V DC adaptor in its place?

Daniele

It should be OK provided you get the polarity right.
The current has to go the oposite way round in the southern
hemisphere. Some bulb filaments are coiled left hand to compensate but
these are quite rare. Of course, you may be lucky and have universal
bulbs where the filament is a coiled coil.

They are northern lights, so I should be OK.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message
John wrote:

On Dec 14, 9:43 am, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:
I have a set of Christmas tree lights which came with a 24V AC
transformer. That transformer has died.

Would there be a problem using a 24V DC adaptor in its place?

Daniele

It should be OK provided you get the polarity right.
The current has to go the oposite way round in the southern
hemisphere. Some bulb filaments are coiled left hand to compensate but
these are quite rare. Of course, you may be lucky and have universal
bulbs where the filament is a coiled coil.

They are northern lights, so I should be OK.

Will they stretch t' foot of our stairs?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message
John wrote:

It should be OK provided you get the polarity right.
The current has to go the oposite way round in the southern
hemisphere. Some bulb filaments are coiled left hand to compensate but
these are quite rare. Of course, you may be lucky and have universal
bulbs where the filament is a coiled coil.

They are northern lights, so I should be OK.

Will they stretch t' foot of our stairs?

Well - the little coils in the bulbs are pretty tight, so I don't know
how much is in there, but I bet it could be uncoiled to make it longer.
How far north are your stairs?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

Graham. wrote:

Will they stretch t' foot of our stairs?

Well - the little coils in the bulbs are pretty tight, so I don't know
how much is in there, but I bet it could be uncoiled to make it longer.
How far north are your stairs?

It was once possible to buy replacement coiled elements for
radiant fires. You simply removed the failed one, used a piece
of string to get the length and stretched the new one to suit.
My dad told me that in his college days (1930s) they heated a
room by suspending such an element from the mantelpiece.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 5:18*pm, Chris J Dixon wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
Graham. wrote:

Will they stretch t' foot of our stairs?

Well - the little coils in the bulbs are pretty tight, so I don't know
how much is in there, but I bet it could be uncoiled to make it longer.
How far north are your stairs?

It was once possible to buy replacement coiled elements for
radiant fires. *You simply removed the failed one, used a piece
of string to get the length and stretched the new one to suit.
My dad told me that in his college days (1930s) they heated a
room by suspending such an element from the mantelpiece.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

As an apprentice I spent many happy hours making such elements. Not
only for fires, for hotplates, immersion heaters, storage heaters,
irons. grills etc
:-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:21:31 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

It was once possible to buy replacement coiled elements for
radiant fires. *You simply removed the failed one, used a piece
of string to get the length and stretched the new one to suit.
My dad told me that in his college days (1930s) they heated a
room by suspending such an element from the mantelpiece.

As an apprentice I spent many happy hours making such elements. Not
only for fires, for hotplates, immersion heaters, storage heaters,
irons. grills etc
:-(

Apprenticeship ? I would have thought that would have been taught in
Elementary School.

Bye.

G.harman