Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing Polyplumb fittings.

I have 15mm Polyplumb piping in my loft and a T-piece is weeping - a
washing-up bowl full every fortnight. I'm not sure if this is a long
standing problem or whether it started after I put insulation on the pipes.
The manufacturer's web site suggests that in order to replace them the old
bits should be cut off the pipes - which would involve new sections of
pipework and lots of new joints.
Can anyone suggest an alternative?
Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil B
writes
I have 15mm Polyplumb piping in my loft and a T-piece is weeping - a
washing-up bowl full every fortnight. I'm not sure if this is a long
standing problem or whether it started after I put insulation on the pipes.
The manufacturer's web site suggests that in order to replace them the old
bits should be cut off the pipes - which would involve new sections of
pipework and lots of new joints.
Can anyone suggest an alternative?
Phil

How quickly does it take for it to get wet? If you can dry it off (maybe
with the help of a hair drier or a hot air gun), I would try doing a
Plastic Padding and fibreglass matting 'bandage' job around T-piece.

Take the paste and bandage an inch or two along each pipe. I little heat
will help it to go off quickly.

When it is hard (say, 30 minutes later), put a jubilee clip over the
repair at each leg of the T. This will prevent any seepage. The repair
should last for ever.

If there isn't any real pressure, you might get away with doing a
similar bandage job with self-amalgamating tape (be fairly generous).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 11, 7:15 pm, "Phil B" phil.remove.brady@hotmail dot co dot
united kingdom wrote:
I have 15mm Polyplumb piping in my loft and a T-piece is weeping - a
washing-up bowl full every fortnight. I'm not sure if this is a long
standing problem or whether it started after I put insulation on the pipes.
The manufacturer's web site suggests that in order to replace them the old
bits should be cut off the pipes - which would involve new sections of
pipework and lots of new joints.
Can anyone suggest an alternative?
Phil

diassemble, replace the O rings and reassemble the fittings?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have 15mm Polyplumb piping in my loft and a T-piece is weeping

Exactly why I refuse to use the stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2010 19:15, Phil B wrote:

I have 15mm Polyplumb piping in my loft and a T-piece is weeping - a
washing-up bowl full every fortnight. I'm not sure if this is a long
standing problem or whether it started after I put insulation on the pipes.
The manufacturer's web site suggests that in order to replace them the old
bits should be cut off the pipes - which would involve new sections of
pipework and lots of new joints.
Can anyone suggest an alternative?

I'd rather eat Marmite than have to deal with Polyplumb fittings ever
again, such was my recent joy at having to use them.

They're not de-mountable and re-usable in the way that, say, Speedfit
are - you have to replace the seals and grab rings every time - the
re-usable bit consists of purely the outer plastic casing and the inner
pipe support.

You can buy the seals and grab rings as a "component pack", but you
might just as well get a whole new T-piece for the price of the things.
Whilst you're at the plumbers merchants, grab three 15mm pipe inserts
too, as it could turn out when you take things apart that they weren't
used to start with.

There's no need to cut the pipes, just undo the collar on the fitting,
pull the pipe out, snip off the old grab ring, put in a pipe support if
there isn't one already and attach new fitting to the pipe.

--
Cheers, Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 5:23 pm, Peter B wrote:
[...]

exactly;)
or whilst you're there change it out to a-n-other make/type of T
piece? even (cough spit) compresssion if you prefer..

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter B" wrote in message
[...]

thanks Pete, will try that.
Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil B" phil.remove.brady@hotmail dot co dot united kingdom wrote in
message ...
I have 15mm Polyplumb piping in my loft and a T-piece is weeping - a
washing-up bowl full every fortnight. I'm not sure if this is a long
standing problem or whether it started after I put insulation on the pipes.
The manufacturer's web site suggests that in order to replace them the old
bits should be cut off the pipes - which would involve new sections of
pipework and lots of new joints.
Can anyone suggest an alternative?
Phil

An update - a few days ago I tried pushing the pipes further into the
fitting. It seems to have stopped the leak, but I'm leaving that bowl
underneath it for the time being!
Thanks all
Phil